Website selling children sends shockwaves across Egypt

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Website selling children sends shockwaves across Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Website selling children based on hair, eye color sends shockwaves across Egypt.

The emergence of a website dedicated entirely to selling children of all ages to interested customers sent shockwaves across the Egyptian society recently.

“We have children for sale of all ages for those interested in adoption or buying,” read a statement on the website, which offers newborns, infants and children up for sale whose biological parents are unknown.

The prices vary on the basis of gender, skin color, heath conditions, eye and hair color, in addition to an array of other physical characteristics.

An computer science engineer told Al Arabiya.net that he discovered the notorious website after creating a Facebook page to help find missing children.

Ramy el-Gebali said his page, which has 1.2 million followers, helps families of lost children by posting pictures of their missing children and the parents’ contact information in case any of the page’s followers has seen them.

Some followers of Gebali’s Facebook page who live in al-Shorouk city, northeast of Cairo, had told him about a suspicious apartment that housed many children and was always “frequented by some families who seem to come and leave with children.”

The followers told Gebali the arriving families drove fancy cars, and showed signs of wealth. Gebali says the neighbors reported what they saw to the police, and it turned out that the apartment residents were child kidnappers who wanted to put the kids up for sale.

From that incident, Gebali noted, he became more interested in knowing how these child traffickers find their customers.

By researching, Gebali came to discover the shocking website that helped the child traffickers find their customers.

Gebali said he found the owner of the website to be an Arab citizen residing in the Netherlands.

He was able to figure out how the process of selling the children through the website had been carried. He later informed police of his findings, along with the Human Trafficking department at the Egyptian Attorney’s Office.

Authorities are now taking the necessary measures, he added.

*** Egyptian anchor investigated for involvement in the case ***

In a separate incident, Egypt’s prosecution has summoned a controversial Egyptian anchor and her program’s director this week following an episode they aired on the kidnapping of children in Egypt.

The prosecution also ordered the detention of the program’s producer and photographer for 15 days in relation to the case on charges of “inciting the kidnapping of two children to prepare an episode of the program.”

During investigations, the program producer said she was assigned by her editor to contact a young man called Islam who presumably discovered “a gang that kidnaps children and puts them up for sale.”

Through this person, the producer added, she got in touch with the gang, and “told them she wanted to buy two children for 300,000 Egyptian pounds.”

The producer said that on the day she was going to meet the gang, Interior ministry officials had been informed of the location and timing at which the kidnappers were going to hand the children.

The police raided the location, freed the children and arrested the kidnappers, she added.

But she was later surprised to find out that the kidnappers are accusing her of “inciting the kidnapping of those children” after she offered money in return.

The program producer and photographer remain in custody pending investigation.

Source: http://english.alarabiya.net/en/feature ... Egypt.html

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Website selling children sends shockwaves across Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

You seem to hear about children been kidnapped in Egypt on a daily basis these days, the kidnappers must be earning a fortune, no wonder the Egyptians kill them or serious maim them if they catch them.

phpBB [video]
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Absolutely horrifying. A world wide problem but as with most things, it hits you harder when you know the place. It worries me how easy it is to just take a child to order, especially in societies where children are still allowed to have more freedom than perhaps those in the west have.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

YouTube must like child kidnappers, they have given me a strike on the above video and it will be removed in 7 days:
YouTube wrote:Reason: Violation of YouTube’s policy on harassment and bullying
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Wonder if some of the Hollywood Elite uses the site?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Disgusting practice and disgusting video to see a crowd of men beating another, what ever the reason, it reminds me of the crowds outside American prisons rejoicing when a death sentence is due to be carried out. Human nature is horrible in so many ways.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Can't understand the Tubes attitude, this video has been available to watch for quite a long time, and I have seem much worse than this one. Unfortunately the kidnapping of kids of all ages is not uncommon here, especially in the more rural and remote areas. Its not surprising these kids are taken each year within a country that seems to put a low level of preventative action towards the safety of these kids, until that is, it becomes public knowledge.
When you see that up to 100,000 kids go missing each year in the UK alone, mainly for reasons other than kidnap, Egypt's victims are just a drop in the ocean in comparison. A lot of the UK's ''disappeared'' are heavily abused or taken advantage of and some held captive by various gangs of Pakistani child molesters around the UK, a growing problem according to the news over the last few years with many of the young girls that have the willingness to come forwards and complain to the police, are tending to get ignored as exaggerated factual happenings, or insufficient evidence. Plus I think that the authorities in power [UK] do not want these incidents to make the headlines as most of the perpetrators are Muslim. The active far rights groups operating in the UK may have a valid reason to see these people removed from the streets for good, in not too lawful actions. IMHO that is.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

It happens here in Turkey too, especially in the big cities like Istanbul. Child labour is also common, despite being illegal. The huge influx of Syrian refugees, many of them unaccompanied and unregistered children, has made matters worse. There are no reliable figures for the number of children who disappear each year, only a general acceptance that it's a great deal higher than the official total.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Vigilante justice and lynch mobs are a feature of many African countries where the citizens have little faith in the police or justice system.

Although I realise it goes on in Egypt, particularly in rural communities, I'm not in favour.

"Rough" justice can all too easily turn out to be no justice at all.

Better to work on improving the policing, solving of crimes and making the justice system fit for purpose....IMO of course.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I cannot quite agree with your statement that it only happens in countries where the populace has little faith in the justice system. I have lived in such countries that inherited their justice system as a legacy of colonial rule with judges that came through under that colonial system. I found that the usual laws and penalties were imposed and in many cases were more severe than in a Western society where we often are left with a sense of no justice having being meeted out to the perpetrators. However ‘instant justice’ was often dished out regardless of the law being particularly harsh in many cases for what we would consider a trivial offence, I have myself had to intervene in one such beating where a thief was caught red handed. It seems to me to be more a form of traditional punishment where the local population or villagers would punish the offender in their midst rather than any distrust of the legal system.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Severe penalties are not much use if perpetrators are seldom brought to justice by an inept police force.

Egypt's a prime example.

But I take your point that, in some countries, vigilante justice is almost cultural and the efficiency of the police or legal system is neither here nor there.

These societies presumably do not have a high regard for the presumption of innocence, or the safeguards of a trial and evidence.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

There is no presumption of innocence when they catch a thief in the hen house clutching a chicken or someone caught climbing in through a window. ;)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:There is no presumption of innocence when they catch a thief in the hen house clutching a chicken .....

I found it wandering about, your honour, and was just putting it back

or someone caught climbing in through a window. ;)......

I'd had a few drinks, your honour, lost my keys and thought this was my house!.

:a80:

Newcastle & Co. Barack-room lawyers for the Innocent
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

One of my husband's cousin's children disappeared years ago. Never found, never really investigated. Another cousin's child disappeared, found shortly after, murdered. Never really investigated. Neither crimes solved. Cannot exactly remember their ages, but both under 10. :a7:
Carpe diem! :le:
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Winged Isis wrote:One of my husband's cousin's children disappeared years ago. Never found, never really investigated. Another cousin's child disappeared, found shortly after, murdered. Never really investigated. Neither crimes solved. Cannot exactly remember their ages, but both under 10. :a7:

What a terrible experience to go through! It's bad enough for parents to recover from the natural death of a child, but to go through disappearance or murder must be a life changing experience! I really feel so sorry for your husbands cousins, WI! :(
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Its a million man Egyptian police force. The President in a careless phrase to a USA magazine referred to it as a 'million man mafia'. Wonder what he meat?

So there is at least 1 cop for every 90 Egyptians - this is about the highest in the world if not the highest so things should be perfect or better - but things are not and no-one is held to account.

All this money and all this power - and things are far from well.

Its a perfect policeforce - no women - but I think 50% women would improve it hugely.

Its not as if these idiots haven't had warning - the capture of kids from poor countries for labor and sex has been going on for decades. There has been a a lot or warning of this practice - as if they would notice or learn.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

As happened to my friends youngest sister, sixteen, taken from the village and found with a bullet through her head in a sugar cane field on the West Bank, still no justice to put closure on the loss five years on.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

From what I've heard, this is too easy to get away with. :a7:
Carpe diem! :le: