Attack on Coptic bus in Minya

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Attack on Coptic bus in Minya

Post by newcastle »

Minya bus shootng: At least 24 Coptic Christians killed and dozens injured in Egypt gun attack
Gunmen open fire on bus travelling to monastery in Minya province

The massacre follows a series of attacks on Coptic Christians in Egypt AP
At least 24 people have been massacred in Egypt and dozens more injured after gunmen opened fire on buses carrying Coptic Christians.

The health ministry said the victims had been on their way to the St Samuel Monastery when they were surrounded by eight to 10 attackers wearing military uniforms.

They were travelling in two buses and a lorry through the region, which is home to a sizeable Christian minority.

There was no immediate claim for the attack in Minya province, which followed Isis bombings that killed at least 46 people at churches in Tanta and Alexandria over Easter.

The terrorist group has targeted Christians and other religious minorities around the world.

Coptic Christians have been kidnapped and beheaded in Libya, while Sufi Muslims have been massacred in Pakistan, Yazidis subject to genocide in Iraq and Shia Muslims massacred across the Middle East.

Muslim leaders have united in opposition to the group's atrocities in Egypt, forcing Isis to issue a lengthy propaganda article seeking to justify the murder of women and children.

It said “belligerent” Christians in Egypt deserve no protection under its version of Sharia law, adding: “With regards to those of the non-combatant women and children from among the belligerent Christians who are killed unintentionally, their blood is waste."

The Easter attacks caused President Abdul Fattah el-Sisi, who himself came to power in a military coup, to declare a new state of emergency.

The Coptic Orthodox Church is the largest Christian denomination in Egypt, making up around 10 per cent of the country's residents, but has suffered successive rounds of persecution by Islamists.

The Egyptian Initiative for Personal Rights recorded 77 sectarian attacks on Copts in Minya province alone between 2011 and 2016, as well as many more incidents of vandalism at churches and schools.

Isis operates an affiliate in central Egypt as well as on the Sinai Peninsula, where militants brought down a Russian passenger plane flying from Sharm el-Sheikh in 2015.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 56906.html

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Attack on Coptic bus in Minya

Post by Horus »

One has to ask just what have these innocent people done to so badly offend these followers of "the religion of peace"? other than to go about their own business 8)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Even through i am sad over what happened in Manchester, 4 day's on and it is still dominating the news worldwide. I doubt the Egyptians will get 1% of that coverage :(

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I take your point Keefy, but Manchester is Manchester and we are mainly concerned as to what is happening in our own country and Europe in general and although they have our sympathy it is up to Egyptians to mourn their own dead and shout out about the atrocity that was committed against innocent people. Maybe the big distinction is that whereas we are shocked and appalled by such an act, the majority of Egyptians are not that concerned due to the religious divide that exists.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Another horrific slaughter of the innocent, in a week that has seen far too many deaths of innocent men, women and particularly children.

If those murdered were truly Christians then they will be in Paradise with their Lord.
If those who murdered them believe they have committed and act that will help get them in to paradise, they are sorely wrong.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:I take your point Keefy, but Manchester is Manchester and we are mainly concerned as to what is happening in our own country and Europe in general and although they have our sympathy it is up to Egyptians to mourn their own dead and shout out about the atrocity that was committed against innocent people. Maybe the big distinction is that whereas we are shocked and appalled by such an act, the majority of Egyptians are not that concerned due to the religious divide that exists.
You've spent a lot of time talking to Egyptians today?

You watch Egyptian TV channels...or read Arabic newspapers?

You can read Egyptian minds from a distance of 2000 miles?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Sally Nabil, although still quite young and is prity much out of her depth when it comes to political 'chess' in Egypt, however today in her report from there regarding this incident for B.B.C. World News, she referred to it in what is regarded as general Egyptian government press release as this being an 'accident', ........however,

This dear lady made it quite clear that although this incident occurred away from any town, it took THREE HOURS for the police to arrive on the scene,.........mi thinks this story may have more mileage in it than we initially think, even though on its own standing today, is so horrific.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Egyptian state Islamic authority cancels Ramadan celebration following attack on Copts in Minya
Ahram Online , Friday 26 May 2017

Dar Al-Iftaa, the Egyptian state body responsible for issuing Islamic edicts, has cancelled the celebrations scheduled on Friday to mark the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan.
The grand mufti, Shawqi Allam, who heads Dar Al-Iftaa, has issued a statement condemning the attack.

Gunmen attacked vehicles carrying Coptic Christians on their way to Saint Samuel’s Monastery in Minya on Friday, killing 28 people and injuring 25, according to the latest toll.

Dar Al-Iftaa organises a yearly committee to observe the appearance of the crescent moon, announcing the start of the new lunar month of Ramadan.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... dan-c.aspx
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
Horus wrote:I take your point Keefy, but Manchester is Manchester and we are mainly concerned as to what is happening in our own country and Europe in general and although they have our sympathy it is up to Egyptians to mourn their own dead and shout out about the atrocity that was committed against innocent people. Maybe the big distinction is that whereas we are shocked and appalled by such an act, the majority of Egyptians are not that concerned due to the religious divide that exists.
You've spent a lot of time talking to Egyptians today?

You watch Egyptian TV channels...or read Arabic newspapers?

You can read Egyptian minds from a distance of 2000 miles?
YES! in the same way that you can pontificate on things affecting the UK 8)
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Unfortunately there is a big religious divide in Egypt, very similar to UK. So until these divides are closed these things will happen. The only thing is the UK political system is not dictated to by religion, I have always believed that mixing politics with religion can be a time bomb waiting to explode.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Egyptian state Islamic authority cancels Ramadan celebration following attack on Copts in Minya

Dar Al-Iftaa, the Egyptian state body responsible for issuing Islamic edicts, has cancelled the celebrations scheduled on Friday to mark the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan.
The grand mufti, Shawqi Allam, who heads Dar Al-Iftaa, has issued a statement condemning the attack.

Gunmen attacked vehicles carrying Coptic Christians on their way to Saint Samuel’s Monastery in Minya on Friday, killing 28 people and injuring 25, according to the latest toll.

Dar Al-Iftaa organises a yearly committee to observe the appearance of the crescent moon, announcing the start of the new lunar month of Ramadan.

I suspect, Hepzibah, that posts like that will be a 'red rag to the bull' as far as the likes of Horus are concerned.

"Pathetic, inadequate response! CANCELLING A ******* CELEBRATION!! Where's the outpouring of public horror...the 24/7 media coverage, the endless analysis by pundits. WHERE ARE THE FLOWERS!!!"

I'm afraid you've probably fed into his view of Egyptians as an "uncaring", backward society, devoid of the emotions which only "superior" people like him can express adequately.

And, despite my best efforts, he still cannot distinguish between islam and the ideology of ISIS. Deliberate obtuseness in order to score cheap points - "religion of peace" seems to be his mot du jour - is not an attractive trait.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The response of the Egyptian State (NOT, I emphasise, Egyptian muslims generally) to this and other attacks on Copts is, so far, woefully inadequate.

It's like a ghastly mirror-image of the UK situation....where a perceived inadequate response fosters a negative reaction from one part of the community towards another. Except the Coptic community in Egypt has a lot more reason to be outraged than the non-muslim community of the UK, as far as official State action (or rather inaction) is concerned

The Egyptian State needs to take the protection of Coptic communities much more seriously.

A few retards may respond by attacking mosques.

Precisely what ISIS wants.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

One of the problems here when things like Manchester happen, a lot of Muslims will not tolerate it being suggested that it was carried out by a/some Muslims. When I told my friend what had happened in Manchester the following day, she asked why was it all ways being blamed on Muslims. And why do I keep saying it was. They seem to think that only good ones exist. When I get the chance to talk to her and tell her of this latest Coptic massacre, she will say, as is usual, that it was carried out by people that are pretending to be Muslim to get them all a bad name. And this is not only her that thinks this. As the saying goes, you can lead the horse to water...
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:One of the problems here when things like Manchester happen, a lot of Muslims will not tolerate it being suggested that it was carried out by a/some Muslims. When I told my friend what had happened in Manchester the following day, she asked why was it all ways being blamed on Muslims. And why do I keep saying it was. They seem to think that only good ones exist. When I get the chance to talk to her and tell her of this latest Coptic massacre, she will say, as is usual, that it was carried out by people that are pretending to be Muslim to get them all a bad name. And this is not only her that thinks this. As the saying goes, you can lead the horse to water...
It's semantics Dusak.

To the typical muslim, anyone acting in contradiction their interpretation of the Quran cannot , by definition, be a true muslim. Suicide is not permitted in generally held opinion, ergo suicide bombers can't be muslims. They genuinely can't seem to get their minds around the fact that the followers of Mohammed come in all shapes and sizes. That the Quran is open to different interpretations and the thousands of Hadiths, some of dubious authenticity, have been argued over for centuries

ISIS carry it to the extreme...happily killing anyone who doesn't subscribe to their extremely narrow interpretation of the religion.

There are great dangers in lumping all muslims into one homogeneous group.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Egyptian state Islamic authority cancels Ramadan celebration following attack on Copts in Minya

I suspect, Hepzibah, that posts like that will be a 'red rag to the bull' as far as the likes of Horus are concerned.

You suspect? have I commented on this post from Hepzi?
"Pathetic, inadequate response! CANCELLING A ******* CELEBRATION!! Where's the outpouring of public horror...the 24/7 media coverage, the endless analysis by pundits. WHERE ARE THE FLOWERS!!!"
Seems to me that the only person having a rant is YOU, now you are even making up phrases and suppositions and ascribing them to me, you really have lost the plot

I'm afraid you've probably fed into his view of Egyptians as an "uncaring", backward society, devoid of the emotions which only "superior" people like him can express adequately.
Apart from the inaccuracy of how you think I see Egyptians in general, (another attempt at putting words in my mouth) the biggest laugh came when you accused me of being ‘superior’ you must be the most self opinionated poster on here and your attempts to be superior to everyone else is a hallmark of any of your replies, you obviously DO consider yourself as being superior. I see you couldn't wait to correct Dusak’s understanding of what his close friends and other acquaintances were saying to him regarding their own beliefs, but once again you know better than he does, yours must be the final word.

And, despite my best efforts, he still cannot distinguish between islam and the ideology of ISIS. Deliberate obtuseness in order to score cheap points - "religion of peace" seems to be his mot du jour - is not an attractive trait.
"Despite my best efforts" In Newcastle speak this should be read as “I have told him how the Islamic world is, how dare he question my authority on this matter”
I don’t recall having used the phrase “religion of peace” on more than maybe one occasion, it is certainly not my ‘word of the day’ as you put it. Oops! I should have sprinkled that reply with some schoolboy French to try and impress the peasants, how about I prefix any reference to you with “C'était aussi un petit con prétentieux.”
Are you on something Newcastle? Other than being your usual supercilious and self opinionated self, you proceed to copy an item posted by Hepzi that I have not even commented on, then without any justification you ascribe all sorts of made up rantings and abuse to me, a trait that seems to run through your replies, you just make things up “no doubt Horus would etc.” it is a classic technique to try and denigrate any opposition to the thoughts of Chairman Newcastle. Maybe as a result of failing to score a victory over the rest of us this has incensed you so much that your fevered brain makes up false words then adds them to something unrelated in an attempt to ridicule me in some way. No doubt you are so used to giving us all your definitive opinion on everything you chance across on here that the very thought of others, especially myself in challenging your views has ruffled your feathers beyond your ability to cope and then you have the temerity to accuse me of having a rant. I suggest that you go and lie down in a darkened room and look up the word hypocrite. 8)