Saving Egypt's Oldest Pyramid

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

FarleyFlavors

Saving Egypt's Oldest Pyramid

Post by FarleyFlavors »

Showing on Channel 5 (UK) this Saturday (8th) at 2000.

"A look at the race to preserve the Step Pyramid at Saqqara after the ceiling was found to be in imminent danger of collapse, threatening the future of the site."

I haven't seen this before - I think this is the first terrestrial showing, but it's actually from 2013.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Saving Egypt's Oldest Pyramid

Post by Horus »

Yes it has been shown before, but it is a very interesting programme thanks for posting. :up
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I vaguely recall this.....wasn’t there quite a scandal over the botched earlier attempts? And wasn’t Hawass involved?
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Hawas is involved in this one and as far as I know this repair went according to plan, having said that he had no involvement in the physical side he was just posing as usual. :roll: The technique they used after the air/water bag support was a techinque that is well known in the gold and copper mining industry and a tried and tested way of stabilising fractured rock underground.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Peter James of Cintec International and his team have now completed their work in Egypt. This team have worked on a number of such emergency projects, including Windsor Castle, Westminster Abbey and The White House, each successful project worthy of a T.V. documentary.

Mr James now back in Newport, Wales has made a number of comments regarding this recent project, a couple of which I am certain will not be included in any future program. One that may, is that he saw this project as similar to a huge game of Kerplunk, and that quite often he thought the whole structure would come down.

I will not write any more in case this program at the week end is an up-date of the now completed work, as I do not want to spoil what will be quite interesting and entertaining, also including some new archeological info. :wi .