Our new Prime Minister?

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Our new Prime Minister?

Post by Horus »

Well when you think of all the skulduggery that Abraham Lincoln had to pull in order to get his 13th amendment anti slavery bill through Congress and he only managed to get his two thirds majority by just 2 votes I can’t see what the remainers are complaining about. And don’t forget he even lied to get more support for his bill by saying that there was no Southern delegation “to his knowledge” seeking an end to the civil war when fully aware that Ulysses S. Grant was already meeting with them. Had Congress known that the civil war was about to end it is doubtful that his bill would have been passed. Their rules said it must be a two thirds majority vote and ours say it is the majority vote, so by that same token would you oppose the emancipation bill as being too close because it just scraped through and Lincoln told lies? ;)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Far be it for me to oppose a "done deal" :lol:

I may, however, choose to laugh at the absurdity of the way in which a mature democracy takes such important decisions.

You'd think, after a thousand years, we'd have got a little better. :urm:

Let's hope the ensuing mess is tackled with aplomb by our lords & masters (although I'm not holding my breath!)

Having walked over the cliff, and into the void, all I see at the moment is a lot of bureaucrats wildly flapping their arms. I hope they can master the science of flight before they hit the ground. :wi

Blair & Co are being criticised for going to war in Iraq without any coherent plan for the consequences. History is repeating itself :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Funny you mentioned and Abraham Lincoln & skulduggery.

Iv'e just started James D Horan's The Pinkertons 70/- net or £3.50.

Hardback 1967 it's from one of Bruce's inherited library, sadly unsigned.

Allan Pinkerton worked for him and the things they got up to, unbelievable.
He even saved him from his first attempted assassination.
Their logo was an open eye underneath "We Never Sleep"

He Allan, left the Gorbals in Glasgow aged 20 & went to the States as a cooper.....8)

Ps: He, Didn't drink, smoke or go with loose women and he wasn't even religious. "Just a another Glaswegian 'nutter.
He did love fighting though another classic 'wedgie trait....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Every time the Tory politician Ian Duncan Smith gets interviewed on TV over the leadership challenge they call him I.D.S. Now with my poor hearing I keep thinking they are saying I.B.S. (irritable bowel syndrome) and it is annoying me, but there again every time I hear him speak it makes me want to crap, so maybe I am hearing correctly anyway. ;)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Newcastle, if you think that the referendum was unfair, then how about the unfairness of the next PM being elected by less than .5% of the population and if it were a labour PM it would be by around 240,000 party members, at least with the referendum everyone over 18 years old, man or woman and who could bothered to get out of bed could cast a vote. We even allowed all you lot living everywhere else to have a postal vote as long as you had not been gone for more than 15 years and extended the registration deadline by 24 hours so they could drum up more support, I mean, how biased could we make it for you and you still lost, ;) even the Jocks didn’t risk doing that. :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Newcastle, if you think that the referendum was unfair, then how about the unfairness of the next PM being elected by less than .5% of the population I though I dealt with this earlier in the thread...."If you thought the process for determining our future in Europe was a travesty of democracy (well...I did!).....then you may not be that surprised that the next Prime Minister will be chosen by a simple majority of an electorate comprising Tory backwoodsmen & women, complete with tweeds, twinset & pearls.....all 150,000 of them!

You couldn't make it up."

and if it were a labour PM it would be by around 240,000 party members, at least with the referendum everyone over 18 years old, man or woman and who could bothered to get out of bed could cast a vote. We even allowed all you lot living everywhere else to have a postal vote as long as you had not been gone for more than 15 years and extended the registration deadline by 24 hours so they could drum up more support, I mean, how biased could we make it for you and you still lost, ;) even the Jocks didn’t risk doing that. :lol:
If you think making critical decisions by referendum (especially by a simple majority on any old turn out) is sensible, or even 'democratic'.....go for it :)))

Oh....you did! Then........enjoy the subsequent turmoil :lol:

Funnily enough we don't get this sort of "at each other throats" reaction to conventional elections.....however close run and however low the turnout.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Funnily enough we don't get this sort of "at each other throats" reaction to conventional elections.....however close run and however low the turnout.
Not true, the lefties have nevers stopped banging on about how the last Tory governments were elected by less than 30% of the population ;)
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You don't have to be a "lefty" or a "righty" to believe that the current electoral system is totally unfair.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As Churchill once said "Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
Not true, the lefties have nevers stopped banging on about how the last Tory governments were elected by less than 30% of the population ;)
Disagree!

You can't compare the disappointment felt by the losing party supporters at a general election with what we're seeing now on social media. Have you ever seen a petition for a general election to be re-run?

Why? Simply because for centuries a general election of MP's to a sovereign parliament has been our way of government. We elect the MP's...they take the decisions....if we don't like it , we get to have another selection process every 5 years. Works fine. We're used to it.

This idea of decision by referendum is both flawed and divisive....as is patently clear! And that would be my view whatever the outcome of this, or any referendum.

The supporters of OUT may be basking in their "success".....after all, an exit from EU was unlikely with the current constitution of parliament. But I wonder how cheerful they feel now, in the cold light of day, with both major parties in turmoil and no plan whatsoever for how to take matters forward.

Ever heard the expression...."better the devil you know"?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

But you seem to think that everyone is regretting the decision to leave, the only dissent I see in the news or on the TV is all those remainers who just cannot accept the result, it is they who keep saying we should have another vote, it is they who keep feeding on the doom and gloom. ;) Where is the proof that everyone is regretting their decision? I don’t know any, in fact most people I speak to cannot wait for article 50 to be enacted so we can get on with it. It must be obvious to anyone that things will be rocky for some time after, it was never going to be a smooth transition, but when you have the majority of people living outside of London (Scotland & NI excluded, they have their own agendas) who actually feel that they have benefited very little from EU membership, then the general mood is that they had little benefit from it to start with, so they they feel have little to lose by voting out.

And there lies the problem, all successive governments have been so Londoncentric that they failed to see the dissatisfaction felt by many parts of the UK that they were not benefiting from all this supposed EU largess, if nothing else this vote will shake up those career politicians who mainly pay lip service to their electorate, then go their own merry way once in power.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I see in another article that poor old Spain and Portugal are about to be punished for not correcting of their excessive deficits, meanwhile two prolific offenders namely France and Italy will probably escape any such sanctions, but hey it is the EU. ;)

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/eu-declares-s ... html?nhp=1
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:But you seem to think that everyone is regretting the decision to leave,Do I?....are we now engaging in a bit of mind reading a la Hafiz?. I don't recall saying anything of the sort....merely wondering if they might not be so cheerful now. That much is pretty apparent from what I'm seeing on TV, in the press and on social media. Almost panicking at the possibility that the politicians seem in no hurry to enact clause 50. the only dissent I see in the news or on the TV is all those remainers who just cannot accept the result, it is they who keep saying we should have another vote, it is they who keep feeding on the doom and gloom. ;) Where is the proof that everyone is regretting their decision? I don’t know any, in fact most people I speak to cannot wait for article 50 to be enacted so we can get on with it. It must be obvious to anyone that things will be rocky for some time after,It might be now! I'm not convinced that brexiters realised this when they voted. The way the leave campaigners spoke it would all be plain sailing and simplicity itself. Project fear was described as a wild exaggeration...all will be well. It may all be well....eventually....some years from now...when they know what to do and how to do it :lol: In the meantime....? it was never going to be a smooth transition, but when you have the majority of people living outside of London (Scotland & NI excluded, they have their own agendas) who actually feel that they have benefited very little from EU membership, then the general mood is that they had little benefit from it to start with, so they they feel have little to lose by voting out.There was an interesting prog this morning, canvassing views from pro's and anti's. A vote made simply against the system seemed to be the case with some....rather in the way the ruling government tends to get it in the neck in mid-term by-elections

And there lies the problem, all successive governments have been so Londoncentric that they failed to see the dissatisfaction felt by many parts of the UK that they were not benefiting from all this supposed EU largess,...or indeed much else of government policy...the 'protest' vote as I mention above if nothing else this vote will shake up those career politicians who mainly pay lip service to their electorate, then go their own merry way once in powerWishful thinking :lol: What it will do is make them think very carefully before holding a referendum on anything. And quite right too :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

P.S. @ Horus in particular (and any other brexiters)

:wf2: :wf2: :wf2: :wf2:

You won....well done...I've had it with commenting on the referendum and will say no more :lol:

(Unless provoked ;) :dv )
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

On behalf of the majority I accept your surrender :a74: :snig: