UK General Election

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

UK General Election

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Breaking News
Teresa May has just called for a General Election to be held on 8th June 2017.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: UK General Election

Post by Horus »

:lol: :lol: Just made a similar post Hepzi, I will delete my thread :up
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Horus wrote::lol: :lol: Just made a similar post Hepzi, I will delete my thread :up
Sorry, didn't see it.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well what a smart move, at one fell swoop she will settle several issues at once. It will be a major opportunity for any Remoaners to get a second bite at the cherry and if there are enough people who oppose it (Brexit) then they (the Tories) will lose the election, this is all about Brexit. Secondly it will finally get through to the Labour militants that their choice of leader is a big mistake and that the country in general will never vote for a labour government under Jeremy Corben, so hopefully after they get trounced Labour will once again become a viable alternative with a new leader. The wee little Jimmy Krankie impersonator North of the border will no longer be able to try and wag the tail of the English dog and those washy Liberals will no longer be able the threaten to grind government to a halt, better still those unelected members of the House of Lords will be put firmly in their place. Its a simple choice for the electorate, we either back her and her Brexit negotiation plans and give her a strong negotiating hand on Europe, or we kick the Tories out, its a simple choice and the options and future implications of how we vote and what we are voting for is perfectly clear, so after the election if they get re-elected then there can be no back peddling by any opposition groups, bring it on I say and lets settle the issue once and for all.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Jeremy for PM
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Bombay wrote:Jeremy for PM
:lol: :lol: In your dreams :lol:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree Horus, good move on her part vote for me and shut up or vote for Jeremy and his party. As a life long Labour supporter I know which way I would vote and it wouldn't be, for the very first time Labour. Did once spoil my vote when Blair was leader, couldn't stand the man but I have never voted against them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Loads of waffling by Theresa about stability, divisions in parliament etc. Eh??

Unless I've been watching the wrong parliament, she was sailing through with her "hard Brexit". The dig at the HoL was pure theatre.

This is an opportunistic grab for a 100+ Conservative majority. She'll have to live down her repeated denials that she would go for a snap election....but then she's a tough cookie.

Apart from - possibly - the Lib Dems, no-one will be campaigning on a reversal of Brexit. That's settled....and Teresa's main issue will be the nature of our departure from EU. Presumably the Conservative manifesto will include a "hard Brexit" feature. It will be an interesting struggle within the party.

I'm happy with that as it was never a question posed in the Referendum.

Yes...I agree with Bombay....Jeremy for PM and a soft Brexit ! :lol:
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

They Tories might win again now all the disabled have had their mobility withdrawn and can't get to vote!
Last edited by Bombay on Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:
Bombay wrote:Jeremy for PM
:lol: :lol: In your dreams :lol:
Nightmares more like.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Im happy because it gives the nation a chance, (which sadly it wont take i fear) to give that odious pleb Tim Farron an even more of a spanked arse expression on his mug that he currently has.

:P
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Well unlike the Remoaners I am quite happy to abide by the result and if the Tories get thrashed then it signals that the nation has changed its mind and wants to remain in the EU, so instead of a referendum which you all complain is not legitimate, you have the chance to vote out this government and get a softer alternative or even one that says it will reverse the decision. So as a true believer in democracy I will abide by the national vote as that will demonstrate the way the majority of the population feel about it. No one can deny that this will be about Brexit, it is a last chance to have your say, so hopefully it will be a crushing victory and we can at last get on with a strong leader who can get on with the job without every man and his dog wanting to show our hand to the EU before we have even got started with negotiations. As for the HoL I would scrap the lot of those senile trough sniffing parasites and replace it with a smaller but elected second chamber. In fact we have a good opportunity with the up and coming refurbishment of Westminster, just abolish the Lords (put it in the manifesto) and then move the Commons into their old haunt until the refurbishment is complete. The disabled I see driving around in their Motorbility vehicles then strolling into Tesco don’t seem to have much of a problem and they can always get a postal vote if they are that interested. 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Well unlike the Remoaners I am quite happy to abide by the result ( Good....so we won't be hearing from you on any political decisions taken by parliament for the next 5 years :) ) and if the Tories get thrashed then it signals that the nation has changed its mind and wants to remain in the EU, so instead of a referendum which you all complain is not legitimate,( not so much as illegitimate but badly formulated and too vague to give an informed choice. Even Erdogan set out the proposed changes to the Turkish constitution before asking his populace to decide. The UK voters were left to vote yes or no to whatever they thought Brexit meant) you have the chance to vote out this government and get a softer alternative or even one that says it will reverse the decision. So as a true believer in democracy I will abide by the national vote as that will demonstrate the way the majority of the population feel about it. No one can deny that this will be about Brexit,( A little naive. Both main parties are in favour of Brexit...albeit on differing terms. The usual issues of economy etc. will also be on the table and herein the electorate will have major choices ) it is a last chance to have your say, so hopefully it will be a crushing victory and we can at last get on with a strong leader who can get on with the job without every man and his dog wanting to show our hand to the EU before we have even got started with negotiations.( In what way will the parliamentary scrutiny of the Brexit negotiations differ? As far as I know, a vote on the final deal is all that was on offer.) As for the HoL I would scrap the lot of those senile trough sniffing parasites and replace it with a smaller but elected second chamber.(An old hat idea that has been looked at and rejected many times as it would create a conflict of supremacy without any real benefit. ) In fact we have a good opportunity with the up and coming refurbishment of Westminster, just abolish the Lords (put it in the manifesto) (some countries manage without an Upper Chamber. If we keep it as a reviewing body with very limited powers, then there's a good argument for looking at its size and composition) and then move the Commons into their old haunt until the refurbishment is complete. The disabled I see driving around in their Motorbility vehicles then strolling into Tesco don’t seem to have much of a problem and they can always get a postal vote if they are that interested. 8) ( or we could introduce compulsory euthanasia at, say, 70 and be done with the tiresome and costly business of providing for our elderly citizens. You could have the Tesco car park to yourself ;)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Ive already heard 2 or 3 commentators questioning May saying she is riding rough shod over the fixed term Parliment bill but these are special circumstances.

Too much of Parliment is subverting the will of the British people over Brexit and are sending the government into bat with broken handles, this is treason as far as i am concerned.

They dont want the best deal for Britain they want the worse deal so they can say we told you so because thats more important to them than Britain prospering outside of the EU.

Its in the interests of the people that the government has a strong mandate to achieve just that.

These same commentators were moaning when May became leader saying she had never faced a general election as leader (silly because Parties are elected to government not leaders) and didnt have a mandate to be PM.

Make your bloody mind up - do you want an election or not!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

We certainly do Zooropa :up but will it stop the Remoaners? no! even if May gets a massive majority they will still think up some other reason to whinge and regardless of what they are saying IT IS ABOUT BREXIT the voting public know this so get used to it and cast your vote accordingly, there are plenty of parties that would water it down into something the Remoaners would prefer so its up to them if they really do think they are in the majority to get out and vote for another party. At least I am prepared to nail my colours to the mast and say that if the election returns a government with a weaker softer policy towards Brexit then so be it, that will be the majority choice and I will live with it even though my own stance would be to be very tough in negotiations with the EU and to walk away with no deal if they try to screw us over.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Im not sure June 8th gives us enough time to construct all the 20 foot by 20 foot ballot papers needed to fit all the info on so that we avoid another catastrophe ala Brexit when we voted for something "that wasnt on the ballot paper" 8)
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

She has misjudged as did Cameron, Corbin will win by a landslide this time because it will be a second referendum not party politics like the last time. Most Labour seats are safe seats so they need to gain less than May does for a strong mandate.

Who would have thought Trump for President and now Corbin for Prime Minister!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bombay wrote:She has misjudged as did Cameron, Corbin will win by a landslide this time because it will be a second referendum not party politics like the last time. Most Labour seats are safe seats so they need to gain less than May does for a strong mandate.

Who would have thought Trump for President and now Corbin for Prime Minister!
I hope you speak in jest Bombay otherwise im going to have to massively readjust my assessment of your intelligence and common sense which i had previously held at quite a high level.

Corbyn can't and won't even win a raffle.

Any suggestion otherwise is risible.

Take 2 paracetamol Bombay and lye down in a dark room, it should pass.

I need you fighting fit for my visit in May, as i plan to eat like a right fatty!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:We certainly do Zooropa :up but will it stop the Remoaners? no! even if May gets a massive majority they will still think up some other reason to whinge and regardless of what they are saying IT IS ABOUT BREXIT the voting public know this so get used to it and cast your vote accordingly, there are plenty of parties that would water it down into something the Remoaners would prefer so its up to them if they really do think they are in the majority to get out and vote for another party. At least I am prepared to nail my colours to the mast and say that if the election returns a government with a weaker softer policy towards Brexit then so be it, that will be the majority choice and I will live with it even though my own stance would be to be very tough in negotiations with the EU and to walk away with no deal if they try to screw us over.
Whinge?? If you mean voicing my disagreement with elements of the government's policies, I regard that as my democratic right in a free society. I take it you accept, without demur, anything the government proposes...on the basis they won a majority at a general election?

As to Theresa May's volte face over going to the electorate, of course that was nothing to do with the opinion polls showing her massively ahead (unusual for any government mid term) and HM Opposition in disarray. She merely wanted confirmation that the 48% who voted "No" in the Referendum had come to their senses and seen the light.

I don't know how I missed that :a21:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:Im not sure June 8th gives us enough time to construct all the 20 foot by 20 foot ballot papers needed to fit all the info on so that we avoid another catastrophe ala Brexit when we voted for something "that wasnt on the ballot paper" 8)
The word you're looking for is "Manifesto".

A document setting out the governments proposed policies etc....from which they depart at their peril.

The Referendum was preceded by documents from both camps which would disgrace the inside of a Christmas cracker....worthy prognostications based on...well....dodgy forecasts and much navel-gazing.