Windows ten help

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Windows ten help

Post by Dusak »

Got the lap top, not much trouble setting it up, apart from spending 12 hours waiting for a six meg update to finish. But, I miss my left and right clickers. :( So, two questions, how do I save things to my favorite list [I'm on firefox] and how do I corect spelling mistakes. I have left the first correct wrong as an example. I just can not figure out how to get a list up with suggestions as I did by clicking my right clicker on the other lap top. A very confused dusak.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Windows ten help

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have great problems making my office PC stay in English English. It insists on being in American English, which also then gets confusing with some of they keyboard keys.
If you encounter that go to Settings -> Time and Language -> Region & Language -> Add Language.

You should also see ENG on your screen lower toolbar. This will also allow you to set/toggle between languages.

I'm useless with touch screen commands, and even with my laptop I hate to use the touch pad. I use a wireless mouse all the time and it makes my life so much simpler.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Try English International, never had any problems with W10 at all. Just make sure you have a real Windows and not a pirate, everything in Luxor is pirate.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Glad to hear you have received your laptop Dusak, now you can spend many happy hours working out how to use it. Stop you getting bored :lol:
Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Zooropa »

I have a real problem buying a laptop nowadays.

They are not compatible with Windows 7 generally and windows 10, along with its older Windows 8 is the anti Christ.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

two questions, how do I save things to my favorite list [I'm on firefox] and how do I corect spelling mistakes

When you are on a web page you want to save into favourites, hold down CTRL and press D

Favourites issue:
With Firefox open, hold down the ALT key, and a menu will appear in the top left side.

to retrieve a favourite, hold down the ALT key and select the "Bookmarks" to see them.

Spell checker:

With Firefox open, Press the ALT key to bring up the menu again.
select Tools, Options, Advanced and tick the box "Check my spelling as I type"

alternatively,

Type in “about:config” in the address bar. ( without the quotes )

In the filter field type in “spell“.

Find the entry for “layout.spellcheckDefault” and double-click it.

Set the integer to “1” to enable the spell checker. Set the integer to “0” to disable the spell checker.

Hope that helps. :up

You can check to see if your laptop has the option to "Downgrade" to Windows 7, where the Windows Product key sticker is ( usually stuck to the back of your laptop case ), there will be a 16 digit number for Windows 10, but check it carefully, as you may have a valid Windows 7 product key also. the media required can be downloaded from Microsoft, and when you install windows 7 key in that key.

If you have that, I can assist further with the Windows 7 Installation.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Thanks JL, my two headaches are now solved. :up :ks
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Zooropa wrote:I have a real problem buying a laptop nowadays.

They are not compatible with Windows 7 generally and windows 10, along with its older Windows 8 is the anti Christ.

If people are just using email, web browsing, youtube and facebook, plus some office work, then I see no reason why you cannot install UBUNTU or Linux MINT, or Linux Zorin.
Zorin is my own personal choice, and UBUNTU.
Its similar to Windows or even Mac OS if you choose, infact I know people with older Macs that cannot run OS X too well, converting to UBUNTU to get more life and performance out of their older Mac Book.

simply download the ISO file for the chosen operating system from Linux.org, and burn the ISO file to a CD or DVD.
(always look for an operating system version with the words LTS next to it, as LTS means Long term Support. )

https://zorinos.com/download/
https://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
https://linuxmint.com/download.php

When booting off the DVD, you get the option to try out the operating system, although it will be slow as a trial, but you will get the feel of it.
you can then commit to installing the Operating system side by side with your current operating system, or wipe your drive and commit to installing it as your only operating system.

It is so easy to install that you need zero technical ability at all.
Firefox is the standard web browser, you get the full version of Libre Office which is Micro$oft Office compatible, you can do everything you can on Windoze, and use much less battery power.
ALL Applications are free, although we are not allowed to use the word free, as that harms commercial products, so we use the words "Open Source" :ct

All the keyboard shortcuts are the same, so copy and paste, undo, etc....

No viruses to worry about, no adware, email attachments that are virused wont damage Linux...

The Linux Motto. ( although, I may have just made this up this very moment )

It is not the job of linux to stop you from shooting yourself in the foot.
Its job is to deliver the bullet in the most effective manner possible. 8)

I Installed Zorin for my wife's friend on her laptop, and it took less than half an hour, she watched the install and it asked if she wanted to use the camera to take a picture of her for her profile picture, she inserted the wireless network password, chose the country and keyboard type, and submitted a password.
Then we waited for the install to go ahead, and at the end of the install, when she logged in for the first time, I showed her how to create desktop shortcuts for all the applications she wanted to use. She was amazed that the laptop had even picked up the wireless printer and installed it without even asking about it, and we printed off a test page.

Still paying for an operating system you dont want ? Why ?

Also, if you do buy a laptop with Windoze pre installed, you can get a refund if you do not use Windows, as you can decline to accept their terms and conditions...
Talk to the salesman about that when you next buy a laptop.