Egypt vows crackdown on tourist harassers

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Egypt vows crackdown on tourist harassers

Post by DJKeefy »

Talking with some Egyptian friends (in Luxor) they say its not just tourists, Egyptians are abusing other Egyptians, worse than it has ever been in the past, bad language, sexual abuse, thieving, fights and even killings, they say many Egyptians are fed up with life in Egypt, not having any money, goods and food doubling in price but wages staying the same, prospects of getting married are zero, this is what they believe is making the Egyptians the way they are, many are getting desperate. Sad! :(

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

John Landon wrote:Crackdown on tourist harassers ?

Now there's a prime example of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted... And given enough time to circumnavigate the Earth and die of old age...

Hassle ? You Pussies, :ks

I call it "assertiveness training"..... 8)
A somewhat flippant attitude in my opinion. Not everyone has skin of your thickness JL, ive witnessed some tourists (especially women without male accompaniment) get very upset at persistent harassment.

On my last cruise two ladies of what I would estimate to be late fifties/early sixties had had a lifelong ambition to visit Egypt, the harassment they experienced even while being part of a tour was enough to confine them to their hotel for the second week.

They said they would never return.

Its not good, and a bad experience gets much more publicity than a good one.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Even my hotel managed to **** me off tonight and I thought id never ever criticise this place.

I paid for my meal at the Italian tonight a bill that came to 320 LE by giving 400 LE.

Now I fully intended to give the change as a tip which would have been 25% of the bill.

They didn't even bother to bring me my change or the receipt to say I had paid which I wanted to make sure my meal was not charged to my room.

Even when I asked for the bill I didn't get my change just a screwed up copy of the bill obviously fished out of the bin. This is the third time this holiday (once in a café and once in a shop) that the giving of change appeared to be optional - their option not mine!

I mean, seriously, they didn't even bother to use the "we have no change excuse".

This is another example of something that's going to put off new tourists from returning.

Its just plain rude.

Even at ticket booths there is normally a pregnant pause by the person to see if you are going to insist on your change, I had one ask me "do you want change"? as if its somehow unusual or out of order to do so!
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

DJKeefy wrote:Talking with some Egyptian friends (in Luxor) they say its not just tourists, Egyptians are abusing other Egyptians, worse than it has ever been in the past, bad language, sexual abuse, thieving, fights and even killings, they say many Egyptians are fed up with life in Egypt, not having any money, goods and food doubling in price but wages staying the same, prospects of getting married are zero, this is what they believe is making the Egyptians the way they are, many are getting desperate. Sad! :(
At least with them not being able to marry there will be few babies born - every cloud has a silver lining.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:Even my hotel managed to **** me off tonight and I thought id never ever criticise this place.

I paid for my meal at the Italian tonight a bill that came to 320 LE by giving 400 LE.

Now I fully intended to give the change as a tip which would have been 25% of the bill.

They didn't even bother to bring me my change or the receipt to say I had paid which I wanted to make sure my meal was not charged to my room.

Even when I asked for the bill I didn't get my change just a screwed up copy of the bill obviously fished out of the bin. This is the third time this holiday (once in a café and once in a shop) that the giving of change appeared to be optional - their option not mine!

I mean, seriously, they didn't even bother to use the "we have no change excuse".

This is another example of something that's going to put off new tourists from returning.

Its just plain rude.

Even at ticket booths there is normally a pregnant pause by the person to see if you are going to insist on your change, I had one ask me "do you want change"? as if its somehow unusual or out of order to do so!
You should have called for the restaurant manager and politely explained that it is good business practice (not to say polite) to tender change with the bill, allowing the guest to decide what, and how much, to give by way of tip.

I expect the manager would be mortified to hear what happened. If he isn't....he shouldn't be in that job.

If people don't make an issue or complain when this sort of thing happens, the staff/hotel will never learn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Zooropa wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:15+ years ago the police used to wack the Egyptians with a stick if they saw them just trying to speak to a foreigner, I hope they don't start doing that again :td
I think somewhere in the middle would be the answer. My first night here in Luxor and I had left the hotel and crossed the road, my son and I were followed for over 100 yards by a caleche driver, I must have declined his services a dozen times, he ignored me and continued to hassle my son, in the end I got between him and my son and raised my hand and said "no thankyou" he responded by saying "I am not a terrorist" before shouting a triad of what I suspect was abuse in Arabic.

Not sure how declining someone's services is tantamount to me considering them a terrorist. If that's the case then I think most Egyptians are terrorists.

A selection of other "comments" ive had this week:

"Leave my country"

"This is my country"

"Why you angry, answer me"!

"Fu**ker"

Only been here since Monday!
But to be fair, this was when I and her was accompanying you. I just forgot whose company I was in. :lol:
Zooropa wrote:Even my hotel managed to **** me off tonight and I thought id never ever criticise this place.

Its just plain rude.

At least its better than nearly getting kicked out of the hotel, as I think your lad was, after my few short words with the security knob at the lifts. They should of rolled out the red carpet for you in that restaurant, as from what I observed, you are a good tipper and word soon gets round. Maybe that was the problem after the meal, they just expected you to say keep the change so thought that they would save you the trouble of offering it. :lol: :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:

Its just plain rude.

You should have called for the restaurant manager and politely explained that it is good business practice (not to say polite) to tender change with the bill, allowing the guest to decide what, and how much, to give by way of tip.

I expect the manager would be mortified to hear what happened. If he isn't....he shouldn't be in that job.

If people don't make an issue or complain when this sort of thing happens, the staff/hotel will never learn.
Oh I did make an issue of it and it was sorted but it should not have happened.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

they just expected you to say keep the change so thought that they would save you the trouble of offering it
That's quite possible...as I've encountered it myself on more than one occasion!

Particularly in places I go to regularly.

However....if in the mood, and if I have time, I have a quiet word with the waiter and suggest that he should not presume on my generosity....regular though it is....lest it cease - permanently :evil:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:
newcastle wrote:

Its just plain rude.

Oh I did make an issue of it and it was sorted but it should not have happened.
Good! Not like you to be backward in coming forward :lol: Certainly, somewhere like the Nile Palace should know better.
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

Whilst its possible it was expected I would be surprised as this is the first time ive eaten a meal in the hotel save a snack at the pool bar in many years of coming here.

I know a good eatery across the road ;)

My son (and me to an extent) were so bushed after our sight seeing yesterday and the fact that Leicester City were playing we didn't leave the hotel last night, wanted to try the Nubian but it was closed so we chose the Italian.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:Whilst its possible it was expected I would be surprised as this is the first time ive eaten a meal in the hotel save a snack at the pool bar in many years of coming here.

I know a good eatery across the road ;)

My son (and me to an extent) were so bushed after our sight seeing yesterday and the fact that Leicester City were playing we didn't leave the hotel last night, wanted to try the Nubian but it was closed so we chose the Italian.
I hope you're going to give us a glimpse of what you saw, how it was, what your son made of it etc. etc. :)
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I will when I get home as I have to crop the file size of the pictures.

My sons insistence of a 9am start didn't help (as I told him it wouldn't) as we were caught in the high heat of the day - mad dogs and Englishmen and all that!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Zooropa wrote:I will when I get home as I have to crop the file size of the pictures.

My sons insistence of a 9am start didn't help (as I told him it wouldn't) as we were caught in the high heat of the day - mad dogs and Englishmen and all that!
We afficionados are off at 6am...and back for breakfast around 9am. Pool all day...then out again - maybe - after 4pm.

Daytime temps at this time of year are just too too grim :wi
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:I will when I get home as I have to crop the file size of the pictures.

We afficionados are off at 6am...and back for breakfast around 9am. Pool all day...then out again - maybe - after 4pm.

Daytime temps at this time of year are just too too grim :wi
A fact my son now realises!
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

The not giving back change happened to me in Morocco in Feb - gave 15 MAD for an 11MAD coffee - waited and waited had another fag or two - the manager came over - not sure if he just wanted me to vacate the table so other customers could sit down or if he really meant it when he said could he help with anything. Told him I was still waiting for my change he went and spoke to the waiter (slapped him on the back of his head) - came back and insisted I take the 15 MAD back. Let's see what happens next week when I go back.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Bearded Brian wrote:The not giving back change happened to me in Morocco in Feb - gave 15 MAD for an 11MAD coffee - waited and waited had another fag or two - the manager came over - not sure if he just wanted me to vacate the table so other customers could sit down or if he really meant it when he said could he help with anything. Told him I was still waiting for my change he went and spoke to the waiter (slapped him on the back of his head) - came back and insisted I take the 15 MAD back. Let's see what happens next week when I go back.
Who knows.

But if that waiter's still there, I would be wary about ordering a coffee from him....unless you're in a position to oversee its preparation :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
Bearded Brian wrote:The not giving back change happened to me in Morocco in Feb - gave 15 MAD for an 11MAD coffee - waited and waited had another fag or two - the manager came over - not sure if he just wanted me to vacate the table so other customers could sit down or if he really meant it when he said could he help with anything. Told him I was still waiting for my change he went and spoke to the waiter (slapped him on the back of his head) - came back and insisted I take the 15 MAD back. Let's see what happens next week when I go back.
Who knows.

But if that waiter's still there, I would be wary about ordering a coffee from him....unless you're in a position to oversee its preparation :lol:
And don't order a cappuccino - too easy to hide unpleasantness in!
jcoote

Post by jcoote »

Sorry to read that about the hotel Zooropa. We were there the first week in May, eating and drinking in both the salon bar and the Italian. We were brought our change back every time, but the room attendants were constantly leaving us towel art in the hope of more and more tips. The most annoying piece of art being the one where he made a swan out of the duvet causing me to have to remake the bed. I'm not lazy, but I work at a hospital and make thousands of beds up, so it's a treat to feel pampered. To say I wasn't chuffed is somewhat of an understatement, and no, I didn't leave a tip the next morning!
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

To be honest, as annoyed as I am about it I love this hotel, it wont tarnish my opinion, I didn't get an explanation but got an apology so il leave it at that.

I love the Palace!
Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

I was always told from day one that unless you had a Tourist Guides license or Fellucca Cpt licence in other words proper documentation to be associating with tourists it was not allowed and you could be nicked.

I remember the days when the corniche would clear in seconds as word passed down the police patrol was coming down the road.