Temple on the Pyramid of Thebes

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Temple on the Pyramid of Thebes

Post by Brian Yare »

I discovered a book by this title on a recent library visit. It is by Gyözö Vörös and dated 1998 and is a preliminary report of the Hungarian excavations on Thoth Hill (behind New Gurna village) over the previous 4 seasons.

If anyone sees a copy of this book for sale I would love to obtain a copy, but www searches are showing only 4 copies in UK libraries and none for sale. Three of these are in traditional "copyright" libraries and presumably donated, but I can't see why one copy made it to Birmingham University library.

Three major discoveries were:
1) the foundations of an earlier temple dated to about 3000 B.C. by its astronomical alignment,
2) a magnificent Coptic apse with a picture of Christ Pantocrator in pristine condition, and
3) a Royal sarcophagus of the XIth Dynasty Pharaoh, Montuhotep Sankhkhara.

I would also be interested in the original Hungarian version, templom théba koronáján, which may be available online
Unfortunately I don't read enough Hungarian to navigate through the online bookstores' websites, but I will try. The photography in this book is superb,

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Temple on the Pyramid of Thebes

Post by carrie »

Going to the Thebian Maping Library on Sunday Brian will ask if they have a copy.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Carrie

Thanks for looking, but I am after a copy to purchase. I might then donate it to a library in Luxor.

I just located a fifth copy in the UK, at the EES. Another one that I cannot buy!

Brian
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Sorry Brian, I too have been checking around for you, but can not come up with anything. We do have a member on this site, Clandestine, I think by name who would, I am sure be able to help, but not seen on here for a while.

Have looked through my grandfather's notes and a few of my own, but all I can tell you is that Throth Hill was used in the Greek-Roman period as a watch, early warning tower, being that it is the highest point in the area, yes even higher than the 'pyramid'.

As you have probably realised, my books are the very old, but vital pathfinders of now and the future, though not of Thoth Hill.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:As you have probably realised, my books are the very old, but vital pathfinders of now and the future, though not of Thoth Hill.
The old ones are the good ones in my opinion. In many cases they describe detail that has since been lost.

Petrie was one of the first to visit Thoth Hill, in 1909, but he only spent a day or two there. It is in his volume "Queneh".
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote:
A-Four wrote:As you have probably realised, my books are the very old, but vital pathfinders of now and the future, though not of Thoth Hill.
The old ones are the good ones in my opinion. In many cases they describe detail that has since been lost.

Petrie was one of the first to visit Thoth Hill, in 1909, but he only spent a day or two there. It is in his volume "Queneh".
You Brian are bang on, Petrie was a very rare breed, his detailed notes give exact readings that are of the same value today as they were then. As I am sure you might be aware a book by this great man was put up for auction at a recent event for the ACE charity, where I am pleased to say it raised £1,400, and yes, I do mean sterling. Although this raised no interest on this site, it certainly was the talk of Luxor within the ex-pat community.

I am pleased to announce that another book will be auctioned at a future ACE charity event at the end of the digging season, a quite old one, which was the first by this person to be translated into English, and by a person that even Petrie regarded as god in the Egyptology world,........you may have to dig deep into your pocket Brian, if you wish to own it,........and it's notes.

Do remember Brian, certain items available on the internet, do not includes author's private notes.

At this present time ACE are desperate for funds, and therefore I trust that this second and final book will raise good funds for this great cause.