Putin lifts ban on Egypt-Russia flights

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

Putin lifts ban on Egypt-Russia flights

Post by Chris »

The move is expected to place further pressure on the British government to review its own stance on flights to Egypt.

The UK Foreign Office (FCO) currently advises against flying into Sharm el Sheikh, following the bombing of a Russian Metrojet aircraft in 2015.

Other Egyptian destinations such as Hurghada and the Red Sea Bays have worked hard to attract some of Sharm’s business, offering the same year-round beach and diving attractions.

Amr El-Ezabi, director UK & Ireland for the Egyptian State Tourist Authority, said: “We are very pleased that flights between Egypt and Russia will now resume, as it’s a clear sign of the confidence that the Russian government has in the aviation and airport security standards that Egypt has introduced.

“We hope this will encourage flights back to Sharm from the UK so that travellers can return to the destination.”

Since the 2015 attack, the Egyptian government has since invested £20 million into raising airport security standards, working with a British aviation security firm. All European countries, except for the UK, have now permitted flights to resume.

EgyptAir will initially operate services from Cairo to Moscow three times per week from February 2018, with announcements on charter flights to holiday destinations resuming expected to follow shortly.

https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/puti ... 20Bulletin

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Putin lifts ban on Egypt-Russia flights

Post by newcastle »

.....with announcements on charter flights to holiday destinations resuming expected to follow shortly.
Heard it all before...... :a84:

I think there are still some issues with the regional airports as far as the Russians are concerned.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

One has to ask how many Russians are interested in Egyptian Architecture? They usually go for the Red Sea resorts.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:One has to ask how many Russians are interested in Egyptian Architecture? They usually go for the Red Sea resorts.
Indeed.

And while the local small establishments, and the"boys", would appreciate their return, I'm not so sure about the upper end of the hotel market..

Russian guests did have something of a "reputation" and I doubt the Germans, in particular, will be enthusiastic about rubbing shoulders with them again.

Standards in some areas have improved significantly since the Russians stopped coming.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Also lets hope they remember to bring their Dr's certificates with them. There again I doubt too many Russians suffer from backache.