Bomb Hits Tourist Bus by Giza Pyramids, Kills Three

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Bomb Hits Tourist Bus by Giza Pyramids, Kills Three

Post by Winged Isis »

Damn! Just when I was beginning to convince people to come. :a7: :a1:

Detonated Bomb Hits Tourist Bus by Giza Pyramids, Kills Three

EGYPTIAN STREETS
DECEMBER 28, 2018

According to Egypt’s Interior of Ministry and photos circulating on social media, a roadside bomb hit a tourist bus near the Giza Pyramids on Friday, killing three and injuring a dozen tourists.

The tourist victims were of Vietnamese origin while some Egyptians were also injured namely the bus driver and the guide.

The bomb, which went off at 6 PM, was concealed in a wall prior to its detonation.

Prime Minister Madbouly and Health Minister Hala Zayed are both currently at the Al Haram hospital, monitoring the health of the victims of the incident.

Egypt’s Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek has ordered an urgent investigation into the explosion.

Egyptian authorities have been trying to increase safety measures and implement a strategy against terrorism for the current holidays and New Years celebrations. Both occasions are considered optimal for terrorist activities against large congregations of people.

Egypt’s tourism is considered a crucial segment of its economy. It has recently started to pick up again, following increased safety measures.

Condolences and messages against terrorism have been passing on regarding the incident, including from the European Union Delegation and the Embassy of Israel in Egypt.

The latter tweeted its condolences to the families of the victims and that such attacks ‘would not affect the stability and security in Egypt.’

https://egyptianstreets.com

Carpe diem! :le:
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Bomb Hits Tourist Bus by Giza Pyramids, Kills Three

Post by carrie »

I received an alert from the FCO. As you say Winged Isis another blow to the tourist industry. Let alone the loss of life and injuries to innocents. I hope that those who have been injured make a full recovery.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The latest:

Is Egypt Safe? What You Should Know About the Giza Tour Bus Bombing

On Friday evening, an improvised explosive device (IED) was set off as a bus carrying tourists drove past in Giza, Egypt. The blast killed four people and injured 11 others.

Here is what you need to know about the bombing – including whether Egypt is safe to visit.

WHAT DO WE KNOW ABOUT THE VICTIMS?
Four people were killed, including three Vietnamese tourists and one Egyptian who was the tourists’ guide. Eleven other people, including 10 Vietnamese tourists and their Egyptian bus driver, were injured.
All victims were transported to the nearby El-Haram Hospital for treatment.
Authorities have not published the names of the victims. However, the Embassy of Vietnam in Cairo has been notified and both Egyptian and Vietnamese officials have visited the victims in hospital.

WHERE WAS THE BLAST? WAS IT NEAR THE PYRAMIDS?
The blast occurred at 6PM on El-Maryoutiya Corridor in Giza’s Haram district, approximately seven kilometres away from the Pyramids and Sphinx complex.
The area is often busy with tourist buses travelling to and from the Pyramids as well as to other near by historical sites.
However, Egypt’s Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouly said that the tour bus had ‘deviated’ from the pre-determined secured road without notifying security officials.
The Prime Minister explained that all tour buses and their routes are highly monitored and secured by the Ministry of Interior.
Further information about whether the tour bus did in fact ‘deviate’ from any official route – and why that would matter given the incident occurred in Giza – are currently unclear.

WHO IS RESPONSIBLE?
No one has claimed responsibility for the IED explosion.
The Ministry of Interior explained that the IED was hidden beside a wall, but did not reveal whether it has any suspects.
Sources have told Egyptian Streets that is appears the IED was set on a timer and was not remotely controlled. This could indicate that the tour bus was not necessarily a target. However, this is currently unconfirmed.
Egypt’s Prosecutor-General has already opened an urgent investigation into the incident and authorities are in the process of determining whether there is any further risk to the public.
Egypt’s security is generally on high alert against terrorism as, in the past years, terrorists have targeted public and religious institutions around public holidays such as Christmas.

IS EGYPT SAFE FOR TOURISTS?
While there have been a number of terrorist attacks in Egypt over the past few years, the number of attacks targeting foreign tourists have been minimal.
Terrorists, including the IS-affiliated groups in North Sinai, have mainly focused their attacks on security forces as a result of the ongoing conflict in that area.
Egypt considers its tourism sector as a crucial segment of its economy – with the number of tourists soaring in 2018 and is expected to reach new highs in 2019 – and as such has implemented tight security measures to prevent any disturbance or attacks.
In June 2018, the annual Gallup Global Law and Order ranked Egypt the 16th safest country in the world, outranking both the United States, the United Kingdom and the entire African continent. Egypt was also deemed safer than popular European tourist destinations such as France, Italy, Turkey and Germany.
Overall, terrorism occurs all around the world and is often difficult to prevent. However, security forces in Egypt have ensured that attacks are minimal in comparison to other countries around the world.
Additionally, with Egyptians known for their hospitality, the Egyptian people themselves have played a key role in stamping out extremism and ensuring tourists can safely and joyfully see Egypt’s greatest treasures.

Exactly what I keep telling people.

https://egyptianstreets.com
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Doesn't really matter unfortunately what you say Winged Isis. A bomb has gone off in Cairo killing a number of tourists. That's the news.If I were thinking of visiting Egypt then I would do so but if I were bringing my family and just reading the news then I'm afraid I would not be coming. One thing to take a chance yourself but would you want to put your family in danger? What ever the authorities say, if the bus deviated from the route they were supposed to take is incidental. Just makes people think that Cairo is not safe if you don't go exactly where the police say it is safe to go.
As I said before another devastating impact on tourism is to be expected.
Just had a call from a friend his son and daughter in law are due to visit Cairo in two weeks before coming down to Luxor to see Dad. They are not going to Cairo.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

According to this website the risk of terrorism in London is as high as in Cairo

https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/unite ... om/london/
https://www.travelsafe-abroad.com/egypt/cairo/
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I doubt it not at all, you and I both live here and I am sure you feel just as safe as I do but we are not tourists thinking of booking a holiday. Facts are all very good but it's peoples perceptions that really matter.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Personally I will feel much safer in Cairo than London, as far as terrorism is concerned. How many attacks is it now? Five in five months or similar? Just a rough guess, correct me if you know otherwise. Anyway, far more than Cairo.

I might feel less safe in Luxor, on the grounds they'll attack somewhere other than Cairo due to the increase to security that will now been place up there. I, however, would still come.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The latest:

Egypt’s Ministry of Interior announced on Saturday morning that it has killed 40 terrorists during raids on three terrorist hideouts in Giza and North Sinai.

The announcement comes hours after a tour bus carrying Vietnamese tourists was struck by an improvised explosive device in Giza, killing four people and injuring 11.

According to the statement by the Interior Ministry, the 30 terrorists were killed in two hideouts located in the Giza governorate and eleven were arrested. The two hideouts were located in Abou El Wafa neighbourhood and Masaken Abnaa El Giza.

In North Sinai, 10 terrorists were killed in El-Arish governorate.

The statement added that police located a number of weapons and explosives at the hideouts.

The Ministry of Interior did not state whether any of the terrorists killed or arrested have been linked to the explosion on Friday evening that targeted a tour bus.

This story is developing.

https://egyptianstreets.com/2018/12/29/ ... rth-sinai/
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

The problem with the Government is they are constantly publishing in tbe news about the amount of militants they have killed, which shows that there must be a large amount of people who want to cause terrorism in Egypt.

Sent from my Galaxy S9 using Tapatalk
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

My question is, if they know where they are, why do they wait till after something has happened to get rid of them???
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Winged Isis wrote:My question is, if they know where they are, why do they wait till after something has happened to get rid of them???
Its just bad luck Winged Isis, just like when they discovered those responsible for the killing of the Italian guy, destroyed them after the deed had been done the day after. :urm:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yeah!!!!!!
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

All these incidents end in a shoot out like this one did! I wonder how many innocent people got killed in this gun fight? It's hard to believe how they solve things for the sake of making things look good. Like Carrie explains those tourists with families and Asian families may well now no longer support tourism, knowing their Countries have been targeted. I could well imagine there may be more tourists targets because its the killing of tourists that make the bigger headlines. It's a sad state of affairs when such a large security force cannot keep a Country safe. You can target the UK being on the same alert as Egypt, but the amount of attacks thwarted in the UK is much much higher. A lot of the murders etc are committed by immigrants from terrorists Countries and now these English Channel immigrants are claiming Political Asylum, (Which presumably they will be granted, even though they have no papers and come from terrorist Countries) the UK Security forces will need to be even more on the ball.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

How many terrorist incidents have been thwarted by the Egyptian security forces MT? You don't know and neither do I. Terrorists only have to succeed once security forces everywhere have to be lucky all the time. One thing about Egypt the majority of people know how important to the economy tourism is and don't want incidents like this to occur. They are on the whole very protective of us. However like I have said before no use those of us who live here saying it is safe, voices in the wilderness when you have news organizations reporting that a tourist bus was deliberately targeted by bombers.
It all makes me very sad, not just for the families of those killed and the poor people injured but for Egypt as a whole. I do feel safe here and I would go to Cairo, Egypt has got me though, I'm not one that has to be convinced that it is safe.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Does anyone know who was properly targeted then Carrie? It does seem strange that the Tourist bus was passing when the bomb exploded. I agree that tourism is vital to the Country, without it the place will sink very quick. The problem may be that with worldwide coverage like this the criminals may expand their network because it brings maximum fear, in a similar way beheading did by ISIS. In the UK the majority of offenders are either known or suspected by their appearance, in Egypt its difficult to know who is who from any of the terrorist promoted Countries.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You mean that if they look of middle eastern origin or Muslim in the UK then they are automaticaly suspected terrorists MT?
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

The photos of the dead terrorists are obviously staged. All neatly on their backs, gun in hand, not a drop of blood around.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Its a well known fact, when the Egyptian trigger finger is pulled backwards in retribution, only the bad guys get hit. Its also a well known fact that pigs fly out of Egypt as quickly as possible.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Lets put it this way Carrie, they are kept withing sight, that would be the easiest way of putting it. Even more so the latest Channel crosser's claiming asylum from Afghanistan, Iraq and Iran. I think most people are wary, myself i cannot be bothered, but you have to think of the majority not the minority, even the Mayor of London gets stick, as well you know it's on TV regularly.