A new word !

Luxor has both Christian and Moslem communities and the politics of the Middle East are equally diverse. Air your views on the situation.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

A new word !

Post by Who2 »

It's amazing how a new word is on the lips of so many.
Prorogation.

I think it's wonderful how the great British Public have learnt and use a new word.
Well not so new, first introduced in 1867.

Clever bu**er that Dominic Cummings.... 8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Re: A new word !

Post by Horus »

You should be here Dr, every other newsreader manages to get it into the conversation at least ten times per session.
They hardly ever mentioned the word when John Major did it to avoid the 'Cash for questions' scandal and now that two faced barsteward has the cheek to oppose it when Boris does the same thing. 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:18 pm
Prorogation.

I think it's wonderful how the great British Public have learnt and use a new word.
Well not so new, first introduced in 1867.

Rather earlier I think....17th century?

Quite a neat trick by Boris.....enabling his acolytes to say it’s nowt to do with Brexit....and keeping a straight face while doing so. :lol:

I hope he’s equally cunning when it comes to outmanoeuvring Trump in due course.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

I fancy most people know full well that Boris is just putting one over on the Remoaners and why not? they have used every trick in the book and dragged up very arcane precedent they can dream up with the help of that well known 'Impartial' Speaker of the house Mr John Berk O in order to thwart Brexit, I hope Boris uses as many dirty tricks as he needs to put these self serving back peddling MP's in their place. But my gut feeling is that he knows the game he is playing and will hold their feet to the fire, its Brexit on October 31st and if you block it in some way then its a General Election. If its a GE then all the parties will be hammered and the Brexit Party will hold sway and all those Remoaner MP's will be deselected by the party prior to the GE to improve their chances, thus giving an even higher voting lobby for a Brexit with or without a deal.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I agree.

Many MPs seem to have forgotten their pledge to honour the referendum result so they’re being a bit hypocritical in carping about Boris’ tactics. Hoist by their own petard springs to mind.

Mind you, Gove’s refusal to say the government would obey parliament, even if they managed to get a law through, seems a bit anarchic. Hopefully, it’s not an idea which will be tested.

Personally, I don’t think there was ever a realistic possibility of getting a deal which would be acceptable to both EU and UK.

I can’t see Boris allowing an election to be held pre 31st Oct so it looks as if his opponents are stuffed whatever they do.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Trust me, the 2 so called main parties are now running scared, the game is almost up.
NO WAY will they hold a general election becuse we all saw what happened in those last elections for the EU MP's.
( The election that should never have happened )
Liebour and CONservative got hammered and the newly formed BREXIT party cleaned up.

But, this is what we need, REAL Leaders and people of vision who can take us forward, not sit back and think they have a god given right to rule over us and do what they want.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Who are these "real leaders" and "people of vision" ? All I see are a bunch of liars and self serving money grabbers. Self before country every time. What has the UK come to?

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Tomorrow could be very interesting!! :ct

Boris Johnson warns he will NEVER ask the EU for Brexit delay as he issues thinly-veiled threat to call a snap election if Remainers vote to block No Deal in tomorrow's showdown.

Boris Johnson has made a statement outside No10 this evening amid frantic speculation about a snap election.

Ministers have been holding crisis talks as PM faces defeat at hands of Remainer MPs trying to block No Deal. Mr Johnson declared a Commons vote tomorrow aiming to stop No Deal will be treated as a confidence issue. That would normally mean that if the PM loses the country will go to the polls to elect a new government.

The premier has also threatened to expel Tory MPs if they join the rebel alliance in the showdown tomorrow.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

So, being a bit clueless at the moment (hmm that might give me a good qualification for politics :lol: ) , what would happen if a General Election is called and the Conservatives don't get a majority? Surely that would have a further disruptive effect on the whole Brexit issue.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The short answer, Hepzibah, is that no one knows what is going to happen. We’re in completely uncharted territory.

Unless two thirds of parliament agree, there will be no general election and it must be clear to Labour that agreeing to an election is a course fraught with risk.

If they decline to comply then presumably parliament continues to sit and debate the proposed bill to force the PM to request an extension.

This he has sworn not to do!

Where that leaves us is anyone’s guess. :lol:

I don’t think an election would solve anything ....and result in a load of Faragistas running around Westminster causing more chaos.
Moonstone
V.I.P
V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Moonstone »

Who2 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:18 pm

Clever bu**er that Dominic Cummings.../quote]

At last, someone "who" (!) recognises the person who is pulling Boris's strings.
Nil desperandum
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Moonstone wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:46 am

At last, someone "who" (!) recognises the person who is pulling Boris's strings.
Boris could do himself a favour by cutting those strings as soon as possible.

His (Boris’s) major problem is that he’s lost the trust of the majority of MPs who don’t believe he’s negotiating seriously for a deal and is prepared to indulge in any skulduggery to get his way.

Having a foul-mouthed bully boy like Cummings at his side does him no favours.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

A bit like Alastair Campbell and Tony B-liar then?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:02 pm
A bit like Alastair Campbell and Tony B-liar then?
Possibly.

But what relevance has that?

Or are you saying that because we’ve had crap politicians and dubious ‘éminence grise’ figures In the past it’s ok to have them now? :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Bet that Dominic soon gets lured to The States with promises of huge amounts of $$$$$
and a chance to manipulate in a larger 'fish-bowl, obviously after the UK's little debacle with 'Johnny Foreigner.
It's better than Eastenders or Cori St. I imagine..

Deal what deal ? zee French baiseurs have never really liked us...
but we do love their wines, baguettes and fromages..even their red-wine jus reductions... 8)
Ps: And don't ask me what my MP is thinking, Jeremy seems to have his head buried in sand.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

Or are you saying that because we’ve had crap politicians and dubious ‘éminence grise’ figures In the past it’s ok to have them now? :ct
No just pointing out the two faced logic of your argument, in some posts you want to go back and quote historical events in support of your own views of what is currently happening, but when someone points out the similarity in the actions of people you agree with and would support, then you baulk at that fact being pointed out to you. As for your éminence grise inclusion in your response, Alistair Campbell certainly fits that bill as does that renowned ‘Remoaner’ supporter and backer George Soros, but in your book that is no doubt OK.

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind" and this will be very true in the coming weeks and months and I cannot wait, we live in interesting times. 8)
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’m surprised at you Horus.

A descent into “ whataboutism “ is no substitute for argument. :ct
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom