From death to no-contact, ancient martial art revived.

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

From death to no-contact, ancient martial art revived.

Post by DJKeefy »

Sohag, EGYPT (Reuters) - Turn the clock back just over half a century and a contest between two men in the ancient Egyptian martial art of tahteeb could see the loser injured, or even killed.

Today however, striking is no longer permitted in this form of stick-fighting, references to which were discovered written inside ancient Egyptian tombs.

In the city of Sohag which lies on the banks of Nile in central Egypt, one martial arts school is working to keep the ancient sport alive.

Zayed Abd El Naiem and Masry Abd El Fatha dance with
their 'El Nabout' canes as they perform Tahteeb, an ancient
form of martial arts and dance, in Sohag, Egypt.

“Long ago, this game was violent, and about 60 or 70 years ago, it was similar to fighting games, because that was the era known as one of manhood,” said Sabry Mohamed, who founded the International Centre for Tahteeb in 2012.

Tahteeb requires a great deal of skill and control, and there are rules which govern how to hold the stick and the kinds of blows permitted, some of which were aimed to be deadly before the martial art became a no-contact discipline.

Sabry has set his sights on organizing international championships for the martial art.

“We can make use of tahteeb by forming an international body that can organize international championships and we’ll benefit from this a great deal, monetarily, and also by spreading our culture and heritage to other people.”

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: From death to no-contact, ancient martial art revived.

Post by A-Four »

Many years ago now I was taught this form of 'fighting' by my old friend Ali on the West Bank. He would teach me the ways, movement, and skills to outwit your opponent. To show a pleasant smile expression as you enter the 'arena', then without warning to change as though one becomes the great warrior,.......that you evidently are not. All this I learnt in Ali's private garden that was once part of the old rural Ramla, what has become of this land since he has now gone to Paradise, I know not.

Only once did I put my 'skill' into practise, and that was at a large special party up in the hills, of course I lost, but I gained good respect. At all time you show your opponent anger in the 'fight', but never must your stick weapons connect. The whole sport or fight which ever you wish to call this, teaches so much more that is required in the modern day Western life style,....but alas is lacking.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I can think of the odd person living in Egypt that I would like to beat with a big stick. :lol: :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:I can think of the odd person living in Egypt that I would like to beat with a big stick. :lol: :lol:
Now, now, let's be careful here, we all know that even when he lost his stick, he still wants to fight on,........but even so I don't think he would know the rules of that game either, and the audience knew this long ago, and went to bed early,........as per. :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A-Four wrote:
Horus wrote:I can think of the odd person living in Egypt that I would like to beat with a big stick. :lol: :lol:
Now, now, let's be careful here, we all know that even when he lost his stick, he still wants to fight on,........but even so I don't think he would know the rules of that game either, and the audience knew this long ago, and went to bed early,........as per. :wi :wi :wi :wi :wi .
I am sure I don't know who you are alluding to. :a21:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Horus wrote:
A-Four wrote:
I am sure I don't know who you are alluding to. :a21:
For goodness sake, keep yer head down or he will come and pontificate on this subject also :lol: .
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

For goodness sake, keep yer head down or he will come and pontificate on this subject also :lol: .
As if he would do that :lol:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I do Horus but a stick would not stop a bullet..... especially when the shooter aims for the biggest part of ones body!!!