Christmas Films

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Christmas Films

Post by HEPZIBAH »

For weeks now, various TV channels in the UK have been showing Christmas movies. I moan that they start showing them too soon but must admit to having already seen more than more fair share. I get a bit fed up with some of them as there is a limit to how many interpretations of Scrooge/A Christmas Carol I can take, and I don't really appreciate all the Jingle Bells, Elves and Saving Santa and The North Pole type films. Nevertheless there are many films that I do appreciate for one reason or another, and that possibly also depends on my mood at the time.

One film that I've seen recently, and for the very first time, is a little different to many of the others, and is probably my favourite seen so far this year. 'Christmas with a Capital C' is ultimately about putting Christ back into Christmas.

Two other favourites of mine are not at all the typical Christmas films most think about. Joyeux Noel is based on the Christmas truce in the trenches during the First World War, and Silent Night, set during Christmas Eve towards the end of the Second World War and also based on a true story. Both films help to bring home part of the message and spirit of Christmas.

Which Christmas films are on your 'must watch' list? Do you have a particular favourite that is perhaps not the normal run of the mill film?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Christmas Films

Post by Major Thom »

I have a tendency not to watch too many films Hepzi, but love drama's and there have been a lot of drama's on the TV this year, a few being Line of Duty S3, Liar, The Loch, and a great one I forget the name of at this moment starring Sean Bean as a plagued priest, fighting demons from his past. There are a few showing just before Christmas too, Bancroft with Sarah Parrish, and the Tunnel. I find drama's more gripping and more believable than a lot of films. I fact my wife is the same. We got into them after watching dramatization of the Catherine Cookson books on TV and have watched them ever since. There are some great ones coming up depending on how you get your TV from a Swedish Company called Yellow Bird, the people who brought to TV the original Wallander.
I am not one for violence, and unbelievable story lines such as the films from MARVEL etc I really find them boring. I used to be a big GOT fan but series 6 and the way they are stringing people along by large gaps between series, giving people the opinion they have run out of story line.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Living here we will be lucky if we get the 33rd re-run of the 40s White Christmas. :lol: I'm not really into Xmas films, so do not miss them, however as I've been watching a lot of YT of late I have come across a film channel that I have managed to watch four new releases before they got taken down. There are hundreds of film on the continuous list, so no problem over the Xmas period. :up I'm amazed just what you can find on YT if you take the time to search. Now I've created my own six hours daily watch list.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

phpBB [video]
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

phpBB [video]
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

phpBB [video]
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Love Actually is quite popular down here, but not in my home.
Carpe diem! :le:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Get yourself a MINIX BOX, D, and subscribe to NTV, you get everything including catch up. All the sports, all the docs, ITV and BBC program's including 2,3,and 4 Channels. You can also load up with all the latest films. Just connect to your router and bingo!!! HD also. Pay each month via the internet.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

No films on my list, no tele for Christmas. Last time the television was switched on in my home was a couple of weeks ago when I had friends visiting and they wanted to watch the news.
When my kids were little they loved The Little Match Girl.