Don't Know Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Don't Know Egypt

Post by Who2 »

Anyone heard about this weekends world-wide travel conference being held for the next three days ?
All the major hotels seem to-be packed with tour reps and travel companies agents.
As normal little information is forthcoming....:cool:
Ps: That's why the kerb-stones are being repainted and the place spruced up as the attendees are expected to tour Luxor's restaurants and places of interest...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Don't Know Egypt

Post by carrie »

Hope it does some good.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I hear they are checking out the vast amount of complaint's their companies customers say about Luxor for themselves, hey anything for a free charabang and booze-up, that's the job these people have to put up with, travel the World get p****d get laid and get paid. Bet they are all young....:cool:
Love to see their reports...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Is it anything to do with the special 10-day event in the VotQ where they may or may not be opening Nefertari?

Lack of Information is a major problem in Luxor Egypt.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

These type of events always make me chuckle .... same same when I worked in gov't ... whenever dignitaries were due to arrive nothing was as usual as everybody was well forwarned to salute, curtsy, smile showing all teeth and bracket every word with yes sir, yes ma'am, three bags full. If you could click your heels you got extra brownie points. Everything was spruced up, spit polished and if the arriving higher uppers remotely thought this was normal then they'd be sadly mistaken but am sure they always were left wondering why all the recommendations they made based on their face to face observations never quite worked and all the underlying problems still persisted.

Only way all these tour reps would get a good sense of what Luxor or any other place in Egypt was really like would be to come back in two weeks and then try a stroll past caleche row or a jaunt through the tourist Souk.....
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Yes, the Nile Palace is crawling with them.

Not all young, im inclined to agree with the Doctor, its what we in the procurement world would call a "jolly".
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Just seen a post from a Luxor landlady on my FB about huge number of "tourists" arriving at Luxor airport....and great excitement at the possible return to "business as usual". Oh dear.....
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

I was told this morning that 950 German tour reps were coming to Luxor this weekend.
The curb painters were out in force yesterday by the West Bank tourist ferry landing. Stopped for a few seconds to watch and nearly got painted white!

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
chiddy

Post by chiddy »

putting the Christmas lights back up on the corniche too
There is no such thing as strangers just friends yet to meet.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

newcastle wrote:Just seen a post from a Luxor landlady on my FB about huge number of "tourists" arriving at Luxor airport....and great excitement at the possible return to "business as usual". Oh dear.....
Let's imagine there still aren't bombs going off every day in Egypt and all is perfectly calm and stable here. Granted the bombs in Egypt aren't making the headlines anymore aborad...but perhaps this should be a case of "Don't Know the World" because there are two things that I am sure are already impacting people's travel plans (or avoidance) for Egypt and those are IS and Ebola. You have to be a narcissist to believe that showing up for a photo op with the governor can overcome the other risks to the industry. Anyone who believes that tourism can save Luxor's economy at this point and bring it stability is not very intelligent. Anyone who cares about Luxor would be advising their Egyptian friends to get out of the business if they can find something else to support themselves.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
newcastle wrote:Just seen a post from a Luxor landlady on my FB about huge number of "tourists" arriving at Luxor airport....and great excitement at the possible return to "business as usual". Oh dear.....
Let's imagine there still aren't bombs going off every day in Egypt and all is perfectly calm and stable here. Granted the bombs in Egypt aren't making the headlines anymore aborad...but perhaps this should be a case of "Don't Know the World" because there are two things that I am sure are already impacting people's travel plans (or avoidance) for Egypt and those are IS and Ebola. You have to be a narcissist to believe that showing up for a photo op with the governor can overcome the other risks to the industry. Anyone who believes that tourism can save Luxor's economy at this point and bring it stability is not very intelligent. Anyone who cares about Luxor would be advising their Egyptian friends to get out of the business if they can find something else to support themselves.
Advising an Egyptian of anything other than what they want to hear is impossible.

They are the most pig headed people on the planet.

How else can you explain doing the same thing over and over and over even though its not working?
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Zooropa wrote:
Advising an Egyptian of anything other than what they want to hear is impossible.

How else can you explain doing the same thing over and over and over even though its not working?
Maybe if you could speak Arabic then it would be different.
Once bitten

Post by Once bitten »

DJKeefy wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Keefy; even speaking Arabic to them does not work, they still go on ploughing the same furrow over unproductive ground expecting it to produce the hidden pot of gold. :roll: 8) 8) 8)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

1,000 German tourist industry workers today on a four day fact finding tour, tomorrow a hot off the press release by the minister of tourism. ''Our prolonged and world wide advertising is finally paying off as Luxor welcomed 1,000 new tourists to the city in just one week.'' Resulting in over five thousand ex-tourist reliant workers upon reading this immediately giveing up their hard found labouring jobs to dry-clean their old hotel uniforms and reapply for their old jobs back. Three coaches traveling their way slowly through Luxor last night with the 'good old days' armed police protection front and rear, not allowing any other vehicle to pass did not really give out the 'look. Luxor is now safe to visit'' message. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Meanwhile, other cultural events which were advertised in advance were cancelled at the last minute - yet again!
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Once bitten wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Keefy; even speaking Arabic to them does not work, they still go on ploughing the same furrow over unproductive ground expecting it to produce the hidden pot of gold. :roll: 8) 8) 8)
Maybe you are speaking Dutch to them then, The only times I have experienced this (speaking in English) is when they did not understand me properly (even though they made out they did) :)
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Don't think speaking arabic has any bearing on this - I think, although I could be wrong, that Zoo and OB are not talking about talking one to one with an egyptian, in which case I would agree that speaking in arabic is a better way of getting them to do or not do what you want, but more in general terms. As for egyptians being the most pigheaded people on the planet - that I feel is too strong, maybe one of the most would be more accurate.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Actually, what is strong is making generalizations about a whole country based on a few weeks holiday in the country. Not to mention that I doubt anyone here has been to every country on the planet to make such remarks based on anything but personal prejudices.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Il settle "for one of the most"

What I was talking about as Brian suggested was not a lack of communication in terms of getting them to understand what you want or don't want in day to day conversation, that's not a problem at all.

What im talking about is them not listening or accepting the obvious in terms of the way things are or arnt.

In this, they are most certainly pig headed, how many times have they been told that their sales technique of extreme hassle is the worst thing they could do if they want a sale?

My reflections are not based "on a few weeks holiday" its based on experiencing the same thing over and over every time I come which has been for many years and matches countless other people's accounts.

"The most pig headed on the planet" was a comment of exasperation rather than a scientific claim which, im sure most people including you Glyph realise, so petty "Brian Yare" style nit picking does not alter the fact that in my opinion, its a reasonable point of view.

Even though you have been here some time and have a greater knowledge of all things Egyptian, it does not alter the fact that you are nothing more than a glorified tourist yourself, you can be an apologist for the way they interact with tourists if you want, but it wont change the fact that they are sowing the seeds of their own failure whilst they refuse to change.

People feeling as if they don't want to leave their hotel are common and numerous, being called a c**t as happened to me on one occasion and also being told by someone that they were going to arrange to have me killed on another occasion does not strike me as a good sales tactic or a welcoming invitation to return for "two weeks" either.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Dusak wrote:1,000 German tourist industry workers today on a four day fact finding tour, tomorrow a hot off the press release by the minister of tourism. ''Our prolonged and world wide advertising is finally paying off as Luxor welcomed 1,000 new tourists to the city in just one week.'' Resulting in over five thousand ex-tourist reliant workers upon reading this immediately giveing up their hard found labouring jobs to dry-clean their old hotel uniforms and reapply for their old jobs back. Three coaches traveling their way slowly through Luxor last night with the 'good old days' armed police protection front and rear, not allowing any other vehicle to pass did not really give out the 'look. Luxor is now safe to visit'' message. :cg
Im not sure how many "facts" they are going to gather whilst sitting in the bar drinking most of the day as the ones stopping in my hotel were.