Egypt air plane missing

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Egypt air plane missing

Post by Winged Isis »

Typical of various sources:
http://egyptianstreets.com/2016/05/19/w ... een-found/

But as I actually post this link, my radio is saying the Greeks declare otherwise.

Only time will tell.

Carpe diem! :le:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The government here are all ready discounting the spotted debris as belonging to refugees that have attempted to cross in that area. Already we are seeing the slippery tongue of denial. Wes should wait for when the conclusive evidence and causes are known.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Seems they have now, definitely, found luggage and other debris and the Egyptian press can drop the euphemism "missing" and substitute "crashed".
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

From the Egyptair website...

EGYPTAIR FLIGHT MS 804
EGYPTAIR Flight number MS 804 PARIS CAIRO
20/05/2016
Debris from MS804 found by Egyptian military The Egyptian Armed Forces have informed EGYPTAIR that they have found first debris from the missing aircraft operating flight MS804 around 295 KM from the Egyptian coastline. MS804 lost contact with radar above the Mediterranean Sea about 295 KM from the Egyptian sea coast at 02:30 am CLT on 19 May. It was due to arrive Cairo Airport at 03:15 am CLT. The search in the area continues and further updates will be issued on www.egyptair.com and in our social media channels as more information becomes available. EGYPTAIR sincerely conveys its deepest sorrow to the families and friends of the passengers on-board Flight MS804. We extend our deepest sympathies to those affected and have engaged international emergency support group Kenyon to assist with care for those touched by this tragedy. Those concerned about missing relatives or friends who may have been on board are invited to call 080077770000 within Egypt Or +20225989320 international
طائرة مصر للطيران رحلة رقم804 المتجهة من باريس الى القاهرة
20/05/2016
عثرت القوات المسلحة المصرية في الساعات الأولي من صباح اليوم علي بعد 295 كيلو من سواحل الأسكندرية علي بقايا حطام ومتعلقات الرحلة ٨٠٤ هذا وتنعي مصرللطيران أسر ضحايا الطائرة وتعرب عن بالغ اسفها لهذا الحادث الأليم وتؤكد الشركة انها تقوم باتخاذ كافة الاجراءات اللازمة للتعامل مع الموقف من كل جوانبه . هذا ويتابع مركز أزمات مصرللطيران تطورات الموقف أولا باول وسوف نوافيكم بأي تفاصيل فور ورودها الينا لمزيد من المعلومات؛يرجى الاتصال برقم080077770000 من داخل مصر او 20225989320 دوليا
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Not just debris being reported now - human remains too, which make it all pretty conclusive!
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Yes:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/egyptair-fl ... p0b49.html

The human face of the tragedy is felt even this far away:

EgyptAir flight MS804: passenger Richard Osman worked in Australia

A geologist and new father who had previously worked in a West Australian gold mine has been identified as a passenger on board the missing EgyptAir flight that abruptly swerved before vanishing from radar over the Mediterranean Sea.

Richard Osman, 40, was travelling on Flight MS804 from Paris to Cairo, where he worked as an executive with mining company Centamin, when the plane disappeared between the Greek island of Crete and Egypt's coastline early on Thursday, local time.

Just two weeks ago, Mr Osman and his wife, Aureilie, had welcomed the birth of their second daughter, Olympe, a sister for one-year-old Victios.
Welsh-born Mr Osman was said to be "deliriously happy" at becoming a father again, his brother Alistair told the South Wales Evening Post.
"Richard was so happy at the birth of his second daughter, and yet two weeks later he is no longer with us. It's an absolute tragedy," Alistair said.
"He was really happy about having the baby and was looking forward to enjoying a lovely family life with his two girls."

Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop confirmed an Australian-British dual national was on board the missing flight. She did not name the dual national, but said Australia was working closely with British authorities, who were providing consular assistance to the man's family.

"My thoughts are with the families and friends of those affected," Ms Bishop said.

Mr Osman was the only British national identified among those on board the plane.

Alistair said his brother had previously worked in gold mines in Australia, before returning to Europe several years ago. He was living with his family in Jersey, in the Channel Islands.

Centamin has an office in Mount Pleasant in Western Australia. When contacted by Fairfax Media, a spokeswoman at the Mount Pleasant office said she was unable to comment, and referred all inquiries to the company's headquarters in Jersey.

Mr Osman is listed as a business development manager with Centamin on the company's website, which says he had more than 16 years of experience in the industry.

He previously worked for five years at the Big Bell Gold Mine, near Cue in Western Australia, when it was owned and operated by Harmony Gold. The mine closed in 2003.

Alistair said his brother travelled around the world regularly for his job.

"He's been doing this for years in the gold mining industry. This [trip to Cairo] was a regular trip. He used to do it at least once a month, year after year," he told ITV News.

He said his brother was a "very kind person, loving person, very focused" who "never deviated from the straight path".

"A lot of people admired him for his strength and values," he said.

He said he could not comprehend that his brother could have been the victim of a terrorist attack. Egypt's Civil Aviation Minister has said the possibility of a terrorist attack was "stronger" than technical failure

"This is the reality of ISIS [Islamic State] and groups like that. It's indiscriminate," Alistair told ITV News.

"They don't think any of these people have family members, or a past, or a history of hopes and dreams."

Mr Osman is the eldest of four children and grew up in south Wales after his father, a doctor, moved there from his native Egypt to work as a consultant.

EgyptAir said there were 66 people on board the flight, including a child and two babies.

Those on board, according to EgyptAir, included 15 French passengers, 30 Egyptians, two Iraqis, one Briton, one Kuwaiti, one Saudi, one Sudanese, one Chadian, one Portuguese, one Belgian, one Algerian and one Canadian.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/egyptair-fl ... z49EpMIXpU
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Like your post WI for its information, yes a sad loss for a lot of people, but all this speculation gets on my nerves, wish people would just wait and see what really happened, but I suppose that's the media for you!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Latest information being released is from an automated system that monitors and reports various faults back to a maintenance data base. It is reportedly showing a high temperature reading on the RH cockpit window plus smoke in a toilet and in the avionics compartment, so a severe fire would seem to be involved.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Latest information being released is from an automated system that monitors and reports various faults back to a maintenance data base. It is reportedly showing a high temperature reading on the RH cockpit window plus smoke in a toilet and in the avionics compartment, so a severe fire would seem to be involved.
Presumably it takes several hours for this info, even when transmitted in real time from plane, to be processed and disseminated. Nobody seemed to know about this until several hours after the plane went missing.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I think the reason is that it is essentially a maintenance tool used by the airlines to monitor more basic functions such as blown lightbulbs etc. so that they can be added to the servicing of the aircraft. So maybe they (the codes) came under more scrutiny because of the crash and the raised cockpit window temperatures and smoke detection took on more importance. Either that or the aircraft manufacturers/airline or whoever, was keeping quiet hoping another scenario was to blame, as I said earlier I believe the information was leaked, but is being widely reported on TV.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

God I hope it's not a malfunction or problem with the plane, if it is that may be the final nail in the coffin for Luxors tourism, there is basically only Egypt Air that fly's to Luxor nowadays. It's ok for Cairo and the North of Egypt because that's where all the money is going, but for Luxor, which only has tourism for a lifeline it could be a disaster. Let's hope and pray it's something beyond anyone's control. I don't think it could be pilot error though he had loads of flying time and miles, and was obviously very experienced. For the families and loved ones of those on board, I cannot start to imagine what they are going through.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Quote "All this speculation gets on my nerves." :lol:
Last edited by carrie on Sat May 21, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Most people will speculate until the true facts are, or in many cases not known, take the Malaysian missing aircraft, it is all speculation because speculation is all we have. Every piece of information that gets released is part of the overall picture and when you have countries such as Egypt who are extremely economical with the truth then the only alternative is to speculate on what may have happened.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:I think the reason is that it is essentially a maintenance tool used by the airlines to monitor more basic functions such as blown light bulbs etc. so that they can be added to the servicing of the aircraft. So maybe they (the codes) came under more scrutiny because of the crash and the raised cockpit window temperatures and smoke detection took on more importance. Either that or the aircraft manufacturers/airline or whoever, was keeping quiet hoping another scenario was to blame, as I said earlier I believe the information was leaked, but is being widely reported on TV.
Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System is used for the aircraft systems not basic maintenance items like light bulbs it relays a status report periodically about the systems on the aircraft and directly when there are serious items to report.
I cannot understand why in this day and age all the info recorded on the 2 Flight Recorders cannot be transmitted periodically as well even down to cameras on the flight deck and in the cabin I mean even London buses and trains have these cameras. All this speculation time and cost looking for the black boxes each time its an aircraft lost over sea.

All I can workout is it's not the same scenario as the Metrojet.

I also noticed that the Metrojet plane went down the day Egypt was to launch a massive Tourism Boosting program later that day.

And Paris was to launch a similar event the day of the Egyptair loss.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I only half caught the news item as I was otherwise engaged, I mentioned the blown lightbulbs as it was listed amongst other routine maintenance work being logged by this system, but thanks for the clarification and I agree that in this information technology age when billions of phone calls can be monitored that some sort of live data reporting cannot be implimented with the black boxes being a failsafe backup, no doubt it all comes down to cost or so we will be told.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Got to be cheaper than sending subs around the oceans especially for the ones never found.
If the airlines were made to pay into joint fund to pay for all this the other option might be cheaper.

Interesting item considering the amount of fake chargers and batteries for sale around here and elsewhere.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

An interesting article, I have a friend who is gadget mad and one of his acquisitions was an extremely powerful hand held LED torch. It is really well made and expensive to buy with a thick aluminium barrel and bright enough to illuminate your house if he aims it at your windows in the dark, the thing is though that the discharge rate is frightening. He once accidentally left it switched on for about 30 minutes and the heat from the case could have boiled an egg it was so hot. :o

The latest bit of information seems to indicate a couple of computers involved in aircraft control went down shortly before the crash, so possibly they were unable to fly the plane at that point due to this failure. :(
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Nice report WI but here was this man when he saw the window blown out from the inside, was he wing walking? No one else knows this.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Where I the report does it say he saw the window blown out? Read it and watched it twice but can't find any reference to him having seen anything? Speculation again.