Nile Valley Mummies unwrapped by CT Scan

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Nile Valley Mummies unwrapped by CT Scan

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Interesting story, with a few pictures.

Some snippets of Interest

Eight of the museum's mummies have been virtually unwrapped - revealing secrets they took to the grave thousands of years ago.
Each long-dead individual was painstakingly transported to hospitals across the capital and placed - out of hours and late at night - inside the latest generation of CT scanners.
The unprecedented levels of resolution have shown some unexpected developments.

They include the revelation that one of the mummies, found in a woman's coffin and believed for hundreds of years to be female, was in fact a man.

All of the mummies chosen once lived in the Nile Valley, between 3,500 BC and 700 AD. The exhibition reveals more about how they lived and died, and shows the embalming process did not always go to plan - particularly for one man from Thebes.

Curator Daniel Antoine told Sky News: "Facial visualisation reveals a tool still stuck in his head.
"There had been an attempt to remove his brain, but during it one of the tools used to go through the nose appears to have snapped and surprisingly that tool is still lodged inside him."
Like all of the adult mummies, the same man was found to have advanced dental decay - with four separate abscesses in his mouth. Another two individuals still have calcified plaque on their bones, suggesting they may have suffered from cardiovascular disease.

Full story and video here..

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/mysteries-mum ... ml#EK7xthr

There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Nile Valley Mummies unwrapped by CT Scan

Post by Dusak »

I saw this on BBC world the other day. I wonder what mummy would say if she was asked ''would you mind too much if in later years we dug you up, unwrapped you, prodded and pocked around a bit and exposed your bits for the world to see?'' I have always thought that the remains of past folk should be left to rest in peace without interference. But that's just me.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I dont even believe we should be buried, that is just catering to one's ego. What a waste of land.. :x

Burn my body high up on a cliff top by the Ocean, as the Sun sets. :up

I would prefer it if the smoke from my funeral pyre heads into the setting Sun as well.. Thanks... :cool:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Put me on a burning felluca set it off floating down the Nile to the cries of ODIN.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

carrie wrote:Put me on a burning felluca set it off floating down the Nile to the cries of ODIN.
What a waste of a Felluca!
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Ye undersatnd not, the Significance of the boat on the water Brian.. Great way to go out Carrie .. :up

My 3 year Grandson old just placed a sticker on my Laptop by where my right hand rests, its an Orange sailboat with Rainbow sails,.. Bless :cool:

We are but sailing softly and slowly through the Sun, in a broken Stoneage dawn.. :wi:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote:Put me on a burning felluca set it off floating down the Nile to the cries of ODIN.
Carrie, I am still laughing at the mental picture that sprang, fully formed, into my mind's eye when I read your post! I shall start a savings account to pay for your Viking cremation immediately. My only stipulation is that you wear one of those horned helmets as you sail off to Valhalla! :wi :wi :wi
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Yildez wrote:
I shall start a savings account to pay for your Viking cremation immediately. My only stipulation is that you wear one of those horned helmets as you sail off to Valhalla! :wi :wi :wi
From the Danish National Museum:

http://natmus.dk/en/historisk-viden/dan ... en/hjelme/

The popular image of the Vikings is one of fearsome warriors wearing horned helmets. Many depictions of the Vikings display this particular attribute. However, there is only one preserved helmet from the Viking Age and this does not have horns. It was found in the Norwegian warrior’s burial at Gjermundbu, north of Oslo, together with the only complete suit of chain mail from the period.

Parts of helmets have been found in Denmark, including “brow ridges” to protect the warrior’s face in battle. The lack of helmet finds may also be partly due to the fact that no tradition existed of placing them in graves. In addition, helmets were not sacrificed like spears and swords, so we do not come across them in this context either. It is also possible that relatively few Vikings wore helmets and therefore only a small number are found today.

Helmets with horns?

Depictions of an Iron Age date exist featuring people with horned helmets/heads, such as upon the Golden Horns. Similar images are also known from the Viking period itself.

In the Oseberg burial from Norway, which dates to the early Viking period, a tapestry was found on which horned helmets are also depicted. Does this prove that all Vikings wore the famous helmets with horns? The answer is probably not. However, there is some evidence to suggest that certain warriors wore such headgear. The horned figures on the Golden Horns are berserkers. These were wild warriors, who threw themselves into battle in a trance-like fury. We are also familiar with them from the Icelandic sagas, in which they are amongst the most feared of all Vikings.

It is also possible that such headgear was worn for display or for cultic purposes. In a battle situation, horns on a helmet would get in the way. Such helmets would also have caused problems on board the warships, where space was already at a premium. In addition, none of the contemporary sources mention Vikings wearing horned headgear.

:witch: - But I am sure that it would look right on Carrie.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Thanks for reminding me Bennu, I know that the horned helmets of the movies etc are not authentic but I totally forgot whilst in the grip uncontrollable hilarity!! :mrgreen: And you're absolutely right - Carrie would look great in one! Next time I watch that classic movie "The Vikings" I'm going to record the music that accompanies the Viking funeral, so we can play it for Carrie's send off! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

If it takes 9 months to be born a human those 9 months are already on your body clock, so what makes the death of the physical body end then and there ? No burning for this boy thank you very much... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

I dont think the way the body is disposed of will have any effect on the afterlife, and in this day and age, there are many disposal methods, so really its just personal choice. Yer Luxor burial will no doubt be quick and cheap, and also adopting the "when in Rome" policy makes sense..

I like the sybolism and drama of my body disposal, but somehow I think I will be getting burned in a council crematorium by natural gas to the tune Weiss Heim,,, :cg

The misty mountains await...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm so pleased not to have any belief in deities or an afterlife.....so I don't have to fret about such matters :wi
Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Funny old game isnt it ?

I always say, Do unto others' . . . Best policy, just to be sure... ;)

Not quite like that... but it fits...

The L4U Resident Scarab does not help...
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Always ready to help, I'm a ''dead'' shot with my trusty bow and flaming arrow. The only problem I foresee is that by the time your times comes around and the cruisers are back in numbers is that the diesel that floats along with the current may make the event a little more larger in size than intended.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.