Capt Phillips: Tom Hanks

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Capt Phillips: Tom Hanks

Post by Who2 »

"Halfway through this film, ice-cream beak.
The plot: A Yankee flagged super container gets highjacked by 4 somali pirates.
So far, I'm with the pirates, no mean feat trying to climb on to a 17,375 DWTonnes tanker 600ft long traveling at 18 knots in choppy seas with water cannons raining down upon you.

Quote: MV Maersk Alabama has fallen prey to these Somali buccaneers almost five times in the past two years. Though four times, buccaneers have been successfully prevented from taking hostage of the vessel and its crew members, there was a huge risk of life and vessel once in the year 2009, when the vessel’s captain was captured by the hijackers while it was navigating at a distance of about 450 kilometres from the Somali waterline.

"Now with the Americans 2nd amendment 'the right to bear arms, (anything from a pistol to a rocket launcher) didn't they, the crew blow them out of the water or fire petrol at them or a veery pistol or even a nail gun which will kill at 20 yards, Molotov cocktails!

Quote: Midnight, 14 May 2011, while transiting westbound in the international recognized corridor, Maersk Alabama was approached by a skiff of five pirates on the starboard stern. After turning to follow the ship's wake, the skiff quickly closed in to 30 metres (98 ft), preparing to board via a hook ladder, whereupon the embarked security team fired two shots into the skiff. The skiff quickly broke off and radar contact was lost after 10 minutes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Phillips_

So far, Tom Hanks isn't Batman or even Superman bit more like Wa**man….back to the movie…& choc-chip with nuts… :cool:
**2 stars so far…..anon reviewer...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Re: Capt Phillips: Tom Hanks

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Drat and darn I saw the movie previews and thought this might be a good movie.......but 2 stars at popcorn munchies break time? :( Darn it all another one I thought might be ok down the tubes........

I read "The Pirates of Somalia: Inside Their Hidden World" by Jay Bahadur last year. Was a pretty ok read so was thinking the movie would expand on the book.......

Let us know Who2 your rating at the end of Capt Phillips please.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

So all in all 4 ****stars pretty good thriller, true as any American film.
The mouse that roared or sledgehammer to crack a nut… :cool:
Ps: Chinese Somalian subtitles did not subtract, recommended viewing.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Ta muchly, won't strike it off my list of future probably viewings.