Ink

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Ink

Post by carrie »

Anyone know where you can buy black ink here?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: Ink

Post by Horus »

Would that be printer ink or for a pen Carrie?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

What I want to do is make a reflecting pool. The water in it needs to be black, preferably. You can buy a dye on Amazon but not sure what I'm doing and whether I would like it when it's done so loath to spend much, I am on my third attempt and just can't get it right. So if I could get it right with ink then Yildez will order the proper dye for me and I will collect it when I visit her.
So fountain pen ink. Or if anyone else has any ideas what else I could use, all suggestions welcome
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

There’s loads of online info about making reflective pools. None of them - as far as I can see - mention ink as a substitute for the usual dyes. Just saying! :lol:

Still....no harm in trying I suppose.

The usual technique is to use a black plastic liner (or black pebbles)....and the advantage of the marketed pond dyes is that they are also algae inhibitors.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Can't help with the ink, but I can say that just so long as you are not comming into physical contact with the water then a shot of neat bleach will also stop the algae. As part of my garden ornamentation I once filled one of those very large glass jars used to transport acid with coloured water, the type of jar that people use to create an indoor garden in. I added some colouring agent which was blue ink for printers, the type you buy to refill printer cartridges with. I wanted it to be concealled in some ivy and to shine a couple of solar spotlights through it from behind, it worked very well and looked lovely at night. It lasted for years and kept its colour and no algae developed within the jar, unfortunately I forgot to drain it the last time we had severe frost and it burst. :(
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Refkective Pool? Does black reflect? Are these pools to swim or plunge in or to sit and stare into to reflect on your day or past. Must honestly say I have never heard of one, but interested to know...
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Now use the little grey cells MT would anyone want to swim or plunge into a pool with black ink in it? Although if you used something like burnt umber you might end up getting an instant suntan effect.
Look it up on Google, a reflecting pool does exactly what it says reflects. Clear water reflects have you never sat by a pond and seen reflections of the plants surrounding it, or reflections of a boat on the sea? Black clear still water though shows the most beautiful reflections. Like I say look it up you will find loads of images.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

I see Quink ink looks if it's been taken over by Parker (pens I presume)

https://www.tts-group.co.uk/parker-quin ... I0QAvD_BwE
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yildez look at Crewmeals link, how much did you pay for your Brusho?
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

carrie wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:39 am Yildez look at Crewmeals link, how much did you pay for your Brusho?
When you add on the VAT, I paid about the same for a 12 pack as I remember, but I also bought about 6 separate colours. Interesting site!
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Carrie how big is this reflecting pool? I ask because the printer ink I suggested was a relatively small bottle and seemed to quickly colour the contents of my jar which was easily in excess of 10 gallons and I do know that on places like ebay (OK I know you cannot use them) you can buy 4 X 100 ml black refill bottles for a fiver, it is quite strong stuff colour wise.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

With regards to MT's enquiry as to what you do with a reflectiing pool I remembered a programme I watched some years ago about the famouse Taj Mahal in India. Most people know that it was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved queen Mumtaz Mahal, but what is a little less known is the legend of their being planned/or actually built a second identical one known as the 'The Black Taj' just across the river from the gleaming white marble one. Basically a chap investigated the legend and on the opposite river bank he discovered the remains of a large shallow stone structure that he claimed could have been a shallow lake, this led him to the theory that this may have been a reflective pool and that in the moonlight it gave a perfect black reflection of the white Taj on the opposite bank thus giving rise to the legend. I really liked this idea and in my minds eye this seemed to make a lot of sense.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Oh if I could could only have a reflecting pool like the (what would you call it?) rill, canal, pool the same as that leading to the Taj I would be happy. The thought of an identical one in India but black opposite the white Taj that would have been truly spectacular.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

carrie wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:32 pm Oh if I could could only have a reflecting pool like the (what would you call it?) rill, canal, pool the same as that leading to the Taj I would be happy. The thought of an identical one in India but black opposite the white Taj that would have been truly spectacular.
You would have to use Indian Ink for that :)

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:46 am With regards to MT's enquiry as to what you do with a reflectiing pool I remembered a programme I watched some years ago about the famouse Taj Mahal in India. Most people know that it was built by the Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his beloved queen Mumtaz Mahal, but what is a little less known is the legend of their being planned/or actually built a second identical one known as the 'The Black Taj' just across the river from the gleaming white marble one. Basically a chap investigated the legend and on the opposite river bank he discovered the remains of a large shallow stone structure that he claimed could have been a shallow lake, this led him to the theory that this may have been a reflective pool and that in the moonlight it gave a perfect black reflection of the white Taj on the opposite bank thus giving rise to the legend. I really liked this idea and in my minds eye this seemed to make a lot of sense.
I recall watching a YouTube series on the Mughal emperors and it featured the story of this construction on the opposite side of the river.

I think it may be more than a theory!

“The legend of the Black Taj Mahal was first concocted by European traveler Jean-Baptiste Tavernier when he visited the famed Agra site in 1665. Even archaeological surveys done in the 1990’s yielded blackened marble stones that were found in the garden of Mehtab Bagh (Moonlight Garden), which is situated on the northern side of the Taj Mahal complex, across the river of Yamuna. But later examinations proved beyond doubt that these were indeed discolored white marble specimens affected by both time and pollution.

So, this brings us to the million dollar question – was there a Black Taj Mahal? Well, the answer is – sort of. In 2006, historians finally stumbled across the ‘black version’, which is, in fact, the dark reflection of the original Taj Mahal, as seen in the pool of the oppositely located Mehtab Bagh. This fascinating discovery further demonstrates the immaculate symmetry of the Taj, along with the deft positioning of the reflecting pool across the river.”

This ancient pool across the river is not to be confused with the reflective pool in front of the Taj Mahal itself......truly one of the architectural wonders of the world.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Gah! Wrote a long post earlier in response to Horus and the Black Taj Mahal. It doesn't seem to have posted when I pressed submit. I've got to stop writing posts on my phone and just wait until I have access to my laptop.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley