Egypt cultural tourism revenues see steep rise in October

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Egypt cultural tourism revenues see steep rise in October

Post by DJKeefy »

Revenues generated from touristic visits to museums and antiquities sites recorded LE6 million ($0.8 million) in October, the antiquities ministry stated on Sunday.

Despite the whopping 253 percent rise from September, when cultural touristic visits churned out some LE1.7 million ($0.2 million), revenues remain sharply below 2010 levels.

In October 2010, the country's coffers received around LE111 million ($16 million) in revenues from museum and ancient site visits.

2010 was Egypt's tourism peak, when an estimated 14.7 million tourists visited the country, generating $12.5 billion in revenue.

According to the antiquities ministry statement, the ministry has suffered from limited financial resources. However, it has remained committed to saving LE53 million ($7.6 million) per month.

At the Euromoney Conference on Monday, tourism minister Hisham Zaazou clarified that global tourism trends are now geared towards leisure travel.

Zaazou pointed out that sun-and-sea tourism represents 80 percent of Egypt's tourism trade, while cultural tourism takes the remaining 20 percent.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/86299.aspx

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: Egypt cultural tourism revenues see steep rise in Octobe

Post by Bombay »

DJKeefy wrote:Revenues generated from touristic visits to museums and antiquities sites recorded LE6 million ($0.8 million) in October, the antiquities ministry stated on Sunday.

Despite the whopping 253 percent rise from September, when cultural touristic visits churned out some LE1.7 million ($0.2 million), revenues remain sharply below 2010 levels.

In October 2010, the country's coffers received around LE111 million ($16 million) in revenues from museum and ancient site visits.

2010 was Egypt's tourism peak, when an estimated 14.7 million tourists visited the country, generating $12.5 billion in revenue.

According to the antiquities ministry statement, the ministry has suffered from limited financial resources. However, it has remained committed to saving LE53 million ($7.6 million) per month.

At the Euromoney Conference on Monday, tourism minister Hisham Zaazou clarified that global tourism trends are now geared towards leisure travel.

Zaazou pointed out that sun-and-sea tourism represents 80 percent of Egypt's tourism trade, while cultural tourism takes the remaining 20 percent.

Can hardly blame him for trying to get a recovery in the Red Sea Resorts first then can we.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

DJKeefy wrote:Revenues generated from touristic visits to museums and antiquities sites recorded LE6 million ($0.8 million) in October, the antiquities ministry stated on Sunday.
Well, I didn't contribute at all to that - I visited Deir el-Medineh on Eclipse Day (3 Nov) on my ISIC card - LE20. The only cultural visit I made on my latest visit.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Brian Yare wrote:
Well, I didn't contribute at all to that - I visited Deir el-Medineh on Eclipse Day (3 Nov) on my ISIC card - LE20. The only cultural visit I made on my latest visit.
Are you a student then :?:
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Brian Yare wrote:

Brian-Would you care to enlighten us what accredited educational institution you are legitimately enrolled at, if any?
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Bombay wrote:
DJKeefy wrote: Zaazou pointed out that sun-and-sea tourism represents 80 percent of Egypt's tourism trade, while cultural tourism takes the remaining 20 percent.

Can hardly blame him for trying to get a recovery in the Red Sea Resorts first then can we.
80% of what though, tourist numbers? If so, then it can't possibly represent 80% of tourist expenditure. Cultural tourists probably contribute more money per capita than beach tourists so for the effort involved in getting one of them, there would be more benefit.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bombay wrote:Are you a student then :?:
Yes, of course. Otherwise how would I get an ISIC card?
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Brian Yare wrote:
Do you mind telling us where? I ask because everyone and their mother knows how easy it is to get an ISIC card in Luxor without being a student and I hadn't been aware that you had gone back to school.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Do you mind telling us where? I ask because everyone and their mother knows how easy it is to get an ISIC card in Luxor without being a student and I hadn't been aware that you had gone back to school.
I am an undergraduate student at the University of Warwick. Previously I was with the University of Exeter.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Good luck with your studies!
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Brian Yare wrote:
Buy it in the office here Brian :br !
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

IMHO of course, but it must be difficult to admit, being a well off person, own publishing business, regular trips over here and what have you, to freely say that you use a cheap discount card to see the attractions. Go on, next time leave the card at home and pay the full whack. Its more helpful for the ailing economy. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

A student is a student and it isn't our business to judge how rich the student is to know whether he can afford to pay full price or not. Yes, it would mean more money for the ministry but if he is indeed enrolled then he isn't breaking any laws by paying half price and he shouldn't be made to feel guilty about it.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

For the last 2 or 3 years I have probably lost out with the ISIC card, as I use it very little.

(but when I went into Thomas Cook to change money last month they accepted it as identity when I'd left my passport and other photo ID in the car. :-) )

I am hoping that a few new sites are open this winter so that I can take advantage of the card! Temple of Mut? Amenophis III? maybe even Medamut?

I wait to hear what is actually opening!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:A student is a student and it isn't our business to judge how rich the student is to know whether he can afford to pay full price or not. Yes, it would mean more money for the ministry but if he is indeed enrolled then he isn't breaking any laws by paying half price and he shouldn't be made to feel guilty about it.
Do not take what I said too seriously GD, in this case I was taking the ''P'' out of him as he does to me now and again. I see no problem with discount cards for the elderly. I would probably have my free bus pass if I still lived in the UK. And when I open my new language school, I may warrant one. [by that I mean to be entitled to a discount card, not an arrest warrant] :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.