This is the REAL Disaster for the Country

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

This is the REAL Disaster for the Country

Post by Glyphdoctor »

http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews ... 02?sp=true

The tourism industry has been pushing against this as they, and everyone else should be. This is a serious step backwards for everyone. Think about it. What is the one and only thing you do 24 hours a day? Breathe. They don't care if they kill us all.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: This is the REAL Disaster for the Country

Post by Brian Yare »

Nothing wrong with coal power stations, but they need to be away from the centres of population.
Chocolate Eclair
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Chocolate Eclair »

Coal Fired Power Stations, can be as clean has any other providing the correct filters are installed. In the UK especially burning filters stop a very high percentage of sulpher being spewed into the atmosphere.

There is by-products also that can be used, Methane a Natural Gas Supply, asphalt is made from Coal by-product, Soap, Make-up, and many other things you would not believe.

What you see coming from Cooling Towers is steam and not pollutants, and is harmless.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If one lives/exists in Cairo I would have thought that the damage has already been done, when living up in the Mokattam Hills, one could only see the Pyramids for 20 minutes in the early morning before the smog descended... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Glyphdoctor wrote:http://af.reuters.com/article/egyptNews ... 02?sp=true

The tourism industry has been pushing against this as they, and everyone else should be. This is a serious step backwards for everyone. Think about it. What is the one and only thing you do 24 hours a day? Breathe. They don't care if they kill us all.
Stoneage thinking... Genius... :urm:
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Who2 wrote:If one lives/exists in Cairo I would have thought that the damage has already been done, when living up in the Mokattam Hills, one could only see the Pyramids for 20 minutes in the early morning before the smog descended... :cool:
Which explains why I lasted 36 hours in Cairo before the asma kicked in - what really hurt was leaving 4 days early at the paid for hotel - :xx
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

When my son lived in Maadi he rang me one day to say that he couldn't see the petrol station 50 yards down the road because of the pollution. He eventually had to leave because of the pollution in Cairo.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

And a few years ago when tourists flocked the streets here and every cruiser berthed carried on running their stinking generators that continually pumped out fumes that must of equated to a coal generating station that when the climatic conditions were just right took your breath away. The air is much cleaner now they have nearly all dispersed further up river with no need to keep the engines running. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

One time I had the great luck to be at the Citadel when the air was so clear we could see the pyramids of Dahshur. We all just stood there for about 15-20 minutes staring in disbelief.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk Is it possible to stare for that long without blinking. :o
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Coal fired power stations produce pollutants as well as green house gases. They are not the same.

Surely it is dust and sand which is the primary 'pollutant' in Cairo and cars and trucks: but wouldn't they be a secondary source?

Is there proof of health problems from long term exposure to the sand/dust storms? Are there warnings? If the Japanese or Chinese lived in Cairo they would have masks on all the time.

Brian Yare - there is a lot wrong with coal fired power stations beginning with greenhouse gases which are much higher that for burning gas.

Glyphdoctor refers to visual pollution and this can be a threat to health as Beijing residents know well from experience this year. Children stayed home and lung and eye treatment went through the roof. Admittedly China has an enormous number of coal fired power stations and Egypt very few but its a slippery slope with coal prices dropping as China moves quickly away from coal reliance (for visual pollution and green house) and gas prices about to increase.

Egypt might get addicted to cheap coal and the companies mentioned in the press report are unlikely to be the last to get government approval to give them reliability of electricity. What I don't understand is why the two companies preferred coal over gas.

Chocolate Eclair I think the filters to reduce visual pollution might not be as good as you suggest but I don't know, but whether they are good or poor, no filter will capture invisible green house gases. Australia has been trying for years but the technology doesn't exist. Agree with you about the water vapor. Agree with you about the by-products of coal which is also true, but to a greater extent, of oil. The products you mention do not rely on burning coal, or if they do, not in the volumes of a power station.

Can anyone explain why coal is the answer? It's an import like gas so that there is a financial problem for Egypt (the private imports will have to be paid for in hard currency from Egypt - maybe not). Wouldn't ports have to be modified, 100's of trucks changed or new ones purchased or train rolling stock adapted. Given the volumes, my betting is trucks because they can deliver to the point of use without double handling but they will add to traffic and auto pollution.

Where is gas in all this? Why not increase gas imports? Maybe because this coal is being imported and used by the companies with no government subsidy compared with the present where government subsidizes the gas for their factories.The government wins because it doesn't have to pay a subsidy to them - or does it? Never heard of a firm giving up a government subsidy.

Hard political decisions, which would require the government to do something rather than sit back and give way to companies, would be to reduce demand to avoid the blackouts by removing or reducing the government subsidy on gas. The current situation of subsidized gas encourages waste and adds to the import bill. No politician or aspiring president will do this for fear of disturbance or loss of votes but at the end of the day why should the taxpayer pay for the energy use by a cement factory owned by a foreign company? Why should frugal working class Egyptians reliant on bottled gas pay for well off Cairenes with piped gas and their long hot showers and gas to run super dooper large gas stoves/ranges The well of and companies should pay more than they do.

The future gas situation has the Government with a few problems including expanding supply after years of clear signs that wells were failing. The companies that can help them with exploration and increased production are a bit wary of the Government because Egypt doesn't pay her bills to them and takes their share of supply.

I've been trying to understand gas and Egypt for a year - my latest attempt is at: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3425
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Dusak wrote:And a few years ago when tourists flocked the streets here and every cruiser berthed carried on running their stinking generators that continually pumped out fumes that must of equated to a coal generating station that when the climatic conditions were just right took your breath away. The air is much cleaner now they have nearly all dispersed further up river with no need to keep the engines running. :up
The ones they need to move are the rusting hulks outside Luxor Temple and also the ones ruining the view of The Old Winter Palace, obviously Sofitel have very little or 'No Clout whatsoever... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Yes there is Hafiz and its called Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. This is a lung disease directly related to the inhalation of volcanic dust and sand with its heavy content of silica. And it just happens to be the longest word in the English dictionary with 45 letters. :up