What a great week

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: What a great week

Post by Major Thom »

A lot of British business's are closed now due to stupidity, (sale of their UK homes) Many came across with a wad of cash, purchased business's, and decided to spend like Viv Nichols, soon the money had gone so they went back. In Coral Bay I can think of around 3 UK owned business's that are UK owned along a mile long strip. (Has for the Tomb of Kings Road, I presume that is where WI is talking of) we never go there anyway, its one of the most expensive Tourist Area's you can go to. Again even down there the UK owned business's are now few and far between. The Ologarks have moved in. Rents and business taxes have increased dramatically. Most UK business's here are more on the engineering side and property management, and they do really well. But because I am retired now I find myself not being too interested in what the ex pats do here regarding business's and earning cash, nearly all are doing it legitimately and not flying under the radar. They are not given much choice! They need residential papers, work permits tax registration papers etc etc before they can take their first euro. Far too much to interest me, but it's made quite clear that they have to contribute to the Countries finances. Probably that's why there are quite a few Accountants around. A few years ago the Banks decided to offer Swiss Franc Mortgages, of course the crash came and Euro went down, the Swiss Franc stayed strong and bingo most got a few years in arrears, and now, again because of the crash, they cannot sell their properties at a price to cover their mortgages. So many are having to rearrange their mortgages. Now they are turning to agencies to sell their homes at inflated prices, but even that is not happening. Most of the Brits still buying have lifts that do not go to the top floor, and are buying without looking into the Islands finances. First you need to look at the average monthly wage, then determine, how can the local people purchase property and rent, before you make an offer. The average wage in Cyprus is between 800 and 1000 Euros a month being conservative, so think, how can they afford rents, and you would not get a big mortgage for that. I know of some incomers that pay over 2000 Euros a month to show off, well, to me you may as well get a mortgage for that amount, or purchase, because anyone who pays that amount must be slated.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

"A lot of British business's are closed now due to stupidity, (sale of their UK homes) Many came across with a wad of cash, purchased business's, and decided to spend like Viv Nichols, soon the money had gone so they went back.

In Coral Bay I can think of around 3 UK owned business's that are UK owned along a mile long strip. (Has for the Tomb of Kings Road, I presume that is where WI is talking of) we never go there anyway, its one of the most expensive Tourist Area's you can go to. Again even down there the UK owned business's are now few and far between.

The Ologarks have moved in. Rents and business taxes have increased dramatically. Most UK business's here are more on the engineering side and property management, and they do really well. But because I am retired now I find myself not being too interested in what the ex pats do here regarding business's and earning cash, nearly all are doing it legitimately and not flying under the radar. They are not given much choice! They need residential papers, work permits tax registration papers etc etc before they can take their first euro. Far too much to interest me, but it's made quite clear that they have to contribute to the Countries finances. Probably that's why there are quite a few Accountants around.

A few years ago the Banks decided to offer Swiss Franc Mortgages, of course the crash came and Euro went down, the Swiss Franc stayed strong and bingo most got a few years in arrears, and now, again because of the crash, they cannot sell their properties at a price to cover their mortgages. So many are having to rearrange their mortgages. Now they are turning to agencies to sell their homes at inflated prices, but even that is not happening.

Most of the Brits still buying have lifts that do not go to the top floor, and are buying without looking into the Islands finances. First you need to look at the average monthly wage, then determine, how can the local people purchase property and rent, before you make an offer.

The average wage in Cyprus is between 800 and 1000 Euros a month being conservative, so think, how can they afford rents, and you would not get a big mortgage for that. I know of some incomers that pay over 2000 Euros a month to show off, well, to me you may as well get a mortgage for that amount, or purchase, because anyone who pays that amount must be slated."

I thought if I divided up the original block I might be able to understand it better. :tk

Didn't work for me I'm afraid. ;)
Smile! It confuses people
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Mad Dilys, thank you for trying.

I tried to read it earlier but it was akin to wading through knee high mud.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Obviously Policemen all look younger these days, but surely they, the modern Police intern can have at least
a glimmer of the written word.
As she is written, remember all that 'reading & writing stuff at School, Where did it all go ?
It's something I will ponder this afternoon.
An early brief of mine, ex Kent prosecutor often got people off by incorrectly spelt charge sheets. me twice... 8)
A Coppers' life is not a hippy one.... 8)
Ps: I read it twice then gave up 'la whaala!
Pss: Oh!. 'goddit....... 'lifts not going to the top floor ! 'joke it's a yoke...I hope ?
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote: "First you need to look at the average monthly wage, then determine, how can the local people purchase property and rent, before you make an offer.

Now that actually sounds quite intelligent, 'but don't you believe a word of it, going by past experiences, lol... 8)
Ps: Is that Asil Nadir the stocking guy still on the run over there ? he comes from Lefka, that anywhere near you ?
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

When the Ologarks (sic) move in, you know it's time to move on..........
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Alway's tripping over those Ologarks (sic) when back in London, buggers are everywhere.
It's about time the Council got round to fixing them, 'bloody outrageous OAP Clerkenwell..... 8)
Ps: I'll get Sim to have a word in Jeremy's ear.....14689
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Ologarks (sic) can't launder their money in Egypt.

It comes out the wash dirtier than when it went in :lol:
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Egyptian money should be the only one you are legally allowed to launder, it stinks! :sk
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote" 'lifts not going to the top floor ! 'joke it's a yoke...I hope ?

So, pondering this yesterday still not sure if it's true or a clever wit, bit like a 'sandwich short of a picnic, or 'thick as 2 short planks ect..ect...
Anyhow how come all the "media" are all recently calling Ireland, The Island of Island ?
It's surrounded by ruddy sea and the clue is in the name Ireland. Island of Island ffs!
It's going the same way as The Union Jack went good for over 400 years ruddy Union Flag,
We know it's a ruddy flag, it's up a pole... 8)
Ps: Is it a joke or not you decide ? and put me out of my misery, ta!
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Aphroditi's Bath is a part of the sea between land and Aphroditi Rock. I cannot see too many eels around in the sea, there are a few Pipe Fish there but have not seen eels yet, Aphroditi's Bath is like a shallow basin in the sea just 2 or 3 miles through Latchi. It can be found on Google, I think you are getting mixed up with Adonnis Bath and Falls that is clear fresh water falling into a pool in a shaded oasis. there are a few aquatic animal there. Many people go there for the day, for the peace and quiet, there is a small restaurant there, an old water mill, and a brilliant shaded area (Tree Canopy) with sun beds. The problem is you need a 4x4 or a high road clearance vehicle to get there, its only 4 miles from where I live but takes 45 mins to get there. Also there is the largest statue of Aphroditi, and a statue of Adonnis, the plaque at the side of Adonnis says that if ladies touch the appendage of Adonnis they will fall pregnant fast, but there may be a twist, a bell might sound!! :lol:

There is also an Aphroditi's Rock on the way to the Paphos Airport, yes there are two but both have different meanings and stories behind them. I have Googled Aphroditi Bath every time it comes out in the Latchi area. I suppose it could be like King Tuts tomb, one in the V of K and the other a plastic one outside the V of K.

Baths of Aphrodite | Cyprus Island
https://www.cyprusisland.net/attraction ... -aphroditi
Baths of Aphrodite are located in the Akamas Peninsula near the little fishing village of Latchi and is considered as a famous mythological site. It is believed that ...

Adonis Baths Waterfalls: The story behind this beautiful ... - Cyprus Beat
http://www.cyprusbeat.com/adonis-baths- ... ce-cyprus/
May 5, 2017 - Located in Kili Paphos, Adonis Baths is set to be one of the most beautiful places to visit in Cyprus. An experience to add in your to do list.

Aphrodite's Beach and Rock (Latchi) - 2018 All You Need to Know Before You ...
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_ ... iews-Aphro...
Rating: 4.5 - ‎50 reviews
Swim around the rock three times and have everlasting youth and vitality.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

MT you seem to have convinced yourself that Aphrodites Bath is in the sea, it is not, try looking at these images, we all cannot be wrong. Read what it says on the sign :a11: :roll:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Baths+o ... 52&bih=966

I think it is you who is confusing Aphrodites Bay (which is a part of the sea) with her ‘bath’ which is clearly not. Having said that the Cypriots will stick the name Aphrodite in front of just about anything to attract a tourist, Aphrodites toilet, Aphrodites bidet etc.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

His joke ? it's like milk, it's pasterieyes,
As usual he avoided the Elephant in the room.....
I don't care to think how many times he needs to get hit over the head with his truncheon.... 8)
I blame the helmets....
'It leads to my original thought, he was serious about lifts and top floors, it's snow joke!
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:MT you seem to have convinced yourself that Aphrodites Bath is in the sea, it is not, try looking at these images, we all cannot be wrong. Read what it says on the sign :a11: :roll:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Baths+o ... 52&bih=966

I think it is you who is confusing Aphrodites Bay (which is a part of the sea) with her ‘bath’ which is clearly not. Having said that the Cypriots will stick the name Aphrodite in front of just about anything to attract a tourist, Aphrodites toilet, Aphrodites bidet etc.
Yep ...it's a rocky hole full of eel-infested water.

Even the link MT gives makes it clear it's not in the sea!

The whole area, including the nearby beach & sea, is sometimes referred to as the Baths of Aphrodite which may explain the confusion. However, the legendary pool said to be the bathing spot of the goddess is the aforementioned hole.

But don't tell MT :ct
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

:a15:
I clicked on one of Major Thom's links and immediately got a full page red security warning (like I've never seen before). Now having to delay what I wanted to do this evening whiIe I do a full scan. Hopefully it's not caused a problem.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Wish I had never even asked about the effing eels now :cry: :lol: :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote::a15:
I clicked on one of Major Thom's links and immediately got a full page red security warning (like I've never seen before). Now having to delay what I wanted to do this evening whiIe I do a full scan. Hopefully it's not caused a problem.
I had the same issue. If it was someone more clued up I'd worry they'd slipped in a virus deliberately :lol:

The correct (& harmless) link he was trying to give for Aphrodite's Baths is https://www.cyprusisland.net/attraction ... -aphrodite