Don't Know Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Don't Know Egypt

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:Maybe just some people know how to conduct themselves in public and others don't. Not anythign about how they dress.
Oh, so its the way I conduct myself in public that draws hassle.

I had no idea that walking down the street minding my own business was not acceptable in polite Luxor.

Silly, inconsiderate me.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

No one forced you to get on a plane to come to Egypt again. I know you had a bad experience last time and that is unfortunate, but as the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." You and Egypt just don't mix so why are you putting yourself into a situation that brings such misery?
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:No one forced you to get on a plane to come to Egypt again. I know you had a bad experience last time and that is unfortunate, but as the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." You and Egypt just don't mix so why are you putting yourself into a situation that brings such misery?
How very Egyptian, question my reasons for coming rather than addressing the reasons why many at the moment are not.

That's why Egypt Ltd has no business, just like any business that does not address complaints.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Who2 wrote:Quote: I would defend a woman who walked down the streets of Luxor in a bikini. How a woman chooses to dress is her business.
Why don't I believe you about this statement ?.......:cool:
Fair enough question. But let me explain. If she got more attention than she wanted dressed like that, I would definitely say it is probably a consequence of how she is dressed, but that still does not mean she doesn't have the right to dress as she wants with the attendant consequences AND it certainly doesn't mean she deserves to be harassed. It is the full responsibility of the men to control themselves, regardless of what the woman is wearing or not wearing.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Zooropa wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:No one forced you to get on a plane to come to Egypt again. I know you had a bad experience last time and that is unfortunate, but as the saying goes, "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me." You and Egypt just don't mix so why are you putting yourself into a situation that brings such misery?
How very Egyptian, question my reasons for coming rather than addressing the reasons why many at the moment are not.

That's why Egypt Ltd has no business, just like any business that does not address complaints.
You have stated your reasons for coming before. I don't need to question them. They had nothing to do with wanting to come again, which you said you didn't want to do, but rather with the fact that you had a ticket already booked.

I also don't need to beat the dead horse of why tourists don't come. Do I need to restate something I have said a dozen times and that has been said by everyone else here?

I'm not convinced the tourism industry is a goose laying a golden egg anyway so whether tourists want to come back or not, I'm not sure it is actually the best thing in the long run or not. And what is the benefit of an industry that engenders two-way intercultural hatred? That's not a good thing.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

You have stated your reasons for coming before. I don't need to question them. They had nothing to do with wanting to come again, which you said you didn't want to do, but rather with the fact that you had a ticket already booked.

I also don't need to beat the dead horse of why tourists don't come. Do I need to restate something I have said a dozen times and that has been said by everyone else here?

I'm not convinced the tourism industry is a goose laying a golden egg anyway so whether tourists want to come back or not, I'm not sure it is actually the best thing in the long run or not. And what is the benefit of an industry that engenders two-way intercultural hatred? That's not a good thing.
I have never seriously said that I didn't want to come again, I think you mistook a comment in jest for a serious statement somewhere.

If I didn't want to come then I would not have come regardless of tickets or not.

Nothing is perfect and to criticise something does not mean you don't like it.

I could ask the same question of you, you appear to be a confident, well educated woman who knows her own mind. Its not immediately obvious to someone on the outside as to why you would choose to live in a country and culture that clearly regards you as less than equal to men.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I consider myself a pretty tolerant person but if I spotted a western woman walking ih Luxor wearing only a bikini I would be the 1st to harass her and second to call the mental hospital...:cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I once walked down Khaled ibn el Waleed Street quite far behind a woman and her female friend she was wearing a swimsuit with a see through sarong over the top. Couldn't believe my eyes. She passed the Novotel and continued onto the corniche, wait for it thought I, not one Egyptian spoke to her not one asked if she wanted a taxi fellucca motor boat or anything. I was completely dumbfounded. I was going to speak to her and say that really she should dress more appropriately and would have done so if she had been approached but nothing, nothing happened.
I think even the Egyptians were shocked into silence. The raised eyebrows when I passed them though was something else as if to say is she mad?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote:I once walked down Khaled ibn el Waleed Street quite far behind a woman and her female friend she was wearing a swimsuit with a see through sarong over the top. Couldn't believe my eyes. She passed the Novotel and continued onto the corniche, wait for it thought I, not one Egyptian spoke to her not one asked if she wanted a taxi fellucca motor boat or anything. I was completely dumbfounded. I was going to speak to her and say that really she should dress more appropriately and would have done so if she had been approached but nothing, nothing happened.
I think even the Egyptians were shocked into silence. The raised eyebrows when I passed them though was something else as if to say is she mad?
Maybe she was on her way to the beach to swim with the dolphins. ;)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:I have just got in after being out all day. Been from one end of the Egyptian souk to the other and back, been along the tourist souk. Went for a drink in Sindbad, then walked up to Sofra for lunch. Along then to Saladin Square, up TV Street, along Hospital Street, to Wenkies for ice cream, back down to the end of Medina where we caught the local bus to the Emilio to go to the ferry. Walked towards the ferry where my friend and I saw a policeman sitting on a large chair, asked if we could sit down for a minute cause we were tired. Up he got, sat there for half an hour then caught the ferry, talked to some very nice Egyptian ladies on the ferry and then came home. All day from 9.30am till 7.30pm not one wrong word. Passed caleche drivers, numerous taxi drivers some asked if we wanted one , shukran and on their way they went. Had a great day no hassle. I don't expect hassle, I don't expect anyone to be rude to me I treat everyone I meet with respect, maybe people don't believe me when I say I don't get hassle but that's not my fault.
We did the nearly said same route yesterday carrie, may have passed each other without knowing. We too suffered no hassle. Unique day.
Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote: Only a thought, but if GD were to dress in say, hot pants and a tie-dye T-shirt instead of the black is the new red, then the dreaded tourist tormentors would, Insha'Allah, show a little more respect towards her, or amusement. :mrgreen:
You have a thick skull. I don't know why you can't get grasp the fact that the short meek woman in some video you saw dressed all in flowing black wasn't me. I got your references to "full battle gear," you know, I just wanted you to admit your prejudices against conservatively dressed women clearly rather than beat around the bush as you did.

But you know what? If you actually knew how I dressed I think you would put your foot in your mouth and keep it there, or better yet, step on your fingers with your foot so they don't touch the keyboard.

However, that does not change the fact that you would mock a woman for how she is dressed, even if you are wrong about me. On the other hand, I would defend a woman who walked down the streets of Luxor in a bikini. How a woman chooses to dress is her business.

Carrie doesn't get hassled. Maybe just some people know how to conduct themselves in public and others don't. Not anythign about how they dress.
I will treat your remarks concerning my presumed thick skull and my so called prejudices towards the choice of dress of women as I did with your vilifying of women comment, contempt. As usual, wrong on all counts, but with your limited store of comebacks, only to be excepted from you. A bikini wearing tourist on the streets of Luxor? And you would deliver to her/him [In case of the odd cross dresser] the defense that such inappropriate outfit on the streets of a Muslim country was their right to wear? What a load of dogs b******'s. I remember you spitting fire on here a few years back calling such people that did wear this type of dress should go some place else for their holidays. All you seem to be is some kind of insulting harpy on a broomstick casting down insulting remarks onto the shoulders of the innocent. Dusak needs a thick scull at times reading your ill-conceived reply's.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

And I seem to recall some forum members at the time not being able to understand my distinction between someone's actions/dress/etc being the reason they were harassed, and my belief that they don't deserve to be harassed for such actions/dress/etc.

There are some ways of dressing in Luxor that would not be a good choice and actually might be quite foolish. A bikini without sun lotion would be a stupid choice even by a hotel pool, for example. But I still defend a woman's right to make that choice. And to suffer the consequences.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Bearded Brian wrote:I don' look egyptian nor like an ex-pat living here but I too get asked for directions from egyptians...
In Arabic or English?
Both
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

carrie wrote:I once walked down Khaled ibn el Waleed Street quite far behind a woman and her female friend she was wearing a swimsuit with a see through sarong over the top. Couldn't believe my eyes. She passed the Novotel and continued onto the corniche, wait for it thought I, not one Egyptian spoke to her not one asked if she wanted a taxi fellucca motor boat or anything. I was completely dumbfounded. I was going to speak to her and say that really she should dress more appropriately and would have done so if she had been approached but nothing, nothing happened.
There's a middle aged woman in our neighborhood, which has very very few western residents, looks sort of German to me but definitely European. She wanders around the neighborhood in blouses too tight without a bra on and you can see EVERYTHING but that isn't really what is so shocking. She is accompanied by a male dalmatian dog not wearing a leash who lifts its leg to pee on shop walls as they walk down the street. He waits outside Khair Zaman for her when she is inside shopping. She allows him off leash even though they are passing by butcher shops where there is meat hanging that he could decide to sink his teeth into. The looks of horror and disgust and even utter fear from people in the neighborhood is rather amusing. I don't know whether she is unaware of the reaction people have to her and the dog or she just doesn't care. I think there are some things that are so shocking people just are silenced by it.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Who2 wrote:I consider myself a pretty tolerant person but if I spotted a western woman walking ih Luxor wearing only a bikini I would be the 1st to harass her and second to call the mental hospital...:cool:
And if you spotted her not wearing it? ...
:)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
There's a middle aged woman in our neighborhood, which has very very few western residents, LOOKS SORT OF GERMAN TOO ME but definitely European. She wanders around the neighborhood in blouses too tight without a bra on and you can see EVERYTHING but that isn't really what is so shocking. She is accompanied by a male dalmatian dog not wearing a leash who lifts its leg to pee on shop walls as they walk down the street. He waits outside Khair Zaman for her when she is inside shopping. She allows him off leash even though they are passing by butcher shops where there is meat hanging that he could decide to sink his teeth into. The looks of horror and disgust and even utter fear from people in the neighborhood is rather amusing. I don't know whether she is unaware of the reaction people have to her and the dog or she just doesn't care. I think there are some things that are so shocking people just are silenced by it.
Then its probably the knee high Jack boots, goose step, swastika tattoo on her forehead and helmet that they are looking at, not her compressed boobs. :up Talk about racial profiling.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Ummm....no. Your imagination is running really wild again. It's a bit sad that all you think of when you read "German" is Nazis.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Ummm....no. Your imagination is running really wild again. It's a bit sad that all you think of when you read "German" is Nazis.
OK then, enlighten us. What defined her as looking German against an American, British, Canadian or any other female from a Caucasian race? I was being deliberately sarcastic so your reply should be interesting Frau.