The Curse of the Pharaohs…..

The Literary Corner is a place to discuss your favourite books and authors and to add your own poems and stories.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

The Curse of the Pharaohs…..

Post by Who2 »

You have probably already read this By Elizabeth Peters a Yank written about 1980.
It's quite good, it should be a film, she 'nicked Carter's discovery plus she has H Rider Haggard and an amazing not-so 'genteel English wife as the archeologists and she has used the Lord Baskerville bit having loads of murders like Arthur Conan Doyle.
It's great because she uses the German Hse as the Baskerville's HQ..brilliant, love it to death… :cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Curse_ ... hs_(novel)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Re: The Curse of the Pharaohs…..

Post by Cyprus100 »

Sadly, she died earlier this year.....
We have the whole collection of the Amelia Peabody series of books. There are around 18 or 19 of them and last time we were in Luxor, the books were for sale at the gift shop underneath the Winter Palace hotel.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....
Maakari
United Kingdom

Post by Maakari »

Yes, I have whole series. They were in our hospital charity book shop. Bargain all the books for about £5. Great light hearted read. Takes you back to the gentry that frequented Luxor at the time. Lovely to imagine sitting onthe terrace of Sheppards hotel balcony in Cairo, sipping a evening apperiftif, before getting on the steam train back to Luxor and having your "man" pick you up in that new fangled motor car that need s a crank to start!
LivinginLuxor
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by LivinginLuxor »

An excellent series. I've read most of them, but to me the annoying thing is that the covers never say No 1, No 2 etc, as they are consecutive - one has Ramses as a baby, the next one I bought had him as a married main with children! They do need to be read in chronological order.

I also enjoyed her treatment of that great looter, Budge!
I might agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong!
Stan