British Tourist Raped in Sharm el Sheik

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

British Tourist Raped in Sharm el Sheik

Post by HEPZIBAH »

British Tourist 'Raped' On Holiday in Sharm-el-Sheikh
IB TimesBy Lilian Anekwe | IB Times – Sun, Mar 23, 2014

A British holidaymaker claims she was raped in her hotel room by a security guard at the popular Egyptian resort where she was staying.
The guard had been walking with the woman back to her room in a five-star hotel in Sharm-el-Sheikh, when she alleges he pulled her into her bedroom and raped her.
The alleged victim, in her forties, was assisted by the British Consulate in the Red Sea resort.
A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are aware of an incident involving a British national. We are providing assistance."
The FCO website warns British tourists about a rise in crime. "In 2012, the FCO handled 23 cases of sexual assault and six cases of rape against British tourists while on holiday in Egypt."
The victim has since flown back to Britain and been interviewed by detectives from Hampshire Police.
The attack comes as the Foreign Office has warned of a rise in cases of sexual assault against Britons in Egypt since the Arab Spring uprisings of 2011, including in hotels.
Recent figures show the number of European tourists visiting Egypt has dropped by 24%, prompting the Egyptian Government to beef up security measures in tourist regions, including Sharm-el-Sheikh, to protect tourists. The tourism industry accounts for about 10% of the country's gross domestic product.
In 2010, Egypt received 14.7 million visitors, a record high, but numbers dipped to just 10 million in 2011 before climbing to 11.5 million in 2012. The numbers of visitors in 2013 is not yet known.
There has been political unrest in Egypt since former president Hosni Mubarak was deposed in 2011. Tourist areas around the Red Sea had been considered generally safe, but in recent months German and Swiss tourist operators have changed the travel advice they give to citizens.
The German branch of Tui Travel, Europe's largest tour operator, and other companies are sending home hundreds of German tourists after the German government changed its travel advice to the region. Swiss tourists have been warned against travelling to Sharm-el-Sheikh.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/british-touris ... ml#aQWKzdZ

I wish there had been an explanation as to why a women staying in a 5* (or any other star come to that) hotel needed a security guard to take her to her room!

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: British Tourist Raped in Sharm el Sheik

Post by Glyphdoctor »

The power was off and she couldn't find her way in the dark?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Glyphdoctor wrote:The power was off and she couldn't find her way in the dark?
A possible explanation, although I'm given to understand that power cuts don't affect hotels because they all have generators. (Yeah, right! Like I'm going to believe that in the real world!). And people wonder why I always suggest having a small torch in your bag/pocket!

Please don't anyone get me wrong. I am not belittling this woman's experience. It just seemed odd to me and was the bit of the report that really stood out to me.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Maybe she was drunk and was too inebriated to find her way back to her room unaided.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Maybe she was drunk and was too inebriated to find her way back to her room unaided.
Did she pay backsheesh for the service? 8)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

A woman being raped is no cause for levity Brian.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Absolutely no levity whatsoever, but are we sure about her age ? mid 40's mid 50's ? it might not be important to you but to the aspiring rapist I'm sure it matters. So, read this which basically say's God watches over the weak..
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... Texas.html
Now, I have never raped a woman, knowingly, having said that some 'birds might suggest otherwise, on the other hand I've had 'birds shouting 'rape me, rape me. Which to be honest, is a right 'turn off..Every person in this World has within them their own 'moral compass, you know within if it's 'right or wrong and yeh! will pay the price either in this life or the next... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Let's just put it this way. There are some men for whom you can totally understand why they aren't married, and then there are those for whom you feel nothing but pity and embarrassment for their wives. But the reasons are the same.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Bit tough that last statement GD, me and my only wife had 10 glorious years of married life we lived in various countries and had great fun but we, as most people must do just grew apart, we parted as friends and hopefully if, we ever meet again will still be friends... don't be to hard on others until, you take a walk in their shoes..'old hopi Indian dirge... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:A woman being raped is no cause for levity Brian.
A person being raped is no cause for levity. I object to the sexist nature of the thread. But I was not attempting levity.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Brian Yare wrote:
carrie wrote:A woman being raped is no cause for levity Brian.
A person being raped is no cause for levity. I object to the sexist nature of the thread. But I was not attempting levity.
Brian Yare, why do you constantly go out of your way to be difficult and argumentative?

You may not have been attempting levity but you most surely achieved insensitivity. As for your comment 'I object to the sexist nature of the thread'. What is there possible to object to. It is clear from the article that the assault was upon a woman - that sets the context for gender identity throughout.
-Aldous Huxley
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Who2-I wasn't referring to you. Apologies if it appeared that way.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Tourism Ministry: Rape of British tourist is ‘not the first time’.

Tourism Ministry spokesperson Rasha al-Azaizy addressed the events of the British woman who was raped in Sharm El-Sheikh by staff of her hotel, seeming to brush off the event as a minor incident.

“It’s not the first time,” she said in a phone call to talk show host Lamis al-Hadidy on CBC. “Harassment has become a threat to Egypt. We are not concerned about the safety of the British tourist as much as we are concerned about the security of our citizens.”

“It happens all over the world, too,” she added.

The incident was reported in several foreign newspapers, including The Daily Mail and The Independent.

“It is a problem of employment,” she went on to say. “Normally, the officer would be fired and would go work in another hotel.”

“Harassment needs punitive legislation,” she added.

“According to official figures, there have been three rapes in Sharm El-Sheikh over the past two years and numerous incidents in which tourists have been sexually harassed by hotel staff,” The Daily Mail wrote.

Source: http://www.egyptindependent.com//news/t ... first-time
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote:As for your comment 'I object to the sexist nature of the thread'. What is there possible to object to. It is clear from the article that the assault was upon a woman - that sets the context for gender identity throughout.
The suggestion being that only females are subject to rape (domestic violence, or whatever the next topic may be).
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Brian Yare wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:As for your comment 'I object to the sexist nature of the thread'. What is there possible to object to. It is clear from the article that the assault was upon a woman - that sets the context for gender identity throughout.
The suggestion being that only females are subject to rape (domestic violence, or whatever the next topic may be).
There has been no suggestion that only females are subject to rape. The subject was, and still is, about a female who has been raped.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote: There has been no suggestion that only females are subject to rape. The subject was, and still is, about a female who has been raped.
Please check the subject. It is about a tourist, not a female. Only when one reads into the body of the post is it revealed that a female was the alleged victim.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Brian Yare wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote: There has been no suggestion that only females are subject to rape. The subject was, and still is, about a female who has been raped.
Please check the subject. It is about a tourist, not a female. Only when one reads into the body of the post is it revealed that a female was the alleged victim.
Ah! Right! That would be the 5th word in the body of the post. Hmm...but then you must have noticed that as your first, and most stupid and insensitive comment, referred to 'she'!

Sorry, I'm all out of prizes for hair splitting. :roll:
Last edited by HEPZIBAH on Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Brian Yare wrote:
One presumes you have read the post Yare, else why reply to it :ni:

PS.. I am sure you are a intelligent person Brian Yare so I have no idea why recently you have started to present yourself on the forum like a complete ********.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dog bites man, man bites dog. Look it up if you don't understand the reference.

Brian-I hate to say this, but it has to be said, you really need to get a physician to evaluate your obsessive-compulsive tendencies. I don't think you are an asshole (or whatever Keefy's stars represent) but your behavior is certainly out of the ordinary. It's been quite obvious since your post where you complained about 47 or 26 or whatever number stairs to get to the roof of a restaurant. No normal person counts the number of stairs they have to climb and memorizes it, or thinks to call an airline up to ask them the exact temperature and air pressure in their luggage hold, and no normal person splits hairs like you are doing now.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Dog bites man, man bites dog. Look it up if you don't understand the reference.

Brian-I hate to say this, but it has to be said, you really need to get a physician to evaluate your obsessive-compulsive tendencies. I don't think you are an asshole (or whatever Keefy's stars represent) but your behavior is certainly out of the ordinary. It's been quite obvious since your post where you complained about 47 or 26 or whatever number stairs to get to the roof of a restaurant. No normal person counts the number of stairs they have to climb and memorizes it, or thinks to call an airline up to ask them the exact temperature and air pressure in their luggage hold, and no normal person splits hairs like you are doing now.
Crikey! :o

No hope for me then :sd I count everything I do, for example:- 2 Weetabix topped by 20 thin slices of banana and three spoons of soya yoghurt for my breakfast........................... :?
Smile! It confuses people