Doctors in Egypt open surgical-themed restaurant

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Doctors in Egypt open surgical-themed restaurant

Post by DJKeefy »

A group of doctors in Egypt have taken their medical skills outside of the operating room, and into the kitchen.

United by a love for food, more than ten full-time doctors decided to pool their resources and invest in a fast-food restaurant, which offers high quality food to local residents in Damanhour, a city in Egypt’s north.

Mostafa Basiouny and his fellow founders were trying to fill a gap in the market which they say is riddled with restaurants selling unsafe food, with many food outlets not following proper hygienic procedures.

“The idea is simple. First of all, investment, especially into the food industry, is currently a very good investment.
Secondly, we have invested in a field which is close to our field, which is medicine. The food industry is also for example under the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Health, so we haven’t really gone far,” he said.

So, they decided to use their knowledge to create a menu that was affordable, of a high quality, and prepared in a kitchen with sterilised utensils.

The group of doctors are trying to fill a gap in the market which they say is riddled with restaurants selling unsafe food, with many food outlets not following proper hygienic procedures.

“This is not a negative thing; it is a very positive thing because our studies have helped us research, which reflects on how well cooked the food is and the quality of the herbs, and it reflects on the wrapping and how the sandwich leaves the kitchen,” said co-owner and chef, Mohamed Shashb.

The kitchen was modelled on an operating theatre, and the owners have incorporated medical terms into the names of the dishes.

Source: http://www.africanews.com/2017/08/04/do ... estaurant/

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Doctors in Egypt open surgical-themed restaurant

Post by Horus »

Gives new meaning to 'liver' & onions or steak & 'kidney' pie :sk
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A group of doctors in Egypt have taken their medical skills outside of the operating room, and into the kitchen.
Why does that worry me? :urm:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

How do you know if there is a Doctor at a party ?
Don't worry, they will soon let you know.... :cg

same applies for Vegan's and Pilots.... :ct
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The group of doctors are trying to fill a gap in the market which they say is riddled with restaurants selling unsafe food, with many food outlets not following proper hygienic procedures.
They should feel like they're in a familiar environment then. :urm:
The kitchen was modelled on an operating theatre, and the owners have incorporated medical terms into the names of the dishes
Not to mention the equipment.

Soup will be served in "bowels".

To tackle your main course, pick up your "scalpel and forceps".

Spaghetti and meat "testes".....lovely. :eat Washed down with a "phial" of chilled "ethanol". :wi

P.S. Diners in a hurry can be fed intravenously . Just ask your nurse waiter
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

And if its busy you can sit in the waiting room until an operating table becomes vacant
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

:tk Wonder if they'll be serving black puddings.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

so what has happened to the Food Standards and Hygiene authorities in Egypt, this report seems to say they don't have such an authority.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Damanhour/Damanhur is a low income farming city of 200,000 so whatever views you may have on their medical skills their business skills must be in question for them to set up a restaurant in a low income city and no tourists (domestic or international).

The doctors statement "investment, especially into the food industry, is currently a very good investment." rather proves the point they have no business sense and raises questions about their grip on reality or any knowledge of the financial pressures on average Egyptians.

Might work for a week or two as a novelty theme restaurant in one or two upper class gated and guarded areas of Cairo but would hazard the guess that rich Cairenes are staying home at night at the moment and definitely not driving a 100 k's to have dinner in a delta rural town.

Its all starting to look like the last days of Marie Antionette.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Hafiz wrote: Its all starting to look like the last days of Marie Antionette.
Funny you should this Hafiz, I've been looking at 'the books', both financial and domestic, BUT, there is something very much wrong. I will not go as far to say that your time scale here is correct,........but I certainly believe that the Tennis Court Oath has most certainly been signed,...............then again as I have written on here many times, I am yet to taste the 'whiff of grapeshot'.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

At first sight I'd agree with Hafiz that the doctors should pay a visit to one of their colleagues in psychiatry. However, on further investigation, it transpires that they are not insanely attempting a Michelin-starred enterprise in some backwater but rather adopting a hygienic approach to a classic Egyptian dish.

The enterprise involves only one item on the menu...kebda (liver). The mention of sandwiches may mean it's served in a bread roll.

http://news.bounce.ng/Content/shocking- ... o-20170804

It's an extremely popular street food.

Personally, I'd rather eat dog poo.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

You might be right, but one thing to keep an eye on is food prices. It was the final nail in the Bourbon coffin. So I'd be looking at the forward international prices for grain etc for a forecast of the weather ahead.

On the other hand the alternatives are so disorganized, self serving, frightened, leaderless, plagued with infighting and lacking mass support that current arrangements might get through the rocky next few years. In addition the alternatives don't seem to have an alternative program and the 'terrorist threat' gives people an incentive to stay with what they have.

On a positive note, the usually clever Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says he is going to invest $US800 million in tourism (Red Sea and, oddly, North Coast). Even if the money never arrives the press of the promise might give some others the confidence to invest (hopefully in more than tourism) which might create jobs in a few years time. Significantly, those bargain hunters - Chinese and Indians - haven't made too many investment commitments to date or where they have its been low grade jobs in remote free trade zones, 10 year tax holidays, free infrastructure and land etc which doesn't deliver much for Egypt - except press releases with lots of zeros. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-egypt ... AN0SY?il=0
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Roman hierarchy kept the mob at bay with bread & circuses and the current regime is adept at doing the same. For "circuses" read "grandiose projects" promising much, but delivering....well...we'll see.

In the meantime, the bogeymen of "insurgents" and "foreign conspirators" divert the masses from the sheer incompetence which probably lies at the root of their woes.

I may be wrong, but I sense no appetite for widespread and coordinated dissent....and who would you have in place of the current incumbents? There is no effective opposition.

Then again....who predicted January 2011?

My impression is that the bulk of Prince al-Waleed bin Talal's money is going to develop the Four Seasons in Sharm...a Mecca for the very wealthy. Likewise anything left for North Coast development will go to distinctly "upmarket" establishments. All playgrounds for Egyptian elite and wealthy foreign holidaymakers. I can't see it making a hap'orth of difference to the lives of most Egyptians.

I see the venture is with the Talaat Moustafa Group whose real estate arm used to be run by Hisham Talaat Moustafa....sentenced to death for arranging the murder of a girlfriend. Having been pardoned by President Sisi he's now, I assume, able to resume his business affairs and add a degree of "oomph" to the Prince's project.

Kick-starting the economy is, as ever, bogged down with the old problems of cumbersome bureaucracy, leaky legislation and the vested interests of the elite and the military. This $800 million is a good chunk of the government's target of $10 billion foreign investment for this year. For Prince al-Waleed, a grandson of Ibn Saud and owner of, inter alia, The Savoy, the investment is significant....even for a man who, not so long ago, was second only to Bill Gates in terms of wealth.

Anymore billionaires out there with money to burn?
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Hafiz wrote: On a positive note, the usually clever Prince Alwaleed bin Talal says he is going to invest $US800 million in tourism
This above amount is nothing when you compare it with recent massive deals signed with Egypt, that gets little news. In fact such deals never welcome a press release. For example British Petroleum (BP) recently signed contracts, (and I don't mean a memorandum of understanding) for just over $12 BILLION with Egypt to develop the Alexandrian Gas Field, and a few other projects.

$12 BILLION is a vast amount, but then again the likes of BP do not give a hoot who is the president, even if it's Mickey Mouse, they will get their money's worth. Some may remember when under the previous president, Egypt owed BP $5 BILLION, it said it would not pay,.........it did, in three instalments.

P.S. - No nation has the power to challenge a cartel known as The Seven Sisters.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

." For example British Petroleum (BP) recently signed contracts,..."

Well...if you call March 2015 recent.

It's not that it didn't hit the news - it was loudly trumpeted at the time. But memories fade.

The deal was originally mooted in 2010 but the political upheaval since then gave BP pause for thought. Still...it's now going ahead which is an expression that BP, for one, doesn't anticipate any major disturbance in the social fabric. Mickey Mouse may well be in charge....but as long as he can feed the masses with bread and "good news", who cares.

The deal is unusual in giving BP & its partner, Russian-owned DEA, 100% of the profits. In fact the main benefit to Egypt is a secure source of oil & gas to generate electricity and underpin it's energy requirements...and it's conceded a great deal to achieve this. But....beggars can't be choosers. Some would say Egypt will be paying for oil & gas it already owns! There might be some employment opportunities for all those guys who used to work in the Gulf and are now driving taxis

Did I say 'Russian-owned DEA'? Let's hope the current frosty relationship between Putin and the West doesn't throw any spokes in that wheel.

I don't know how much Egypt now owes BP....they currently owe over $3 billion to oil & gas companies generally.

Egypt wouldn't be the first economy to come to grief due to an over-reliance on oil & gas....but if the large FDI input from BP et al encourages interest from more diverse industries, so much the better.

P.S. The Seven Sisters lost their influence in the oil world decades ago. Dominance has long since been ceded to the OPEC cartel and state-owned oil & gas companies
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Resources investment like BP isn't without its benefits but also has its down side.

For example the major portion of the money will be to import overseas equipment and services adding to Egypt's bad trade balance.

Secondly the deal involves the usual tax holidays so the benefit to the state might be less than you think.

Third these resource companies worked out transfer pricing generations ago and end up paying very low local taxes on production/profits.

Fourth, the gas market is currently flooded with supply and prices are low which is good for Egyptian consumers (or could be worse) but means that exports revenues aren't going to be like the good old days.

Fifth, most of the jobs will be in the construction phase and most of these will be for expats. I suspect that the operating phase will also be mainly expat jobs, except for the low paying/low skill ones.

These people like BP play hardball and governments cross them at their peril, as we found out in Australia when a PM tried to tax them on the depleted resource. Following a massive PR blitz by the resource companies that PM was removed. and his replacement (a left winger noless) caved in. The capacity of less developed countries to stand up to them is doubtful.

The debt will add to Egypt's already skyrocketing international debt, delay a credit upgrading and its repayment will drain reserves.

Resource based economies have rarely been good at generating jobs because resources rarely create many and its a bit easy for governments to blow the windfall proceeds to keep power rather than do the hard long-term work of creating a skilled workforce which will attract investment in job rich manufacturing or services. In the long term an economy overly reliant on resource exports puts its currency at the mercy of gyrating resource prices/the currency markets and is usually overvalued thus limiting exports of manufacturing etc.

Newcastle, the Prince may have been a one-shot wonder (the Citi Bank deal nearly 30 years ago) - or so Forbes Magazine would have you believe.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryadola ... ock/print/

On another positive note the Prince has been able to put up with the 'Dirty Digger' for nearly 30 years and his miserable dividends/autocratic style/rigged share voting system after which investing in Egypt might look like a picnic. Maybe unlike Toshka, where he was the whale investor, he will see a profit this time.