14/03/2017

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

14/03/2017

Post by Major Thom »

At 12.15pm our flight leaves Luxor for Cairo International Airport, the hub of traffic and travelers around the World. Tickets booked cases packed, then two hours wait for connection flight out to our new life...... Whoopie!!!! When we land at our destination a new Toyota Rav 4 will be waiting for us, confirmed order and delivery. One night in a Hotel, and then a two hour drive to our new abode, again already sorted, with views out to the sea. The Internet has been brilliant, everything organized from the comfort of our sofa's

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Re: 14/03/2017

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Good luck to you both. Nothing worse than hating where you live! :up
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Wish you luck with your move and indeed the internet is a wonderful thing, who would have thought some years ago that all these things could be sorted just by looking at a screen and typing a few words.
Once again good luck and I do hope you are happy in your new life.
Tullock

Post by Tullock »

MT I wish you so much Luck well done for getting yourself sorted and out of there , think your self lucky you have the money to do it , think of your self blessed because so many are stuck
Luxor Egypt has been finished now for years , its almost impossible for anyone to stay there anymore they are tightening the visa on a monthly basis
the place has gone down hill fast
the people who are still living there are either in denial deluded or down right stupid not to get out
you can now look after your health properly , eat some decent food walk in peace enjoy all the services a third world muslim country cannot give to you
i really am genuinely excited for you you will never look back to hell
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Yes good luck with your new venture, but try not to count the days or it will seem like an eternity, just chill out in your garden and make a few final trips around the monuments taking lots of pictures, one day you may look back on your experience with a less jaundiced view. :)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote:"The people who are still living there are either in denial deluded or down right stupid not to get out.....

Wrong, the people who are screwed should have done their homework before relocating and stop watching 'a place in the sun TV programs.
Some of us love where we live and some people will never find happiness because they were always "right stupid.. 8)
Ps: "a third world muslim country ? it didn't 'suddenly become a third world muslim country, duh!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Good luck with the move.
Have you sold the bike?
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I think if I were so desperate to leave a place I would not be allowing myself only a two hour transfer slot. Experience has taught me that internal flights can be delayed for a myriad of reasons and the ongoing international ones do not normally wait. Nevertheless, good luck to you.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Tullock wrote:MT I wish you so much Luck well done for getting yourself sorted and out of there , think your self lucky you have the money to do it , think of your self blessed because so many are stuck
Luxor Egypt has been finished now for years , its almost impossible for anyone to stay there anymore they are tightening the visa on a monthly basis
the place has gone down hill fast
the people who are still living there are either in denial deluded or down right stupid not to get out
you can now look after your health properly , eat some decent food walk in peace enjoy all the services a third world muslim country cannot give to you
i really am genuinely excited for you you will never look back to hell
Out with the old, in with the new. :urm:

Very happy to see that finally you have a second chance of starting over again and the freedom to shop until you drop knowing all is fresh and hearty. But you do have to remember it is not the place that creates contentment, but the attitude of the mind. Wish both of you the very best and looking forward to see your listings of ''see what we have now.'' Personally speaking I still love this place, even with all its faults and I look forward to my adventure carrying on.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Everything sold Bombay, Over 10 bags of clothes gone to Ace. I do agree to an extent about the visa situation though, it does change every week and virtually makes living here unpleasant, and frustrating has hell. We were tourist here for 20 years before we moved and had plenty of friends before moving, so we knew more than most. However who was to know about the two revolutions that were in the future. They changed everything. I appreciate that some are here because of the history, we did mist of that before moving, now we don't even glance at historic sites when passing.
Our biggest gripe is you cannot get a decision here, mainly due to the fact inexperienced people who should be able to make a decision are in the jobs that should only be filled by those who are experienced, but that's nepatism for you. People have had their guts ripped from them, they have no fight left in them at all, but that's oppression. Medical and education facilities are way under funded, unless you just want a sticky plaster on your mossie bite. Have you known another place where teachers allow children to sleep, because they had been up late the night before? The problems will go on forever.
I did not really want my motorbike to go to the village, because they let juveniles ride them, and did not want the responsibility for a child's death from riding a large bike. So I sold it outside the village, got criticized by the village, one villager said that after all he had done for us he should have had first choice. What? After giving him my old motorbike that promptly got wrecked after 4 months, after giving him a 3 bay wardrobe, after giving him 2 air conditioners, and numerous amounts of money for family medicine. What right has he to criticize me, f------ a------. That was the last straw, now we go out the back way of the villa to avoid these B------s They are all underneath the facade me me me!!
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Tullock wrote: well done for getting yourself sorted and out of there , think your self lucky you have the money to do it , think of your self blessed because so many are stuck
I know , I have tried to get out of here , but I am stuck.

I meant to stay for five days , but hated it so much that I tried to cut it down to three , which turned to fourteen. A month later , I was back for one year.

Three years later , I still tried to escape Luxor , I had even fallen in love with a handsome , generous Dane , but I was stuck. I decided to spend one year on West Bank , then I really got stuck.
Tullock wrote: the people who are still living there are either in denial deluded or down right stupid not to get out
It is nearly twelve years, since I came here to see some tombs and temples. I have tried to leave, but it is impossible, though I have never been stupid or deluded enough or so much in denyal, that I would ever forget that I am a guest, I only have myself and should always be ready to leave.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I should reiterate my last post, if I give something to someone, I never expect a return, I give from my heart. What I do not like is these gifts or what ever you want to call them thrown back in my face, nor do what people do for me being used in either an arguement, or as a lever for their own benefit or status. I find this sort of thing appalling. I mean this and I hold this view for everyone. I was hurt by this, do not want it, and just makes me real use what myself and wife are doing is both correct and wholly nessacary.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I think some people will always like Luxor, if they do they do. One person said to me the other day, we like the history that's why we keep coming back, you are not interested in that are you. They are perfectly correct. It's not that I don't like Luxor, maybe if we had stayed tourists we too would be still coming back, and enjoy being tourists, knowing eventually after our visit we would be returning home, but to live here, not really. I have never lived a life where you have to be like a sentry, on your guard all the time. I prefer to trust people. If you think it's cheap to live here, well it's not really, ok cheaper than the UK, but the prices in the UK do not go up 10-20% every week. I got some dog chews the other day, 2 or 3 months ago they were 25 le now they are 56le what warrants that price increase. Look at the percentage increases in. ciggies, meat, benzine, even flat bread, all gone up 50% in a matter of months, in the case of flat bread, you would get ten in a pack now it's 5 for the same price. Look at the choice of food available, really there is no choice. When your retired in life you need some form of organized life, some form of freedom from anxiety, a more relaxed life, to be able to sit back with no stress, knowing that tomorrow you will not need to be on your guard again, not having to manage a disorganized way of life, in the knowledge, when you go shopping shelves will be full, in the knowledge just simple things like eggs, bread, sugar will be freely available, and you don't get ripped off on the black market. Remember the benzine shortage? I was getting mine brought to me from Hurghada at double the price.
I think Tullock calls Egypt a 3rd world Country because you can't get a 4th world Country, can you? Or even a fifth or 6th

We do appreciate the good luck and wishes people have sent us though, even though, we have not seen eye to eye on many occasions, we always say that everyone has a different opinion on things, and must be freely allowed to express themselves. So many thanks for that.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The thing is MT, had you stayed as tourists I doubt that you would still be going back to Luxor. Long before now you would have noticed the decline in the standard of your hotel, especially the lack of other tourists, the increased hassle and the untidiness all around you and lack of investment. Had you stayed as a tourist you would have moved on to a new destination by now, you would have found a new destination to fall in love with, that is the beauty of living in the country of your birth then taking foreign holidays to other places. It is always better to dip your toes into paradise for a few weeks and return home than to buy into paradise full time only to see it turn into hell.
By the way the term ‘Third World’ does not imply poverty, it is just a political phrase to to describe all the countries that were not aligned to either NATO or the Communist Block. The United States plus Western Europe were essentially the ‘First World’ with the Soviet Union, Cuba & China being ‘Second World’ all others were deemed to be ‘Third World’. Anyway it will not be long now and you can move on to your new life and I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Not quite sure what you are missing in the way of food choices in restaurants alone there are Thai, Chinese, Indian,Italian McDonald's,KFC,numerous grill restaurants and more restaurants doing British Fare than your average UK High St. Over the last year I looked all over to buy a business from Cyprus, Spain etc and all prices at the locations I looked at were already much higher than here to eat out.

Yes prices are increasing but you fail to mention your money has more than doubled in the last 3 months. Don't forget when you move to somewhere like Cyprus or any Euro country your money since Britex has gone down quite drastically only now starting to recover and of course all their prices were high to start with.

Over the years I have met many who have moved to Egypt but having looked at their options have
1. Decided against the West Bank
2. Decided against Luxor and moved to the Red Sea or Cairo/Alex Aswan.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

MT's biggest mistake was in expecting Egypt to change to accommodate HIS preferences rather than accepting the changes he would have to make to his lifestyle to live happily in such a different environment.

Having invested in property etc., admitting the mistake and moving on became difficult to the point of causing significant stress - as evidenced by the increasingly confused rants on this forum. They strike me as attempts to shift the blame from his own poor decisions to the country and people of Egypt.

If he hasn't chosen a new home which, ab initio, meets his long term requirements he will find the same problem within a few years.

P.S. Using others to write your posts, changing or hiding your identity, deliberate attempts to mislead others. ....all classic symptoms of a person under severe psychological pressure.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Newc. I do not regret moving to Luxor, I have said it many times on here, it's been an experience. Whether or not I would want to go through that experience again is another matter. But both myself and other posters have said they cannot believe the rapid decline in a place, so really it's not just myself that notices things.
I am just pleased we had Capitol to do this, otherwise like some people we would have been stuck here ages, that would have been a disaster.
When we first moved here and for a further 3 years, Luxor provided me with everything I wanted, for my preferences. Yes I agree buying a home here now is dodgy, especially with the continually changing visa situation, (maybe it's done to get rid of foreigners) I don't know, but I have never seen or come across something so chaotic in my life as the visa situation.
I don't try to shift any blame at all nor do I blame myself, everyone seems like they do not accept the rapid decline, or in denial about the decline. It's the sudden and rapid decline that has caused problems for everyone, not just ex pats. Those that are willing to go along with the decline I don't want to criticize because it's their life. Myself and wife want to enjoy what we have got left together and being here we will never be happy. But surely those that look around have noticed the difference in local people as well, if you have not then it's because they are maybe blinding you in their never a baiting quest for cash. It also seems lying is now a norm, and this thing about wanting commission for everything is shyte! It's corrupt and bloody appalling. I think I said in an earlier post, I overheard someone claiming 1000le commission for doing FA. It ended up I was so appalled I ended up paying the person who had been stung for 1000le because it was money coming out of his pocket. What a disgrace, but that's what thieves and corrupt people are all about. Corruption is in every walk of life here, it's inbred in the last generation, this generation and the next generation, so there will be no hope for change.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Is it just me, or does anyone else see a similarity in attitude to life between MT and Donald Trump? 8)
Smile! It confuses people
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote "When your retired in life you need some form of organized life, some form of freedom from anxiety, a more relaxed life, to be able to sit back with no stress, knowing that tomorrow you will not need to be on your guard again, not having to manage a disorganized way of life.

The above points say an unreality towards one's life and only speaks of entering a retirement home.
Life which should have been realised way before now is constant problem solving, overcoming hurdles which are thrown at one daily any other view is a step into delusion.

To be honest your statements on here when you first relocated to Luxor spelt disaster to me from the off.
But, never give up until you enter the old folks retirement institution and complain about which television channel
you are allowed to gawp at.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@ MT

I haven't noticed any "sudden and rapid " decline.......apart from tourism and the rapid rise in prices. The country generally, and the nature of the Egyptians is as it's always been.

The visa chaos? You can read about it on this forum going back 5-6 years.

Maybe your observations are unique to Luxor....which is a bit of an oddity in many respects.

Although we've seldom seen eye to eye, I join others in wishing you a happier experience in your new destination. I was reading your acidic comments on Australia in an earlier (2012) post. Presumably you've either changed your mind...or found somewhere more acceptable. :lol: