UK General Election

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Re: UK General Election

Post by Bombay »

Did Theresa May call the general election to preempt by-elections that may have arisen over allegations of massive Tory election fraud in 2015 against possibly 12 to 20 MPs ?

Exclusive: CPS considering charges against over 30 people including Tory MPs over expenses

Criminal charges against more than 30 people, including a raft of Conservative MPs and their agents, are being considered by the Crown Prosecution Service over election expenses at the last general election, Channel 4 News can reveal

https://www.channel4.com/news/exclusive ... r-expenses

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I dont think the Tories would be on their own when it comes to election fraud, it has been going on in mainly ethnic Labour run areas of the UK for years.
Here are just a few examples, you are opening a real can of worms when it comes to comparing Conservative versus Labour voting fraud. 8)
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/el ... te-5602527
http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/ ... ndon-Mayor
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... fraud.html
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politic ... fraud.html
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I dont think the Tories would be on their own when it comes to election fraud, it has been going on in mainly ethnic Labour run areas of the UK for years.
My own borough of Tower Hamlets being a prime example!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

My views on politicians are well know, I consider them all to be as bad as each other.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There is a downside to this snap election, Nick Clegg and Vince Cable have decided to stand for election again! how much worse can it get? :sd
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I really don't follow politics but I do follow people, sometimes.
Jeremy Corbyn has been my MP for over 30 years and like it or not, he has more *integrity than the rest
of them all put together.

So, if we have a postal vote and I'm here rather than there, I'll be voting for the man once again.
At least I know what I'm getting.... 8)

*Integrity:
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.
"a gentleman of complete integrity"
synonyms: honesty, uprightness, probity, rectitude, honour, honourableness,
upstandingness, good character, principle(s), ethics, morals, righteousness, morality,
nobility, high-mindedness, right-mindedness, noble-mindedness, virtue, decency,
fairness, scrupulousness, sincerity, truthfulness, trustworthiness....

Ps: 'A slap across the face ?...."That's just incase Integrity eludes you!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

:lol: The only ones getting a slap across the face will be the people voting for Corbin.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

*Integrity:
upstandingness, good character, principle(s), ethics, morals, righteousness, morality,
You want a politician, let alone a PM, with integrity? Spare me !!

A mythical beast I'm afraid :lol:

Choose a used car salesman. At least you know they're a crook and don't pretend to be otherwise :ct

Even if you believe Jeremy to be a decent sort of cove, kind to animals, loves his mother etc etc. you have to admit he's batsh*t crazy to have agreed to an early election at which his party may be massacred . Did he have a choice? Of course he did! It would certainly have wiped that smug smile off Theresa's face.

But then, people with integrity do like to go down with their ships :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Who2 wrote:I really don't follow politics but I do follow people, sometimes.
Jeremy Corbyn has been my MP for over 30 years and like it or not, he has more *integrity than the rest
of them all put together.

So, if we have a postal vote and I'm here rather than there, I'll be voting for the man once again.
At least I know what I'm getting.... 8)

*Integrity:

Ps: 'A slap across the face ?...."That's just incase Integrity eludes you!
More integrity?

Oh yeah like being the most Eurosceptic MP in the last thirty years so much so that he made Farage look like Clegg.

Right up to the moment it really mattered and then he switched sides to save his poltical skin.

Integrity, yeah right, dont make me laff.
Last edited by Zooropa on Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
*Integrity:
You want a politician, let alone a PM, with integrity? Spare me !!

A mythical beast I'm afraid :lol:

Choose a used car salesman. At least you know they're a crook and don't pretend to be otherwise :ct

Even if you believe Jeremy to be a decent sort of cove, kind to animals, loves his mother etc etc. you have to admit he's batsh*t crazy to have agreed to an early election at which his party may be massacred . Did he have a choice? Of course he did! It would certainly have wiped that smug smile off Theresa's face.

But then, people with integrity do like to go down with their ships :lol:
I dont agree here, he didnt have a choice, firstly he had been banging on about being on a "war footing" for ages - lol he wouldnt know a war if it came up to him and detonated itself in a suicide bomb plot. Secondly, he doesnt have enough MP's to block the vote today, let alone enough MP's who dont want to use this as an opportunity to get rid of him.

Theresa is calling the shots here.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

As Zooropa says here, it is the ideal opportunity for the party to be rid of Corbin. They know that they will lose the next election with him in charge, so they are reckoning on bringing that to a head a couple of years earlier. Many Labour MP's are resigned to getting thrashed this time around, but will be pleased to get a change of leader as a result and go into the next one with a chance of winning.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm really, really trying to show a glimmer of interest in this new election, but sadly I can't. But looking on the bright side, knowing from friends how abysmal the UK is now, at least it will keep the natives happy, full with expectations of things getting better now instead of having to wait over two years as it was. Not. As one old lady interviewed by the BBC stated, she not having heard of the discussion. ''Oh, for gods sake, not another one. Are they having a laugh?'' I heard something in the region of the winners [she] stopping immigration? Well, if so, that will not make the other natives too happy, so more riots. No one expected Trump to win, but he did. So do not rule out Jeremy yet. The British public are a fickle lot, especially when they are told not to do something, they are then determined to do just the opposite then, like the leave vote, regret it and demand another vote or say the first was fixed.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:As Zooropa says here, it is the ideal opportunity for the party to be rid of Corbin. They know that they will lose the next election with him in charge, so they are reckoning on bringing that to a head a couple of years earlier. Many Labour MP's are resigned to getting thrashed this time around, but will be pleased to get a change of leader as a result and go into the next one with a chance of winning.
My comment re Corbyn and the election vote was somewhat tongue in cheek :urm:

Labour as a whole do have enough votes to defeat the early election motion .

I'm not sure a defeat at the next election will force a change in leadership of the Labour Party...if the party membership stick with him (as they have in the past), he only needs 15% of the Labour MPs to see him continue.

Time to give Corbyn his "y" back Horus. He could be gracing the opposition front bench long after you're pushing up daisies :lol:

And he does have that magic quality.....integrity ;)
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Horus wrote:As Zooropa says here, it is the ideal opportunity for the party to be rid of Corbin. They know that they will lose the next election with him in charge, so they are reckoning on bringing that to a head a couple of years earlier. Many Labour MP's are resigned to getting thrashed this time around, but will be pleased to get a change of leader as a result and go into the next one with a chance of winning.
They don't want rid of him he was just re reelected with a large majority something a Tory leader can only dream of and does not require the efforts of a load of Judas's to get elected leader of a party.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

The labour party may support Corbyn but the same can not be said of the labour MP (only 40 out of 212 supported him in the confidence vote last year). With this early election they will only have to wait 5 years to rebuild under a new leader as opposed to 8 years if the election was held on schedule.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
My comment re Corbyn and the election vote was somewhat tongue in cheek :urm:

Labour as a whole do have enough votes to defeat the early election motion .

Erm, no they dont! not practically, as i said, too many want rid of him for there to be any meaningful chance. As a whole yes, but its not going to happen.

I'm not sure a defeat at the next election will force a change in leadership of the Labour Party...if the party membership stick with him (as they have in the past), he only needs 15% of the Labour MPs to see him continue.

Whist tecnically possible its pratically impossible. He would be even more risible that he is now but i fully expect him to try to hang on - like all good dictators 8)

Time to give Corbyn his "y" back Horus. He could be gracing the opposition front bench long after you're pushing up daisies :lol:

And he does have that magic quality.....integrity ;)
NO HE DOES NOT!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Bombay wrote:
They don't want rid of him he was just re reelected with a large majority something a Tory leader can only dream of and does not require the efforts of a load of Judas's to get elected leader of a party.
There are no degrees of winning, you either get enough votes and win or you dont and lose.

No party is ever elected that is so apposed to its leader, the activists are irrelevant when it comes to an election.

He has to have the support of his parlimentary party and he doesnt.

The man cant fully fill his shadow cabinet for heavens sake, hows he going to fill a government one?

His cronies can only do so many jobs....

Not sure the electorate has any interest in voting for a quasi communist, terrorist supporting, royal family hating 5th columnist either......
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

To be honest I cannot even be bothered to spell his name correctly, as to his integrity well I agree he does stick with his principles, it is just a pity no one else holds similar ones such as opposing the removal of hate preachers from this country. As for him being elected with a large majority, rubbish! He was elected by all the left wing Momentum agitators that biased the leadership election by swamping the membership with £3 voters, they are about as representative of a typical Labour voter as Teresa May is. They are so out of touch with the ordinary man in the street that it is incredible that he is still leader, but like I said it is only the Momentum group that is wagging the labour dogs tail and it won’t last. Hardly any of his own MP’s support him and when Labour gets hammered at the next general election they will demand a change, he is yesterdays man. Brian has hit the nail on the head, as this gives labour a shorter period out in the wilderness as prior to this snap election they would be stuck with him for 7 to 8 more years to come. Once he is demolished at the polls the party then has enough time (4 years) to elbow him aside before the next one is called.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Under our parliamentary system, voters at a general election are focused on their local candidates, and the parties they represent. There's no evidence I've seen that the PM who would arise from any result has any bearing on voters' decisions.

The choice of Labour leader is down to Labour Party members using a system called One Member One Vote (OMOV). This means candidates will be elected by members and registered and affiliated supporters – each has a maximum of one vote. This system has given Corbyn a substantial majority both before and after the Referendum. There's no evidence I've seen that this is likely to change.

Whether Corbyn remains as Labour leader will be solely down to Corbyn himself.

And, as I said previously, he is batsh*t crazy :lol:
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Oh well, it might just drag you lot away from Britain's got talent or whatever sh*t it is you watch.
I note a certain lack & understanding of integrity abound.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.