UK General Election

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: UK General Election

Post by Zooropa »

I have no problem with you or any other Remoaner complaining about the result, only those who want to rerun the referendum.

Ive been on the wrong end of plenty of election results, it didnt stop me complaining nor should it.

But i never argued the result wasnt valid and that id been misled or lied to and that it should be redone.

All Remoaners were so confident of victory they all felt magnanimous enough to talk about being gracious to us Leavers in defeat and wanting to unite the nation together so that we could all move forward as one.

But because they lost that seems to have gone out of the window along with their rattle, they couldnt be more divisive.
Last edited by Zooropa on Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Im not sure June 8th gives us enough time to construct all the 20 foot by 20 foot ballot papers needed to fit all the info on so that we avoid another catastrophe ala Brexit when we voted for something "that wasnt on the ballot paper" 8)
The word you're looking for is "Manifesto".

A document setting out the governments proposed policies etc....from which they depart at their peril.

The Referendum was preceded by documents from both camps which would disgrace the inside of a Christmas cracker....worthy prognostications based on...well....dodgy forecasts and much navel-gazing.
This was not a general election, it was not fought by political parties.

It was based on one question leave or remain.

End of.

My dear Newcastle, you have been thrashed on this subject so many times by Horus and myself that as a gentleman and someone who likes you i cant continue to debate you on this element of the argument anymore.

You need taking out of the ring on this for your own good.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bombay wrote:She has misjudged as did Cameron, Corbin will win by a landslide this time because it will be a second referendum not party politics like the last time. Most Labour seats are safe seats so they need to gain less than May does for a strong mandate.

Who would have thought Trump for President and now Corbin for Prime Minister!
Delicious though that would be, I fear Jeremy is viewed as too much of a chump to pull it off.

But..as they say....six weeks is a long time in politics.

Does Theresa have a private email we can hack? Has Boris a bevy of mistresses in Moscow?

Thought not :a51:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

In any case, i must withdraw for now, the greatest game in the history of Leicester City Football Club is on the horizon and i have to go through my pre match preparations.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Im not sure June 8th gives us enough time to construct all the 20 foot by 20 foot ballot papers needed to fit all the info on so that we avoid another catastrophe ala Brexit when we voted for something "that wasnt on the ballot paper" 8)
The word you're looking for is "Manifesto".

A document setting out the governments proposed policies etc....from which they depart at their peril.

The Referendum was preceded by documents from both camps which would disgrace the inside of a Christmas cracker....worthy prognostications based on...well....dodgy forecasts and much navel-gazing.
This was not a general election, it was not fought by political parties.

It was based on one question leave or remain.

End of.

My dear Newcastle, you have been thrashed on this subject so many times by Horus and myself that as a gentleman and someone who likes you i cant continue to debate you on this element of the argument anymore.

You need taking out of the ring on this for your own good.
And the ambiguity of "leave or remain" has been the cause of all the arguments since last June!
My dear Newcastle, you have been thrashed on this subject so many times by Horus and myself
Mmmmm...being savaged by dead sheep would worry me more :a8:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Well on this subject i fear the Sheep would do just that.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Bombay wrote:She has misjudged as did Cameron, Corbin will win by a landslide this time because it will be a second referendum not party politics like the last time. Most Labour seats are safe seats so they need to gain less than May does for a strong mandate.

Bombay, if you are so sure about Corbin how about a little wager? if you win I will pay double for every meal I have in your restaurant, if you lose I eat for free? :up
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:

Bombay, if you are so sure about Corbin how about a little wager? if you win I will pay double for every meal I have in your restaurant, if you lose I eat for free? :up
Il have a piece of that action!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:In any case, i must withdraw for now, the greatest game in the history of Leicester City Football Club is on the horizon and i have to go through my pre match preparations.
I bet you look delightful in a tutu, waving pompoms :a32:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
Horus wrote:

Il have a piece of that action!
\

Typical Brexiteers....always wanting everything for nothing :urm:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Yep - anyone skilled in negotiation knows that, that is the standard starting point.
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:

No, I would feel guilty taking your money. :wi
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bombay wrote:
Horus wrote:

No, I would feel guilty taking your money. :wi
No, no, really, a bet is a bet, no need to feel guilty!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Typical Brexiteers....always wanting everything for nothing :urm:
Zooropa wrote:Yep - anyone skilled in negotiation knows that, that is the standard starting point.
With May, it's also her finishing point and I fear she's going to be terribly disappointed when she gets F-all out of Brusells.

Still...WTO terms can't be that bad...can they? :a55:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Id take WTO over a bad deal.

But hey, i actually believe in my country and its people.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:Id take WTO over a bad deal.

But hey, i actually believe in my country and its people.
I think I may have given up on that about the same time as Father Christmas and God.

I hope you're right....for your sake and the sake of anyone else with a business or life in UK.

Personally..... I'm indifferent (although a further fall in sterling would not be good news for me)
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Personally..... I'm indifferent (although a further fall in sterling would not be good news for me)
You'll be pleased then to see that it rose against the $ on news of the forthcomming election ;) Baa, Baa,
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
You'll be pleased then to see that it rose against the $ on news of the forthcomming election ;) Baa, Baa,
Taking short term movements to new heights...or perhaps depths :lol:

It's fallen sharply since the Referendum and I expect it will fall further when we finally quit EU.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

The IMF also revised Britain's growth forecast to 2.0 percent for 2017, up a half percentage point from January.

Obstfeld said an anticipated pullback in consumer spending after last year's UK vote to leave the European Union had so far failed to materialise. He added that uncertainty over Britain's snap elections announced on Tuesday would not necessarily change the outlook, but a clear mandate from the British people could help Brexit negotiations.
Baa, Baa
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Maurice Obstfeld, the IMF’s chief economist said the IMF stuck by its longer term forecast that Brexit would “reduce potential output and therefore be negative” for the UK economy.

An EU exit would also have “definite transition costs” for Britain after decades as a member of the bloc, he said.

“To the extent that a hard Brexit restricts the flow of labour [the economy will slow]; we have to recognise that one of the elements driving British growth has been an increasing labour supply”, said Mr Obstfeld