Toyota RAV 4

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: Toyota RAV 4

Post by John Landon »

Brian Yare wrote:
John Landon wrote:I have modified the engine to give more power and torque, which is why I get more MPG than standard. :up
I bet your Insurance company liked that!
Yes, they were ecstatic when I didn't tell them..... 8)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

In 1980 I got a new Lada 1300 to run around in, mine and my wife's cars were gas guzzlers, my wife hated it, but for me it was ideal to run around in. Then my wife wrote it off for me, when she crashed down and embankment. She told me she had to brake hard got into a skid and went down a 29' embankment on the Snake Pass. There were no skid marks, and all she suffered was a broken false finger nail. I have always been suspicious!
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

John Landon wrote:
Brian Yare wrote:
John Landon wrote:I have modified the engine to give more power and torque, which is why I get more MPG than standard. :up
Yes, they were ecstatic when I didn't tell them..... 8)
You would have been less than ecstatic if you were caught for driving without insurance, or had a claim refused. :evil:
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

John Landon wrote:The Triumph 1300 was Triumphs first venture into Front Wheel drive if I recall correctly. Followed by the Dolomite.
The Dolomite was rear wheel drive. The FWD successor to the 1300 was the Triumph 1500.
John Landon wrote:As much as I liked the 60's and 70's, the cars were pretty crap and didnt last very long.
True dat. I've got a 1979 Dolomite Sprint automatic. Last I checked there were only 17 of these left on the road.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Brian Yare wrote:
Yes, they were ecstatic when I didn't tell them..... 8)[/quote]

You would have been less than ecstatic if you were caught for driving without insurance, or had a claim refused. :evil:[/quote]

I'm too clever for that, truth is you would be astounded by what I get away with down here. There is a simple trick to it. 8)
Haters gonna hate.... :ct

FarleyFlavors wrote:
True dat. I've got a 1979 Dolomite Sprint automatic. Last I checked there were only 17 of these left on the road.
That was a great looking car in it's day, much like my 2.5 PI in many ways. The Sprint looked really good in White. :up
I never understood why SAAB did not adopt the 16 valve cylinder head, as they had developed that engine, and used the 1907cc variant in the first SAAB 99, they then increased the engine size to 1850 and finally 2.0 litre. My 1709 CC SAAB had the freewheel option. that was pretty dangerous at times.
I ended up fitting a modified 2.0 Litre SAAB EMS engine into that car, and almost doubled the original 1709 cc power !
I dont think I told the Insurance about that one either... :tk

I also never understood why Triumph never adopted the Rover V8 engine for the Stag , which was a proven engine. Instead the V8 Engine they created for the Stag was a nightmare and overheated. Maybe it was down to the equality of British Steel causing excessive rust particles, or just a bad design ?
The Stag could have been a much better car if they had done that.
My 2.5 Pi Engine ended up in a friends Triumph TR-5 after I wrote off my PI in 1983.

Anyway, BMC, Leyland, British Leyland and finally The Rover Group has now faded into obscurity, as have SAAB.
Nothing lasts forever, be it good or bad.. :rs
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

John Landon wrote:The Sprint looked really good in White.
Indeed.

Shame mine's the colour of diarrhea...
John Landon wrote:I also never understood why Triumph never adopted the Rover V8 engine for the Stag , which was a proven engine.
A strange decision, possibly down to rivalry between the Rover and Triumph departments at BL?
John Landon wrote:Instead the V8 Engine they created for the Stag was a nightmare and overheated.
I heard the overheating problems were solved towards the end of the Stag's production, but by then the poor reputation had spread and the damage had been done.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was working in my first adult job at a Standard Triumph dealership when the Triumph Herald was introduced. It caused a huge stir, the salesmen were more employed on keeping their waiting lists up to date than selling the car. I remember a titled Lady insisting she absolutely had to be put higher on the list, she had told her friends that she was having one, but discovered to her horror that her chauffeur's car was to be delivered first! :o

She was a difficult woman, in my next job I was called upon to design a planting plan of flowering bulbs for under a long avenue of cherry trees - with the proviso that there were to be no yellow flowers. :tk
Smile! It confuses people
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

i had a Triumph Herald, called a Vittesse, brilliant car but in my late teens cost too much in insurance. Super turning circle, and even going around corners slowly you could make the front tyres scream.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

On passing my test and taking the wheel legally I used to make the chicks scream going around tight bends. Those were the days, legs in the air with fright, short skirts and stockings.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:On passing my test and taking the wheel legally I used to make the chicks scream going around tight bends. Those were the days, legs in the air with fright, short skirts and stockings.
I assume you dress more soberly nowadays ;)
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

The Vittesse was the 2.0 Litre version of the herald. It looked nicer with the twin headlamps on each side, but somehow I doubt that Herald Chassis could cope with such a large engine ?
The turning circle was ridiculous on those cars, I dont think it was ever rivalled.
My recently deceased god mother also had a Herald, but she had the estate version. Her son and I spent 2 weeks in the summer of '76 treating all the body rust and respraying it and plastering it with underseal. It looked good for about 1 month after, then all the rust started coming through again, so it got scrapped.

I used to love tinkering about with cars and fixing them up and tuning them. There's not much you can do to cars today, apart from basic servicing, which is a good thing I guess, because cars are so reliable these days, you feel cheated if you dont get at least 150,000 miles out of a medium sized car nowadays.

If I had to choose a car from the 60's or 70's and drive it today from new, it would either be an E-Type Jag, or if that was a bit too ambitious, then a VW Beetle 1500. :up
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I was just thinking about the tax and duties on cars in Egypt. When I bought my Hyundai Coupe in Cairo years ago it cost £12,500, actually £1,500 less than the list price in the UK at that time.

As it was only 1,600 cc I thought I might as well have the slightly bigger 2 litre engine. However the taxes on this model made the purchase price more than double at £28,000 :o

I was only using it around Luxor, so it was only sense to buy the cheaper one. I bought it for the size of it's boot as I brought a lot of produce from my garden up by the bridge to our home in Luxor, however it brought a lot of envy from men, because it would be impossible to carry a family in it. ;)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I can honestly say to a lot of people's dismay, the worse car I have ever owned was a Merceedes 380 SE, got it new in the 80's kept it 3-4 months, it was nothing but trouble, the electrics, the braking system, the electric Windows they kept going up and down and at one point it was lashing down and I could not close the drivers side, the fuel pump packed in, a UV joint went on the prop shaft started to rumble. It spent more time in the dealers garage than in mine. In the end, I went to the dealers other franchise, and swapped for a series 7 BMW, a nice car but heavy on fuel. My favourite every day car was my Puergeot 407 Diesel Estate. Loved it
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

however it brought a lot of envy from men, because it would be impossible to carry a family in it. ;)
MD, seeing how many people they can get on a motorbike :o they would have packed the whole extended family into your coupe. :lol: :lol:
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Shhhhhhhh! Don't give the game away! Mind you anyone who has travelled in the back, never volunteers for another trip. ;)
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Many years ago I and my then girlfriend went to South end visiting friends of hers. The guy owned a red E-Type JAG which he used to take the four of us out for a drink., My seat? the rear parcel shelf. Even as a fit young man it was the most uncomfortable experience of my up to then life. Nice motor though.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaguar_E-Type

I have been out in 77 RW, as seen in the picture in the article.
I have a friend who looks after it for my other friend.

It was the second E Type ever made, and was driven overnight to the Geneva motorshow in November 1961 to cope with demands for test drives.
My mate owned that car, and Jaguar pay to keep in in prime condition on condition that they can borrow it every now and again off him.
They even brought a panel beater out of retirement to create a new bonnet for the car.

It was back then a sort of "development car" for Jaguar, they would try out different components to see how they behaved.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

My son in law has a mint XJS, looks beautiful but a bugger to get in and out of. I was so glad when he picked me up at the airport to see it was a 4x4 he had arrived in. Realised I had joined the old folks club then, comfort now comes before style.
Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I don't know if any of you remember the late and lamented Scott who was a member of this forum? He took the opportunity to drive a Bugatti Veyron around a city in Russia in the first year it became available. Scary!

I know he would have joined in this discussion. R.I.P. Scott you are much missed.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

My XJS was easy to get in and out of, especially when the roof was back. But a sod when the roof was up. It's because you have to get down and into them, the seat well is very low.