The Giza Pyramids

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

The Giza Pyramids

Post by newcastle »

An accurate description, in my experience, of what visitors face at this world famous site and some ideas of how things might be improved.

"Simply put, visiting the Great Pyramids of Giza in ‪Egypt‬ is often a disappointing experience. Instead of spending millions on tourism campaigns, the government should first ‪‎Save The Pyramids‬ and other historic sites"

http://egyptianstreets.com/2016/01/03/9 ... eat-again/

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: The Giza Pyramids

Post by Brian Yare »

The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

Oh, and if there are no museums in the Giza complex, what is that boat doing?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I very much agree with what this chap here has stated, but he is perhaps unaware that even when you are travelling there by taxi from Cairo, at a number of sets of traffic lights towards the Pyramids at Giza, touts hang around holding their hand in the air as you pass. Often the driver will say 'Do you mind if I pick up my cousin'. Of course you yes, to find he is no such person, instead he will engage in conversation with you, and purport to be a guide,........and you know the rest.

When this happens to me, I simply tell the driver,...'no, I don't need a guide', and that also tells him I know the price for the journey, and no, I certainly do not need him for my return to Cairo.

Another rule for such places in Cairo, when you are being seriously hassled, you simply stop walking, look them straight in the eyes (Egyptians hate that from any foreigner), look totally determined, and say very slowly and very clearly, 'I do not need you'. It always work for me in Cairo and Luxor. However in luxor these days most of the touts are very, very stupid.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Brian Yare wrote: Oh, and if there are no museums in the Giza complex, what is that boat doing?
With regards this museum, which more often than not in the past was closed, this is perhaps one of, if not the greatest display of ancient engineering anywhere in the world.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

At the risk of starting a war of terminology with A- Four, can a building housing, basically, one item be called a "museum"?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:The same is true in Luxor, although maybe on a slightly smaller scale. Karnak especially needs more facilities, but it is important that they don't spoil the ancient environment.

At the risk of starting a war of terminology with A- Four, can a building housing, basically, one item be called a "museum"?
You bet it's war Newcastle, and believe me that one man's determination to bring this solar boat back from the grave, and his life time achievement deserves a museum to his own work, even the average pleb can discover the astounding engineering qualities that went into creating a boat that could fly through the night sky, and still being able to keep the deceased pharaoh's body stable, by the shear use of ropes,........total engineering, that is admired the world over today.

I am beginning to think that you, Newcastle, has enrolled into the Fratter University of Open Thought,........now stop it. :wi .
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

I'd of called it a museum and quite an interesting one too.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I might have known I'd be inviting argument when questioning whether a building housing ONE object was really a museum in the generally accepted sense. Dictionary definitions refer to objectS...in the plural.

It was a rather light -hearted point I was making, in response to our chief pedant' s assertion that the article referred to was incorrect in suggesting that the pyramids complex needed a museum - as it had one.

I suspect the author of the article is well aware of the glorified shed housing the exhumed & reconstructed solar boat but meant a building housing a wide range of archaeological exhibits, which your average pleb would expect to find in a place described as a museum.

I hope that clarifies my post for you all.

I've always referred to the building in question as the boat museum just as I (and most people) refer to the burial container of Seti I in the Sir John Soane's Museum as a " sarcophagus" and as many people & books refer to the cult temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahri as a "mortuary temple".

Eh?....A-Four ;)
Spoiler
Can you tell I'm bored this morning?[
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Luxor had quite a few facilities and shops, but due to the lack of income into the City from Tourism, the tremendous cost of licenses for those who are law abiding, they have mainly all closed. Closed facilities are not appealing at all.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm coming to have a look at the nobles' tombs, the new ones opened to great fanfare a few weeks ago.

They bloody well better be open :xx

As to other infrequently visited sites, I'm resigned to finding them inaccessible for one reason or another.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Well, I would not hold on to too much hope Newcastle, I remember when Mubarak opened
Shu and Shu Roy, a week later they closed them for God knows how long.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Roy and Sheroy are open now, with another one added to the ticket. Huy and two others have been open for a month now, although the official opening was way back in February.

Which other, infrequently visited, sites are of interest to you, Newcastle? All those that are advertised as open have been open when I have visited, and several closed sites have been visitable - Friday afternoon is often best!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:Roy and Sheroy are open now, with another one added to the ticket. Huy and two others have been open for a month now, although the official opening was way back in February.

Which other, infrequently visited, sites are of interest to you, Newcastle? All those that are advertised as open have been open when I have visited, and several closed sites have been visitable - Friday afternoon is often best!
Think i might visit Tod & also Mut at Karnak.

Then I've long wanted to visit tomb of Ay but, being in my own car, I'm doubtful if id get past the gate at VoK and it's too far to walk.

Any suggestions. And any other places worth a look.

I might even try Thutmose III where I haven't been for years but not sure if I could make it up the stairs.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: Then I've long wanted to visit tomb of Ay but, being in my own car, I'm doubtful if id get past the gate at VoK and it's too far to walk.

Any suggestions.
You are correct, it is very doubtful that they will let your car past the entrance to official car park.

Your best bet is to have a word with a waiting taxi driver, in the King's Valley who will for a small fee take you there, pick up the guardian across from Davis House then up to the tomb. After your visit I suggest you let your driver and guardian go, and simply walk back to the King's Valley ticket office, it's all down hill, and a wonderful experience for any one who has never done this before.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: I might even try Thutmose III where I haven't been for years but not sure if I could make it up the stairs.
If as I suspect you mean his temple at Deir el Bahari, between Mentuhotep and Hatshepsut, the best way to approach this would be via a pathway towards the west at The Tomb of Nackht. Taking this route you should easily gain access undetected to this closed site. If you attempt to go their via Hatshepsut's Temple, security staff will prevent you.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

I thumbed a lift off a bloke on a motorbike :lol:
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

A-Four wrote:
newcastle wrote: Then I've long wanted to visit tomb of Ay but, being in my own car, I'm doubtful if id get past the gate at VoK and it's too far to walk.

Any suggestions.
You are correct, it is very doubtful that they will let your car past the entrance to official car park.

Your best bet is to have a word with a waiting taxi driver, in the King's Valley who will for a small fee take you there, pick up the guardian across from Davis House then up to the tomb. After your visit I suggest you let your driver and guardian go, and simply walk back to the King's Valley ticket office, it's all down hill, and a wonderful experience for any one who has never done this before.
I have been to Ay a couple of years ago with my driver, and last year my study group visited Ay and Tut III with a minibus. No problem, but I don't know if backsheesh changed hands.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Thanks all.

Sounds like a plan (re Ay). Might give that a go tomorrow .
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Some of us had a nice walk up there in cool weather, having it all to ourselves, until a group arrived in a minibus, entering the tomb just as we were ready to get inside. It was too crowded, and we waited outside for our turn. So it is not impossible to get there by car.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Tourist minibuses, cars with tourist plates, taxis. .......no problem. For some reason a tourist in his own car can't get into the VoK car park and has to abandon his vehicle outside. It's the 'rules'.