The Giza Pyramids

Luxor is ancient Thebes and has a fascinating past. Share your knowledge or ask your questions here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Giza Pyramids

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote:Tourist minibuses, cars with tourist plates, taxis. .......no problem. For some reason a tourist in his own car can't get into the VoK car park and has to abandon his vehicle outside. It's the 'rules'.
Well without wanting to sound too official here Newcastle, the taxis, tourist mini buses, and tourist coaches have to pay a special premium or 'insurance', and certain condions have to be met for certain vehicles to carry tourist.

Years ago, through their ill-gotten gains, a number of men in Luxor purchased cars and mini buses for the sole purpose of attracting tourists, without being correctly registered. Some years ago now, private vehicles were banned from official tourist car parks. I remember warning a certain person at the time on this forum, after repeated warnings, that persons vehicle was confiscated.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: Think i might visit Tod & also Mut at Karnak.
Any suggestions. And any other places worth a look.
Tod and a site in Armont are quite interesting, a number of half hidden statues are really stunning, but to see these you will need to acquire the services of the site guardian, who will require a tip. Remember few tourists visit these sites.

You may find it difficult to find a taxi to take you to Armont, people there drive like idiots, especially the ten year old kids who get around in their fathers 'vehicles'.

P.S. - the word 'vehicles' here, is use very loosely.
Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 »

The baladi dogs at Tod are very friendly and well looked after by the guardians. Don't worry if a pile of them come dashing over... they mean no harm.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Remember that tickets for Tod are sold at Luxor Temple. It is a long way back if you have forgotten!

Tickets for Mut are sold at Karnak Temple.

Armant is not officially open, but one can see quite a lot over the surrounding wall. It may be possible to get on site if a friendly guardian is found - mid afternoon is best for this. I was not allowed to take photographs there in 2011.

There is another small site at Armant, well hidden in the back-streets. It is called Bab el-Maganin. I have a picture of it on my blog for 28 April 2011. It dates to Ptolemy XII.

As for the driving at Armant it is no worse than in any other off-the-beaten track town in Upper Egypt. P.M. me if you need a driver for Armant or Tod. Most drivers don't know these out-of-the way places.

You might also consider the tomb of Ankhtifi at Mo'allah. Tickets again from Luxor Temple.
Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Is that the same driver you were buying alcohol for before you let him drive you around?
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Just watched Joann (Pavarotti of Egyptology) in The Kings Chamber no-matter what she did, i.e. removing the dehumidifiers she still didn't capture that which is the Kings Chamber, she never experienced lying in the sarcophagus or even hitting it to start the resonance.
Very sad for the 'girl in black, but I suppose these days it is impossible to stay the night or have as much interesting fun in the Great Pyramid as Nick and I used to have. shame really.. :cool:
Ps: Oh! well the series can only improve, one hopes...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

None of which explains the logic of denying an individual access in his own car.

It seems that it's ok if you're a typical tourist, paying for transport via taxi or tourism vehicle....but not if you're an interested 'local' in your own vehicle.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Managed to find the temple at Tod.....after some wandering around. A few signs with an arrow wouldn't go amiss.Totally deserted and very atmospheric.

Sadly, had to forgo Ankhtifi as the numpty in the Luxor temple ticket office couldn't find the ticket book and the police outside were screaming blue murder as my car, alone bar one in a csr park the size of 2 football pitches, was "in the wrong place ".

Finding the town quiet, bar Egyptian visitors, and although I don't find the attentions of the ragamuffins any more irritating than mosquitoes, I imagine they'd freak out your average western tourist. Not that there are any.

Decided to spend a small fortune in Aboudi bookshop and while away the rest of the day overlooking the Nile with a good read.
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

Back to Giza Pyramids. I was totally unimpressed, a skinny horse to ride after I had sent 2 back to the stable. Filthy grit underfoot to ride to the pyramids. Rubbish everywhere including dirty toilet paper waving in the breeze, must have been tourists getting taken short. Altogether a delightful experience never to be repeated.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Yep....sounds par for the course.

The pyramids, tombs etc ARE impressive but the experience is usually ruined by the detritus, dirty toilets and wall-to-wall agro.