Statue of Amenhotep III's daughter unearthed in Luxor

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Statue of Amenhotep III's daughter unearthed in Luxor

Post by DJKeefy »

Iset, the daughter of Amenhotep III, was the aunt of Tutankhamun

Archaeologists have discovered a new statue depicting the daughter of King Amenhotep III, Tutankhamun’s grandfather and ruler of Egypt over 3,000 years ago.

During routine excavation works at Amenhotep III's funerary temple in the Kom El-Hittan area on Luxor's west bank, a European archaeological mission uncovered the statue of the king's daughter Iset.

The statue, which is 1.7m tall and 52cm wide, forms part of a huge, 14m high alabaster statute of Amenhotep III.

Minister of Antiquities Mohamed Ibrahim told Ahram Online that several parts of the colossal Amenhotep statue had been unearthed during previous excavation seasons.

"It is a very important discovery because it is the first time to unearth a statue that shows the king with his daughter, alone without her mother, brothers or sister," Ibrahim said.

There are several extant statues that show Iset with all the members of her family.

Ali El-Asfar, head of the Ancient Egyptian antiquities sector at the Ministry of Antiquities, explains that the original colossus shows the king sitting on the throne with his hands on his legs, while between his leg stands Iset wearing a rounded wig and long tight garb.

The statue’s face has suffered serious damage due to erosion, and the statue’s legs are missing.

El-Asfar said that the Amenhotep III statue is being restored, and on completion the Iset statue will be installed in its original position between the king's legs. The colossus will be re-erected at its original position in the temple.

Source: http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/96352.aspx

Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Statue of Amenhotep III's daughter unearthed in Luxor

Post by Frater0082 »

this could just be me but i feel as though the egyptologists are digging for something.

But anyways its nice to see another image of Iset poking out of the woodworks. Amenhotep III is my favorite pharoah and his reign is arguable the last time Egypt was at great peace and prosperity
Lisak
Palestine

Post by Lisak »

Frater0082 wrote:this could just be me but i feel as though the egyptologists are digging for something.
Funnily enough I think this is what Archaeologists do :ni:
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No No no Lisak who ever heard of Archeologists on a dig? :D
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Oh yeah LOL :lol: another dumb quote from me, i'm notorious of saying the dumbest things
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Frater0082 wrote:this could just be me but i feel as though the egyptologists are digging for something.

But anyways its nice to see another image of Iset poking out of the woodworks. Amenhotep III is my favorite pharoah and his reign is arguable the last time Egypt was at great peace and prosperity
O.K. Frater0082, its my birthday today and therefore I shall enter into the arena and ask, why for one tiny moment do you think that the reign of A-Three (at last people know that my code name is that of A-Four is not with reference to a paper size) is as you quote 'the last time Egypt was at great peace and prosperity'.

P.S. - Though I suggest you read up, before you write.
Frater0082
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Frater0082 »

Amenhotep III's time was a very interesting period i think the key to understanding as to what went on in Amarna is to look into the latter's reign.