A part of Memnon colossi uncovered in Luxor

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

A part of Memnon colossi uncovered in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy »

The European-Egyptian archaeological mission headed by famed Egyptologist Horig Sourouzian has unearthed a collection of quartzite blocks that had been missing since antiquity from Memnon colossi, at the entrance of King Amenhotep III's temple at Kom El-Hitan on Luxor's west bank.

Egypt's antiquities minister Mohamed Ibrahim told Ahram Online on Sunday that the blocks belong to the northern colossus and depict a part of the statue's arm, painted belt and skirt.

These blocks, Ibrahim went on, were missing since antiquity following an earthquake that led to the destruction of the temple, with the exception of these two colossi which once decorated the temple's entrance gate.

Aly El-Asfar, head of the ministry's ancient Egyptian antiquities section, said that in addition to the 88cm tall and 76cm large blocks, the mission had also uncovered others that were once part of the colossus' royal crown and foundation stone.

"It is a very important discovery," said El-Asfar, adding that the discovery of these blocks will lead archaeologists to reconstruct both colossi and return them to their original glory.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/94392.aspx

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: A part of Memnon colossi uncovered in Luxor

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Are the colossi not of the Graeco-Roman era ? And NOT Egyptian.
Thats how they operated, more decorative then useful. Probably the name is a giveaway too, as they like to name things colosi.. Colosseum, etc...

Did you know there is a temple of Hephaestus in Athens, ? which sounds very similar to a West Bank Structure.
But that look's more like an Egyptian temple then Hepshetuts does, with the more traditional columns like on the East bank temples.

you also see steps designed like that in many a village port slipway, in places like Cornwall and Wales, maybe other places too.
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Are the colossi not of the Graeco-Roman era ? And NOT Egyptian.
The Colossi are 18th Dynasty: Amenhotep III. They were repaired in Graeco-Roman times after an earthquake caused one of them to sing in the morning.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bullet Magnet wrote:Are the colossi not of the Graeco-Roman era ? And NOT Egyptian
Graeco-Roman ?? You're 'avin a Turkish mate :)))
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

They were built by Amenhotep III. They were a popular tourist destination...in the Greco-Roman Period.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:They were built by Amenhotep III. They were a popular tourist destination...in the Greco-Roman Period.
Even the emperor Hadrian paid them a visit. Aaaah....the good old days of mass tourism :(
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

The Greeks were around for longer than you think in Egypt. Greek and Roman. 2 Very similar empires that clearly LEARNED from the Egyptians and took that knowledge home.
The Greeks were one step ahead of the Romans, because they were involved with the people living in Egypt before History, and had also been to Sumaria and adopted their religion and architecture of sorts...

Greeks have much to do with the distortion of Egypt as we know it. That is by design. Sitchin also lied regarding his translations of the Sumerian text's, just to add to the confusion.

Up until the late 1800's, Many who went to Egypt came back much smarter than when they arrived... :cool:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bullet Magnet wrote:The Greeks were around for longer than you think in Egypt.......

Greeks have much to do with the distortion of Egypt as we know it. That is by design.

With the greatest respect.....what are you on about ?? :ni:
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Egypt's Past, the one clouded in mystery by design, by the Greeks and then by the Romans.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bullet Magnet wrote:The Greeks were one step ahead of the Romans, because they were involved with the people living in Egypt before History, and had also been to Sumaria and adopted their religion and architecture of sorts...
I have not yet seen any evidence of Greeks involved with the people living in Egypt before History. History (literally "his story") is usually defined as starting with the invention of writing in one form or another, so somewhere around 3000 B.C. Some might start it earlier, with the oral tradition. So who are your early Greeks ... in Egypt?
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

In Hiding it would seem Brian.. :tk

We know that History is written by the Victor, but if you get your backside whipped in a war, or have something to hide, then that too will change in History, especially if you know no one else knows about either event..
There are some things the Greeks and Romans did not want you to know, and have even gone as far as saying things like Socrates did not exist, yes, that has been said, and that Plato's 3 books on Atlantis were just fiction.

The later Greeks changed many things about Egypt, we all know about the addition of "I" 's and "S" and "IS" added to the names of well known so called Gods, so in effect, what may have happened is that these Ancients did not really speak much.
Drop some of those "I" 's and "S"'s and "IS" and listen to how the names now sound,, More like primitive Grunts..

The Romans also had a hand in changing what we think we know about Egypt, and when you add in the Old Testament, things are clearly not what they seemed to be out there.

There has to be a certain element of truth in the Old testament, or people would never have fallen for it. I am an avid reader of the Old good book.
The New testament has certainly been changed over the years, they wrote out reincarnation around about the time Islam was introduced. Clearly the control was not working because of this knowledge people had back then..

"Repent thy sins", and the people say "Not now, maybe next time"...

Anyhow, this is all for a bit later on this year, as I did say I would give my own personal take of what I think was going on back then and how it has affected us today.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Bullet Magnet wrote:In Hiding it would seem Brian.. :tk

Anyhow, this is all for a bit later on this year, as I did say I would give my own personal take of what I think was going on back then and how it has affected us today.
I will wait until later in the year then. Maybe you will find Greeks at Hierokonpolis or Abydos, but I doubt it.

The Greeks and Romans are credited with inventing many things that were known elsewhere earlier: columns, arches, ablutions, etc. :dv :dv :dv