Damming The Nile VR

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Damming The Nile VR

Post by crewmeal »

Here's something for all you techies out there. Seems like a good way to learn about The Nile.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... ntary.html

Now the bad news...
However the content must be tailored to the devices of different technology companies. To watch Damming the Nile at its best, viewers must download the BBC VR app on a Samsung phone and use a special headset costing at least £40
Any takers? No I thought not :(

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Damming The Nile VR

Post by A-Four »

crewmeal wrote:Any takers? No I thought not :(

Yer, I think you're right on that Crewmeal, I certainly will not.

Having said that the program, Damning the Nile will be broadcast on the B.B.C. News Channel this Saturday at 8-30 p.m., whether this will be part of B.B.C. World News output for that day, I am not sure.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Watching B.B.C. WORLD News Channel this evening, there was an interesting item of news, or perhaps a snippet of its up and coming program on Saturday.

It is suggested that if the general flow of the Nile is reduced on the scale that is presently anticipated, then this would allow the ever rising sea water to penetrate the very valuable agricultural land of The Delta.
FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

A-Four wrote:Damning the Nile will be broadcast on the B.B.C. News Channel this Saturday at 8-30 p.m., whether this will be part of B.B.C. World News output for that day, I am not sure.
Thanks for the heads up.

It's on the BBC News channel and thankfully not the BBC World News channel. I think the UK is the only place in the world where you can't view the latter!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I watched it on BBC World News ( Well.... segments The full half hour is being shown Saturday)

Also interesting....Crushing Dissent. Final chance to watch Orla Guerin's critique of the current regime. Can't imagine they'll be letting her back into Egypt when they've had a look at that. :lol:

Available in Egypt....unlike (without some effort) BBC News :lol:
Last edited by newcastle on Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I watched these three segments on the BBC, not very informative, but interesting.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I managed to see the program in full earlier this evening, certainly worth watching, the intrepid reporter, Alister Leithead certainly ensured using up his full budget for the show, even took a balloon ride over the WB Luxor. Having said this, there were quite a few interesting facts that will certainly effect Egypt, especially Cairo, and what's more very much in the near future.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

there were quite a few interesting facts that will certainly effect Egypt,
"Facts" was one aspect that I thought the programme was rather short of.

Unless you believe the Egyptian minister who calculated that a 2% drop in Nile flow would cost a million Egyptian jobs. Or that the dam in "nearly complete". About 60% is nearer the mark.

The press and social media have been arguing the toss for several years now . It was interesting that the Ethiopian guy dismissed the possibility of Egypt taking military action. I agree it would be dreadful....but I wouldn't put it past them. Sisi tried to play down the possibility of conflict in his recent meeting with the Ethiopian prime minister but he needs to continue his stance as Egypts's "strong man".

The mood on the Egyptian street is ugly. Al Ahram typified the general feeling of suspicion as to Ethiopia's motives in a 2016 article, claiming it was all about regional influence, not development needs, and how they had subverted Egypt's relationship with Sudan.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/News/15320.aspx

In rejecting international arbitration, Ethiopia is signalling that it believes it hold all the cards and whilst it continues to hold discussions on key aspects such as the rate at which the dam reservoir is filled, it won't be deterred from completing and inaugurating the GERD.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Spotted that it's on today Saturday BBC News @ 2.30pm but also another interesting programme about
Egypt and it's politics tonight at 9.30 same channel..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Spotted that it's on today Saturday BBC News @ 2.30pm but also another interesting programme about
Egypt and it's politics tonight at 9.30 same channel..... 8)
Haven't spotted that one.

Do you mean "Crushing Dissent"....6.30 pm Egypt time?

phpBB [video]
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

phpBB [video]
....... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I'll miss Orla.

I rather liked her calm reporting on the Egyptian scene since 2013.
Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

The BBC has been looking at the dam and taking a negative view of what is going on in Egypt. Not a lot new in the former. I heard Orla interviewed for 10 minutes on the imprisonment/torture/disappearance issue. To say she was angry and passionate about this matter would be a major understatement. I guess now she is away from Egyptian Police and Security Services she can deliver the ballistics that have been fomenting in her mind.

A-Four. I've not heard about flooding from reduced flow. What I have read is that global warming and related rising sea levels will almost certainly flood part of the delta. You would expect that Egypt would be deeply concerned about global warming. The effect on rain for the Nile, increased temperatures leading to evaporation, the death of the Red Sea coral - and there is a lot more.

But Egypt does nothing. It has no university capacity in this area, no expert committee, no department of climate change, no Minister. Its difficult to think of what doing nothing would be.

The short on the dam is that Egypt has had a million years of water - Ethiopia now wants some for the first time. Second Egypt's relations with Ethiopia are so bad Ethiopia doesn't care. Egypt's relations with Sudan are bad, Sudan has been bought off by Ethiopia and they don't care what happens to Egypt. Its a done deal based on appalling Egyptian behavior and 4th rate diplomacy by its Foreign Minister. Egypt has no friends in the world so no great power is going to broker a deal nor any international agency - not even the African Union.Egypt has no friends and its arguments are unconvincing.

Bombing or sabotage aren't on. Ethiopia is now close to Turkey, Saudi and the US. Israel is also part of the deal. If bombed there would be trade/tourism sanctions that would bankrupt Egypt. In such a situation Russia might help - but I wouldn't bet on it. It was always a no-go and the threat of it shows you how childish and foolish certain people are. Others must have laughed at the threat.

Allegedly its 66% finished.

Egypt has announced - about 6 weeks ago in very vague terms - that it will build the world's largest desalination plant to deal with water shortage. Such water is 5-10 times more expensive than river water, consumes vast amounts of electricity and is no solution for agricultural water needs. Desalination plants are very expensive and required skilled ongoing management. If you don't use them or partly use them because there are cheaper river water alternatives they are a huge fixed cost.

I'm sure there will be other mad and expensive projects to deal with water/the dam. Its an Egyptian thing to avoid fixing the obvious and go out and buy something new and expensive.

The obvious is that the government water systems for towns waste lots and lots of water. There is a simple engineering/construction solution that a brain dead engineer - possibly not Egyptian - could plan and manage over a methodical long period. The agricultural system consumes over 85% of the water couldn't be more wasteful and is easily fixed, but over quite a few years, with simple engineering, low cost and low technology watering systems, some grants and deep retraining of farmers. As is usually the case in many other areas Egypt will go for the big, shiny, expensive new thing and probably allow the continuation of wasteful agricultural practices.

Its significant that wasted agricultural water has been well known for several decades, mentioned in international UN type reports many, many times but always ignored. There is something about Egypt which thinks obsessively about the next year and ignores the next 5-10 years.