Eid err.. not quite

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Eid err.. not quite

Post by Who2 »

So, my mates turn up stating "Sheik Tieb (local boy, hassana) has said looking through his telescope that,
'it is not yet a complete new moon.

Sort of put the 'kibosh on partying last night.
Mind you the rest of the World 20 odd billion went with Saudi Arabia (NASA) has all the gear...

So, Sheik Tieb will probably be popping down tomorrow to visit the family.
Iv'e bumped into him a few times at the airport, he's held in very high respect round here...

Mind you perhaps he might have slid a few points....... 8)
That's him on my calendar in the middle.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Eid err.. not quite

Post by newcastle »

I doubt el Tayeb had much to do with the decision regarding Eid. He’s the grand imam of el Azhar.

Most religious decisions in Egypt (including moon related festival dates) are taken by the Dar el Iftaa....the grand mufti of which is Sheikh Allam.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Well Sheikh Allam drew a totally 'blank look on our mates face, So where's he from then ?
Axel said, 'it's all controlled from Saudi Arabia 'You know!... 'who uses nasa, 'mind you ex-fireman,
as we all know all fireman can talk the talk, the rest of us just call it b*llsh*t....... 8)

Ps: So, Another tuesday over, tonight my 6 hour slow spaghetti bolognese inc:
half bottle Omar Khayyam & 6 rashers of bacon.mmmh

Nb: 16 months as a pastry apprentice and all I remember is...
'Bolognese sauce, but then we cooked it for 8 hours.......
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Change that figure to 1.2 billion or 1.8 billion... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Surprising your mates don’t know Shawki Allam.....the Grand Mufti of Egypt and the state’s primary source of religious authority. He’s certainly more important than Azhar’s el Tayeb.

Allam is the guy who determines whether death sentences are ratified.....or not.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

All along the WB, up in the hills, were a number of villages and each having its own mosque. One such evening I remember being at a friends house just before 'breakfast' during Ramadam. Any one with knowledge will know it is not easy to leave without joining in on the breaking-of-the-fast.

I remember hearing the call go up in the distance, date in hand, I almost put it in my mouth, but quickly prevented, being inform that the call had not gone up at our mosque. Five minutes later my friend rang the local Imam who had been asleep.

Later I learnt that the Imam in question had been reported to Sheikh Tieb, in the days when he was still at El Soul, he told my friend,.......'Well yes, but your Imam is an old man and needs his sleep, can you not just give him a call on the telephone'. A wonderful man who gave simple easy answers to many a family problem that he was so often faced with.

P.S. - Not sure but top left picture looks very much like Sheikh Abu-Gum-Salam (as pronounced). A wonderful funny long gone old Sheikh, and highly respected..............Eid Mubarak to all. :wi
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Don't forget us lot, are saiedi's upper egyptians just farmers and donkey drivers..
What do we know, we know about the price of bread and benzine oh! and Mo Salah.... 8)
Ps: yeh! the only two alive are center and b/left..
Sophocles.
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Egypt, Saudi Announce Different Eid Dates

EGYPTIAN STREETS
JUNE 4, 2019

Egypt’s Dar Al-Iftaa announced on Monday evening that Eid Al-Fitr will commence on Wednesday 5 June, with Tuesday 4 June being the last day of Ramadan.

“The [new Moon] was not visible across the country. Tuesday will be the last day of Ramadan,” announced Egypt’s Grand Mufti Shawki Allam in a statement on Monday.

The announcement has resulted in confusion across the Muslim world, with countries declaring different dates as the first day of Eid Al-Fitr.

Australia, which was the first, said that Eid Al-Fitr will fall on Wednesday 5 June. Indonesia, Japan, Pakistan, Thailand and Malaysia joined Egypt and Australia in similarly declaring Wednesday 5 June as Eid Al-Fitr.

However, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and other Gulf nations announced on Monday evening that Tuesday 4 June would be the first day of Eid Al-Fitr per observations by their respective Moon-sighting committees. Nigeria and a number of other countries also announced Tuesday 4 June as the first day of Eid Al-Fitr.

The different dates caused confusion on social media, with some questioning why and how religious figures would announce different dates.

Eid Al-Fitr, marking conclusion of either 29 or 30 days of fasting during Ramadan, is determined by a moon sighting. Eid Al-Ftir marks the first day of the 10th Islamic month Shawwal.

Some Muslims follow a set lunar calendar to determine the date of Eid Al-Fitr and other important Islamic holidays. Others, however, rely on an official sighting of the new Moon.

In this year’s case, scholars in Egypt and Saudi Arabia reported different sightings, with those in Egypt reporting no sighting of the new Moon across the country while those in Saudi Arabia reporting a sighting.

As Ramadan can only last for either 29 or 30 days, this means that in Egypt’s case, Wednesday 5 June is the last possible day of Ramadan as it would mark 30 days of fasting.

Carpe diem! :le:
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Here in Turkey Eid - called Seker Bayram (Sugar Festival) - started at 5.00am on Tuesday 4th. I was confused when I read that it started on the 5th in Egypt :ni: :ni: :ni: