14 Egyptian men get three years in jail for homosexuality

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: 14 Egyptian men get three years in jail for homosexualit

Post by DJKeefy »

I give up on you George 8)

To me it sounds like you approve that 14 Egyptian guys got locked up just cause they are gay :td

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

But! big but, HIV is growing it's only the tablets that stop it's death rate.
Actually, the rate of new HIV infection has been steadily dropping for the last decade.

"There has previously been concern that the annual number of new infections among adults would remain static, as incidence rates failed to shift between 2010 and 2015. However, a slightly more positive trend is emerging as new infections among adults are now estimated to have declined by 11% - and 16% for the general population - between 2010 and 2016, whereas there was only an 8% decline between 2010 and 2015."

https://www.avert.org/global-hiv-and-aids-statistics

I'm curious as to why you have conflated the subjects of HIV and homosexuality. Surely you know that the incidence of HIV is far more prevalent in largely straight sub-Saharan Africa and amongst intravenous drug users than amongst the gay community? The idea of HIV being the "gay plague" was debunked years ago. In fact, the world owes the gays a debt of gratitude in that the virus was detected because suspiciously large numbers of otherwise healthy young gay men were falling over like ninepins. The virus probably originated in West Africa as a mutation amongst chimpanzees and transmitted to the human population through the consumption of bush meat
And, Stop trying to convince the World that it's normal, because deep down like smoking you know it's not.
Wrong again. Mainstream scientific opinion, supported by numerous studies, holds that sexual orientation is something we're born with although the mechanisms, possibly genetic are not , as yet, fully understood. It's not normal, in the sense that it is , statistically, a minority condition. But it's normal in the sense that it's something over which the individual has no control. Of course they can suppress their natural inclinations...but why the hell should they insofar as it is of no consequence to anyone else.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... sexuality/

The very idea that homosexuality is somehow a "lifestyle choice" makes me laugh. Yes...I can see the young men of Cairo (or Tehran) saying " I fancy being gay...and living a gay life , just for a change" . As if!

Smoking, on the other hand, is a choice...albeit a silly one. And although it may be unsightly and unpleasant for others, we don't lock smokers up...or execute them.
Trying living on the normal hetrosexual path here, it ain't easy and never has been purely down to f****'dibblers.
The idea that straight men are routinely accosted by predatory gay men is completely fictional. In Luxor, it's quite the reverse. Any straight man walking alone is liable to be offered the customary "big banana" by straight guys patrolling the corniche.

I have some sympathy with your view that, particularly in Luxor, single men are suspected of being gay. But has that queered your pitch? (excuse the pun). I imagine your target "audience" is dig sluts or the occasional Russian tourist who surely don't share the Egyptian mentality. Maybe you need to examine your wardrobe or chat-up routine if you're finding it hard to pull these days. Let's be honest, rural, conservative, islamic Egypt isn't the ideal hunting ground for heterosexual sex.

I have more sympathy for Dusak. The runaround he suffered with regard to a visa may well have been due to his status as a single male.

But , in either case, denigrating gays generally for Luxor's peculiarities is stretching the point somewhat.
Iv'e known many Gay people, they are still my friends to this day.
Then I can only imagine they are unaware of the sentiments you express here.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I thought that it was, considering the 'at home interview' I had, but as it turned out, quite the opposit, some kind person reported me as having a Christian and Muslim wife under the same roof. They just did not think to ask me if this was the case. S*** can happen.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:I thought that it was, considering the 'at home interview' I had, but as it turned out, quite the opposit, some kind person reported me as having a Christian and Muslim wife under the same roof. They just did not think to ask me if this was the case. S*** can happen.
How odd that such would have been an issue!

After all, now that you're a muslim, you can have up to four wives, of any faith.

Many Egyptian men have a muslim wife and a christian foreigner wife. And occasionally they co-habit.

The domestic arrangements of a certain West Bank landlady spring to mind.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Will these 14 men have to share cells? Just asking.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:Will these 14 men have to share cells? Just asking.
No idea. Does it matter? Just asking.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I was going to write a repost to the above posts but to be honest I cannot even be bothered.... 8)
Pearls & Swine....pearls & swine.....
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:I was going to write a repost to the above posts but to be honest I cannot even be bothered.... 8)
Pearls & Swine....pearls & swine.....
"Do not give what is holy to the dogs; nor cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you in pieces." Matthew 7:6

You do well to play safe :lol:

If you're on the scent of biblical admonishments, I have to concede that the scriptures are on your side when it comes to homosexuality.

Found God have we? :)))
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Wait until he starts quoting from the movie Pulp Fiction, he has form on that one :lol: :lol:
phpBB [video]
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

What part of the world was the original bible written, nothing changed much.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:I give up on you George 8)

To me it sounds like you approve that 14 Egyptian guys got locked up just cause they are gay :td
I'm not sure he does.

But his phobia about homosexuality prevents him from condemning it. A pity...because an irrational dislike of something need not be inconsistent with condemning blatant affronts to human rights.

I loathe tripe. Tried it - once - as a child. I threw up. But I accept others like it and their consumption of it doesn't pose a threat to me, or to society as a whole. So I'm not for locking up tripe-eaters. (Peddlars of tripe...maybe. )

And therein lies the nub of the issue with regard to homosexuality. Does it pose an existential threat?

I take issue with Who2's attempts to suggest that it does. The inference that it's connected with the spread of AIDS or other sexually transmitted diseases is simply untenable. Homosexual activity is no more dangerous than heterosexual activity. Arguably less so in that the risks associated with pregnancy are absent.

In the Middle Ages, those afflicted with physical or mental disabilities were viewed with suspicion - as possessed by devils - sometimes with appalling consequences. We've moved on. Not that homosexuality is a disabilty. Any more than is the colour of your eyes or skin

Homosexuality is not a choice** and, insofar as it does not adversely affect other members of society, should not be discriminated against or punished. In the UK, homosexual behaviour was punishable by law until a growing body of evidence, and a change in public perception, dictated that it was something in which the law should not be involved. The remaining objection - that homosexuals were a security risk (because they could be blackmailed) - was removed by the simple expedient of removing the law criminalising homosexual activity between consenting adults in private.

The law continues to condemn those who indulge in sexual activity in public, or with minors. Gay and straight alike. And rightly so.

By contrast, paedophilia - for which there is also evidence that it's an inbuilt, rather than acquired, condition - does pose a threat to children and it's quite right that those who would practice it should be restrained and possibly punished. There's a growing view that treatment, rather than simply punishment, is more appropriate.

That Who2 views gays with disgust doesn't bother me. I live with an Egyptian family whose views on the matter are more virulent than his. Each to there own! I daresay a number of L4U members are homophobic to some degree. But I hope that, in this day and age, they don't condone locking anyone up for 3 years for simply being gay.

I'm more concerned with his attempts to rationalise an essentially irrational phobia. I think a lot of Who2's remarks are 'tongue in cheek'...particularly the suggestion that it's made his life on the West Bank more difficult.

** Perhaps I should modify that assertion. Sexuality is a spectrum and there are those who might be persuaded, or even encouraged, to indulge their homosexual tendencies where societal taboos would normally discourage them. So what? Although they're choosing a lifestyle fraught with difficulties compared to being 'straight', it's their choice and should be respected. Subject, of course, to the prohibition on inappropriately influencing young minds .....in either direction.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Who2 keeps reminding us how much of a criminal he was/is, so at least the 14 gay Egyptian men have a lot in common with him now :a6:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

DJKeefy wrote:Who2 keeps reminding us how much of a criminal he was/is, so at least the 14 gay Egyptian men have a lot in common with him now :a6:
If he's an advocate of severe punishment for gays, just as well his thieving wasn't subject to sharia law.

It's a bugger typing with one hand :lol:
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

newcastle wrote:
DJKeefy wrote:Who2 keeps reminding us how much of a criminal he was/is, so at least the 14 gay Egyptian men have a lot in common with him now :a6:
If he's an advocate of severe punishment for gays, just as well his thieving wasn't subject to sharia law.

It's a bugger typing with one hand :lol:
He could be a ****** then :o maybe he's already one 8)
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Think its time to lock this thread, we don't want Who2 to start showing how much a bully he his when you upset him :roll: