Delays at Cairo Airport

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Delays at Cairo Airport

Post by BENNU »

:o For those of us who do not enjoy the luxury of direct flights to and from Luxor:

http://www.thecairopost.com/news/168308 ... ro-airport

CAIRO: Departure halls and lounges at Cairo Airport have been crammed with passengers since Tuesday morning because of the introduction of a new system of processing and stamping passports, Youm7 reported.

Around 15 flights have been postponed for 30 to 45 minutes, according to Youm7.

It is “normal” to witness delay when applying the news system and it will take a day or two for all staff to “get used to the new system,” security source at the airport told Youm7.

The new system is meant to finalize departure and arrival procedures more quickly than the old one, the source said.

Meanwhile, Cairo Airport continued to close its airspace due to military exercises that may affect air traffic in Cairo for the fourth day in a row from 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m.

Journalist Amr Abdel Hamid told Sada el-Balad channel Tuesday morning in a phone call that he had been waiting in a line to stamp his passport for two hours.

“An unprecedented state of chaos, I’ve never seen such a situation before,” Abdel Hamid said.

“Thousands of passengers waiting for passports, lines, fights; you feel there’s chaos enough for half the planet,” he added.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Delays at Cairo Airport

Post by A-Four »

BENNU wrote:
Meanwhile, Cairo Airport continued to close its airspace due to military exercises that may affect air traffic in Cairo for the fourth day in a row from 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m./i]
Seems a little strange because Egypt has a top grade military airport some 27 miles to the East of Cairo, that up until quite recently was rather secret.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

They also have one at the end of the runway at Cairo.
Doesn't matter about airfields if they are conducting exercises in Cairo Airspace its always going to be in Cairo Airspace.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

A-Four wrote:
BENNU wrote:
Meanwhile, Cairo Airport continued to close its airspace due to military exercises that may affect air traffic in Cairo for the fourth day in a row from 11 a.m. to 12.30 p.m./i]
Seems a little strange because Egypt has a top grade military airport some 27 miles to the East of Cairo, that up until quite recently was rather secret.
Up until your post that is. :urm: IS will just love you to bits, and not necessarily in the figurative term. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

A-Four wrote:
BENNU wrote:
and quite bizarrely you can fly to it from Cairo airport! Omar was convinced he could drive to it faster when you include the waiting around and the check in 1 hour before etc.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

BENNU wrote:
CAIRO: it will take a day or two for all staff to “get used to the new system,”

The new system is meant to finalize departure and arrival procedures more quickly than the old one,

Journalist Amr Abdel Hamid... had been waiting in a line to stamp his passport for two hours.

“An unprecedented state of chaos, I’ve never seen such a situation before,” Abdel Hamid said.
:bp:

A few days ago, I arrived in Cairo without a visa. I went to one of the usual banks but there was panic among arriving guests. The man in the booth shrug his shoulders: ”What I can do, there are no visas left!” I found a bank booth around the corner and purchased a sticker. Having read about this new routine at the passport control causing delay last week, I wondered if it would affect me.

:sd

At the shortcut to Domestic Departures, there are normally two people working at the counter, one receiving and stamping your passport with a smile, the other one scanning, registering and handing over your passport with a smile. This Monday, there was one young woman chatting on her smartphone, completely ignoring me, while the men were praying. I tried to give her my passport, but she looked away, only interested in her phone conversation. After a while, she sighed deeply and took the passport with the immigration card in it, still talking away on the phone. I could not believe that this cold, careless, unprofessional attitude was the new style in Cairo, but what I can do? She gave me back my passport without looking at me at all, if not as common decency, then to check if I was the true holder. She would have been impolite enough to work at Luxor Passport Office, but at least she did not throw my passport on the floor like the lady there.

:td

After security, a man asked to see my passport, but he was so busy going through someone's luggage that he did not even open it. At Luxor, they examined my passport thoroughly before letting me leave and I gave the driver behind the glassdoor a sign that I would go to the duty free shop as always. It took me a long time to find something worth buying, they did not even have my usual emergency solutions, then I waited for a very long time while three men were registering and selling alcohol to three customers. Recognising me as a regular and from this area where I stay, they kept saying: “Sorry, Madame, but this is Egypt.” The driver was impatient behind the glass, not understanding what took me so long, it was already past midnight and I had a beautiful room with refreshments waiting at Old Winter Palace now that it was too late to get my dusty, deserted flat cleaned for the night. When finally it was my turn, the friendly but very slowly working man took my passport, ready to enter my details with one finger. He showed my visa to the others who started laughing, wondering how on earth I had managed to enter the country... without a stamp on my visa.

:cc

“Sorry Madame, but this is Egypt, please give me ten minutes”, one of the nice men said and I entertained the others with my story from Cairo. “Sorry Madame, but you are in Egypt.” Two men came back, saying “Sorry Madame, but this is Egypt.”, asking for my boarding card, because not only had that foolish woman not stamped my visa, she had also not registered me, only taken my immigration card. I was toying with the idea of recycling or overstaying, but they explained that had I not stopped at the duty free, I would have big problems in Egypt :wi . They went to tell the driver what was going on, and were of course very nice to me, after all, this is Egypt. The men came back and smiled as they pointed at an old page in my passport where she had placed a stamp on top of another. “Ha ha, Madame, welcome to Egypt!”

:urm:

I could already hear the lady at Luxor Passport Office scream at me: “WHY your visa has no stamp?!” and wondered if I should just leave after one month and buy another one. I left the airport with a bag of alcohol after 1:30 and tipped the driver generously. I had sat there for an hour, surrounded by bottles and all I was offered... was marriage.

:bg: