February tourism dowm 46% year on year.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

February tourism dowm 46% year on year.

Post by Hafiz »

Tourism is down 46% for February 2016 compared with 2015 but this dreadful picture hides one ‘bright’ spot.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ourth.aspx

“The Gulf business is up about 45 percent from last year, ok, so while the total business is down 40 percent, the Gulf is up 45 percent” says some optimistic bureaucrat

http://www.africanews.com/2016/04/11/eg ... m-by-2017/

But the comparison with other countries in the region is bracing. The start line is that Egypt earned $6.1 billion in tourism revenue in 2015, down 15 percent from the year before, as the total number of tourists dropped in 2015 by 6 percent to 9.3 million and the total number of nights spent in the country declined by 14 percent. That is a spend of about $600 per tourist - which doesn't quite make sense but they are Egyptian stats.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... ourth.aspx

On the other hand in 2014 the major tourist destination in the middle East was Saudi Arabia (the Haj) with 15 million visitors producing $8 billion followed by the UAE, 10 million at $11 billion 2013 and then Egypt. Tiny Tunisia, offering beach holidays not much different to Egypt, had 6 million tourists in 2013 although obviously a lot less now. Morocco in Nth Africa had slightly more tourists (10 million and receipts of $7 billion) whilst adjacent and none too safe Turkey at 39 million visitors ($29 billion) was 400% the number of Egyptian tourists and 500% of Egyptian receipts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/ST.INT.XPND.CD

If there is an overall picture it is that Egypt has a lot of catching up to do particularly as the Saudi's ramp up their tourism offering and that even optimistic estimates still place Egypt as unexceptional in terms of tourist numbers and revenues when compared with other 'similar' locations.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Re: February tourism dowm 46% year on year.

Post by Hafiz »

An update: Revenue for the first quarter of 2016 is down 66% on the same period last year.

When Egypt starts to rebuild tourism it will be from a very low base.

http://www.reuters.com/article/egypt-to ... SL3N17S3DT
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

You know what they say....

There are lies, damned lies........and data issued by Egyptian government sources.

I don't know why they bother.

If it's good news, nobody believes it at all.

If it's bad news, everybody thinks it's understated.

Years of playing fast and loose with the credulity of the public caught up with them long ago.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Bad News but understandable.. It does not take a professor to see what the problem is. For one instance look at the old posts on this forum, not the nasty ones or the ones that are vindictive, the one that are talking about Egypt in general. Look at the media, full of promises and offers. Need I go on? NO!
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Bad News but understandable.. It does not take a professor to see what the problem is. For one instance look at the old posts on this forum, not the nasty ones or the ones that are vindictive, the one that are talking about Egypt in general. Look at the media, full of promises and offers. Need I go on? NO!
Never mind MT. It was once written that,...........there are three things that can not be long hidden, the sun, the moon, and the truth.

Any how, on a bright note, when is the next festival in Luxor. :py ...................... :wi .
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Could not care 2 s--t''s when the next one is, I no longer get involved, much better things to do. After reading my PM you will understand. :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:Could not care 2 s--t''s when the next one is, :
I agree with you MT, but long after the last life-boat had left, and the band played on, there were those that thought the ship was unsinkable.

This week we learn that in mighty Saudi Arabia, 50,000 foreign workers, who are owed up to six months wages while working on government infrastructure projects, have been sacked and told to leave the country IMMEDIATELY. How the magical oil to $ price can quickly collapse, and will never be so powerful again.

As I have written before, the Middle East will soon become the Far East, with regards the rest of the real world, the the West will continue to sell them ammunition, until they blow each other up.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As I have written before, the Middle East will soon become the Far East,
Unbelievable! you meant to say that you have previously brought this to our attention? :a66:
Do please provide us with a link to your post :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As I have written before, the Middle East will soon become the Far East......

And why not?

If Israel can be uprooted and moved to USA, anything is possible :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:
Unbelievable! you meant to say that you have previously brought this to our attention? :a66:

See what I mean, MT. :wi .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

See what I mean, MT. :wi .
I doubt it, the rest of us have never had much luck :a21:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:
May I refer you to my most recent notes on this which come under a heading of The New Suez Canal dated July 27th 2015 @ 11-35p.m.

Quote. 'We should also understand that the world is round, and that the new super powers for trade is in the Pacific. As I have written before, the world is changing very fast, what we call Western Europe today will become the new Middle East, and the now Middle East may quickly return to the Dark Ages'.

I also added in the same post...

Quote. 'There is also a realisation that the so called North West Passage may soon become possible for almost six months of the year, and if so will certainly reduce profits not only for the Suez, but also the Panama'.

For your information, I did update this post on April 21st 2016 @ 11-37a.m. to give evidence of the Chinese government intentions of future avoidance in using the Suez Canal.

Now that I have cleared that up, I trust you can be less evil on this forum, otherwise **** *** and get back to Egypt4U, where you can all get on with your Spring cleaning. :wi

P.S.- I did write p*** off, just in case others thought otherwise.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I completely understand A4, Boom! Boom! I think a more lateral way of thinking and doing is required...
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'm all for lateral thinking, vertical thinking....thinking outside the box.

What I have a problem with is thinking which is so convoluted and poorly communicated that it begins to resemble a ball of knitting wool that my cat has attacked.

K.I.S.S.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A4, I did make a short reply last night to your suggestion that I should "**** ***" but that seems to have gone missing, however rest assured I will give you a fuller reply later today. 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@ A-Four

I do understand why you find some responses (mine included ) to your posts irritating. But there might be less of them if you weren't so cryptic.

I gather you are one of the 'old hands ' as Luxor life goes and I'm sure have many tales to tell about the old days. I'd be interested to learn about this.....and the need for a certain degree of privacy is recognised.

As regards current affairs, your views and opinions are as valuable as anyone else's . But the constant reference to earlier posts? What's that all about?

Think about it.

I realise I'm opening myself to a choice riposte about my own style of posting but my comments are meant in good faith.

Plus....I have broad shoulders and a thick skin :lol:

:a32:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:@ A-Four

I do understand why you find some responses (mine included ) to your posts irritating. But there might be less of them if you weren't so cryptic.

I gather you are one of the 'old hands ' as Luxor life goes and I'm sure have many tales to tell about the old days. I'd be interested to learn about this.....and the need for a certain degree of privacy is recognised.

As regards current affairs, your views and opinions are as valuable as anyone else's . But the constant reference to earlier posts? What's that all about?

Think about it.

I realise I'm opening myself to a choice riposte about my own style of posting but my comments are meant in good faith.

Plus....I have broad shoulders and a thick skin :lol:

:a32:
Plus his constant advice that others should apologise when he disagrees with their posts or opinions and his obsession with the 'likes' system. He sees it a some sort of unachievable goal, mainly as the person disagreeing with him or making a point usually gets more 'likes' than he does, he then resorts to calling respected members of this forum Bar-Flies. He may have hung around Luxor for some time, but on this forum he is still a new boy and may gain more respect if he resisted the self praise and constant references to himself and his previous posts that we all find so tedious, he should then realise that those he calls Bar-Flies and advises to "**** ***" have contributed more to these forums than he ever will. 8)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

There may be even less soon, my generator has been hooked up for over 3 hours now and still no sign of restoration. Regarding A4's posts, I always seem to understand them, especially about the Middle East, here is something to throw in the pot, could it be that Egypt may end up like Sudan, A North Egypt and South Egypt, who knows, maybe not in my lifetime but you never know how things will go, at the moments things are walking a tightrope.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

What :!: Explain yourself MT, some posts leave me totally baffled, why would you think that Egypt may split into North and South :?: :?:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

It's just a thought Carol, it seems investment is all going to Lower Egypt, there are no signs of it coming to Upper Egypt. I have just turned the generator off due to electric restoration only to find the power is so low, the AC's are not working due to lack of power. Now recently there was a wind farm opened, let me see was that in Upper or Lower Egypt, with the aim of boosting supplies. It's not just me, the complex next door has tourists living in the pool to keep cool, again their power too is so low the AC's are not working. Up until the power restoration all was well, even on the days that were hotter than today. This happened last year, it would be interesting to know what improvements were made during the Winter months to elevate the problem of last year. If Any!