Photos please

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Photos please

Post by Major Thom »

Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. All the photos on the net are old showing the place full of tourists. Also want now and then photos. I have hundreds of the historic sites, from the good old days thanks, but not enough of today's up to date photos. it will be good to show these photo's instead of getting people here under the misguiding old photo's showing the place in its hay day. I believe Luxor needs proper representation, from the people that live here. (Suppose I will get none)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Photos please

Post by newcastle »

I'm sure a modicum of research on your part could turn up photos of wind-blown deserted temples, emaciated horses, ragged, barefoot urchins with their hands out, piles of rubbish adjacent to skips, bloated dead carcasses floating down the Nile....

Is this what you have in mind?

Or you could , again with little effort, find photos of a sunny, beautiful land, populated by smiling kids and their toothless elders, enjoying life despite its hardships on the banks of one of the world's greatest rivers

Your choice :wi
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Strange that you want to start a blog on Luxor and its deterioration, but you don’t have the first hand evidence to support it yourself. With very little personal effort I could easily Photoshop a few of mine taken at the height of tourism that would show very few or no people and some of the less salubrious areas of Luxor, but they would not be a true representation now would they? :urm:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Living IN Luxor, and with all those millions you have squirrelled away Major Thom and you do not possess a camera and a pair of legs ? :tk

Worse case scenario is that you will have to part with 5 or 10 LE out of courtesy to get some good close up shots of local vagrants...

"Seek and Ye will find" ! It's one of the many aspects of life down here that I do so enjoy. Emphasis being on "Enjoy" ..... :br
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Part of me wants to utter in my best Victor Meldrew voice 'I don't believe it!'. The other part of me does believe it and is not in the least surprised that the 'Blog' is not really going to be that, as in a personal thing. It is incredible to me that you should not have your own photographs of more recent times in Luxor and expect others to provide them for you.
I have a fair few photographs of Luxor from all my visits but there is no way I would authorise someone to use them to support their own negative views of a place they have never come to terms with and now hate.

Reminds me a bit of another expat in Luxor who manages to get others to do much of their academic and non academic work done for them too.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I never go out without my camera, also my phone takes excellent photos, they are for my personal pleasure, go a walk MT instead of sleeping all day.
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Somewhere on a hard disc, I have the most fascinating photos of Djorfe as an unspoilt piece of nature, taking you back to ancient Egypt. When I lived on East Bank, I sailed a lot on the river and usually timed it with the almost magic sunsets at Djorfe.

Large prints of those photos on my walls used to remind me of why I lived in Egypt during times that were more challenging for me personally than now, when I simply enjoy it here.
:a25:
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I have a couple that you may be interested in, one of my timber yard, wood you believe it, showing stacks of timber, 2x2 3x2 4x2 and a rare shot of a length of 4.5x4.5. at rest. But obviously you would have to have an interest in timber. The next is a set of me and my past partner doing a photo shoot on a new cruiser for Viking travel, just me, her and a bikini clad chick. :up Apart from the three of us the ship is totally devoid of other life, so, in theory this could of been taken yesterday as the same ship is still totally devoid of life, so you could get away with a 'then and now'. Unfortunately all my other photo's show both Europeans and locals smiling, so that would sort of defeat your objective. :(
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:I'm sure a modicum of research on your part could turn up photos of wind-blown deserted temples, emaciated horses, ragged, barefoot urchins with their hands out, piles of rubbish adjacent to skips, bloated dead carcasses floating down the Nile....

Or you could , again with little effort, find photos of a sunny, beautiful land, populated by smiling kids and their toothless elders, enjoying life despite its hardships on the banks of one of the world's greatest rivers

I've been trying to 'Like' this post but for some reason the button won't accept my command. It seems to have worked on other posts in the thread though. (May be the same bug that Dusak had the other day. Who knows!)
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Peace at last....
Not a tourist or ex-pat in sight, thank God.... 8)

Ps: A reminder 'look before you leap!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
newcastle wrote:I'm sure a modicum of research on your part could turn up photos of wind-blown deserted temples, emaciated horses, ragged, barefoot urchins with their hands out, piles of rubbish adjacent to skips, bloated dead carcasses floating down the Nile....

I've been trying to 'Like' this post but for some reason the button won't accept my command. It seems to have worked on other posts in the thread though. (May be the same bug that Dusak had the other day. Who knows!)
It's showing now.

I've noticed for some time that the "like" button can be temperamental....often seems not to be working but you see the desired result when you revisit the post a few minutes later.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:

It's showing now.

I've noticed for some time that the "like" button can be temperamental....often seems not to be working but you see the desired result when you revisit the post a few minutes later.
Typical! I know it can be a bit odd at times but it's normally cosistantly odd for me. (A bit like some posts. ;-) )
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Been out today and sneakily took some photos of a chinese lady in the souk. She was wearing a huge hat with a scarf over it tied under her chin. Very colourful clothes she looked marvelous.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. All the photos on the net are old showing the place full of tourists. Also want now and then photos. I have hundreds of the historic sites, from the good old days thanks, but not enough of today's up to date photos. it will be good to show these photo's instead of getting people here under the misguiding old photo's showing the place in its hay day. I believe Luxor needs proper representation, from the people that live here. (Suppose I will get none)
I'm trying to understand something here, Major Thom why are you so concerned about trying to draw people to Luxor, when you yourself are abandoning it? Having a project is good, but do you really think another 'blog' about Luxor - no matter the photo's shown on it - is really going to help, especially if it is written retrospectively.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well one could wonder why anyone would film themselves, upload it to Youtube saying just how great Luxor is or was.
Unless of course one 'want's to change the world' just a thought!.... 8)
Ps: On second thoughts...'Mind you it could have been an attempt at Egypt's got Talent...
'quite a 'youtube earner some say...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

If I had to leave Egypt I would look back on my time spent here with many very happy memories but it would be part of my past. My concerns would be my future how to make a new life, new friends and new interests. No doubt I would be still interested in Egypt, Luxor and what was happening here but as I said before it would be in the past, unless of course I wanted to tell all my new acquaintances that I used to live here hoping to impress.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. All the photos on the net are old showing the place full of tourists. Also want now and then photos. I have hundreds of the historic sites, from the good old days thanks, but not enough of today's up to date photos. it will be good to show these photo's instead of getting people here under the misguiding old photo's showing the place in its hay day.

I read this as meaning you want to show how much (in your view) Luxor has deteriorated over the years

I believe Luxor needs proper representation, from the people that live here. (Suppose I will get none)

Do you? Why...when you are about to leave? What do you care?

If you're thinking of rubbishing Luxor from afar, that really is pathetic.......get a life!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. All the photos on the net are old showing the place full of tourists. Also want now and then photos. I have hundreds of the historic sites, from the good old days thanks, but not enough of today's up to date photos. it will be good to show these photo's instead of getting people here under the misguiding old photo's showing the place in its hay day.

I read this as meaning you want to show how much (in your view) Luxor has deteriorated over the years

I believe Luxor needs proper representation, from the people that live here. (Suppose I will get none)

Do you? Why...when you are about to leave? What do you care?

If you're thinking of rubbishing Luxor from afar, that really is pathetic.......get a life!
I've had the word 'pathetic' in my head all day. So far resisted using it but I can't anymore. It's the '(Suppose I will get none)' which I find pathetic. I've noticed similar pathetic comments in previous posts by Major Thom. It must be a sign of insecurity, leaving the way open for him to say 'Just as I expected' or 'I told you so' .
-Aldous Huxley
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. (Suppose I will get none)
I am afraid that finding my pieces of work on your new site would give me the same feeling as you get when seeing your neighbours wearing your good clothes while working in the fields.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Major Thom wrote:Has anyone got photo's of today's Luxor please ready for my new site. All the photos on the net are old showing the place full of tourists. Also want now and then photos. I have hundreds of the historic sites, from the good old days thanks, but not enough of today's up to date photos. it will be good to show these photo's instead of getting people here under the misguiding old photo's showing the place in its hay day. I believe Luxor needs proper representation, from the people that live here. (Suppose I will get none)
You should be able to take plenty yourself over the next 3 weeks, if you can be arsed.