Corona Virus

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Corona Virus

Post by Who2 »

Joan Bakewell is ont telly, she's self-isolating, clever woman is Joan she interviewed me once
when we worked in Bosnia.

People are finally waking up rather than staring at their 'dumb phones.
Yes folks, 'wake-up and smell the breeze...there's a whole World out there.

Well there was once, Soon no planes no trains no automobiles or err.toilet rolls..
Methinks, I'm going to enjoy this little sojourn... 8)
Ps: Anyone seen Gogglebox funny as f...

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I’m due to fly EasyJet to Hurghada in April. I’ve received this email :

“Due to the ongoing travel restrictions being implemented as a result of Covid-19, we understand the uncertainty many customers may be facing and so any easyJet customers who wish to change their travel plans can now transfer their flights to alternative dates and/or an alternative destination without a change fee.

This applies to both existing and new bookings until further notice. Customers can make changes to their booking online via the Manage Bookings section on easyJet.com:”

Unfortunately, the cost of flights shoots up after April....even though they’re waiving the change of dates fee.....and you have to pay the difference if the price on the new date is higher. There’s no refund if you simply cancel.

I think I’ll just wait and hope the April flight is unaffected. If Easyjet have to cancel the flights because of FCO warnings, or Egypt closing its borders, then I would expect a refund.

I’m aware of the risks involved in going to Egypt but am prepared to take my chances.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A point from the media..
Quote: "Flattening of the Curve"
Now in the last 4 days I have heard this little 'sound-bite, it's going to be big..trust me I'm a Dr.

Be nice inf Donald Duck catches CV19 after shaking all those hands...Oh! and people licking his ****..... 8)

Ps: Finally, got to see my Dr today after waiting 6 weeks, he's a pal we had a great chat and a laugh,
he still won't prescribe me with medicinal marijuana, Iv'e been asking him for years, but he does supply me
with 6 months worth of heart tablets, bless. He agreed he'd be extra extra busy on my next visit...
If he's not self isolating...
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

This will help, show the locals and they'll start dancing, may be not washing their hands though.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

If you don't think the Coronavirus outbreak is deadly serious, take a look at this interview with a American infectious diseases expert...and it won't just affect older people with underlying health issues 😭😭😭😭😭

He also gives some advice a bit later which might help us get through it 👍

Hand washing helps with general hygiene standards but won't stop you getting the disease, which which is so highly infectious even before you show any symptoms that you can catch it just by breathing in the same air that they have breathed out. It's going to be a long and dangerous journey for a long time to come, it's not going to go away overnight.

This guy talks huge sense and needs to be broadcast on mainstream TV to get his message across rather than lots of the false news and misinformation being spread. If you have the time watch the full interview.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Yesterday I spoke to a few of my friends that work on the cruise boats, they was sent home when they locked down the A-Sara boat, but now have returned after only 2 days off saying everything is ok now, they moved the sick to matrouh and the virus is no more. :roll:

Money first and the higher educated Egyptians taking advantage of the less educated Egyptians :(
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Britain's over-70s will be told to stay at home for four months in a wartime-like mobilisation by the government to stop the spread of coronavirus.

Mass isolating of the elderly - even if they are not ill - will be enforced in the next 20 days as Boris Johnson ratchets up efforts to tackle the UK's outbreak, a source said.

Although the drastic measures have been drawn up to protect those most vulnerable to the killer COVID-19 infection, it brings serious concerns about the wellbeing of pensioners cooped-up for such a long time. Regular social outings will have to be scrapped and pangs of loneliness could compound an already stressful isolation experience, psychologists have warned.

Instructing the over-70s to remain indoors forms part of a wider package of emergency powers due to be officially rolled out by Downing Street next week. Last night the government's coronavirus blueprint was fleshed out further as more impending measures emerged.

Troops will be deployed to guard hospitals and supermarkets, where panic-buying unleashed carnage on Saturday. Thousands of private hospital beds will also be used to relax the pressure on the NHS which threatens to be overwhelmed as cases climb.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ht-21.html

Assuming this is accurate, and not an early April 1st prank, Armageddon has arrived.

If they think they’re going to forcibly isolate me, they’re in for a surprise.....
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

If they think they’re going to forcibly isolate me, they’re in for a surprise.....
Same here. I've got my job to go to unless I'm laid off. Mind you management recon all schools and colleges will close by this coming Friday. Possibly time to take 10 years off my age? I can get away with 20 at a push!!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Bit of a fatalist me, if your times up it's up.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:35 am Bit of a fatalist me, if your times up it's up.
👍
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

Egypt registers more 17 coronavirus cases, raising total to 110: Ministry.

The Health and Population Ministry announced Saturday that it has registered 17 new cases infected with the novel coronavirus, bringing the country’s total up to 110.

The ministry’s spokesperson, Khaled Megahed said that the 17 new cases are made up of 14 Egyptians and three foreigners – including two cases from abroad, one from Saudi Arabia and the other from the UAE.

The rest were infected from contact with previously announced cases, he said.

Megahed said that the total number of cases in Egypt up until Saturday is now 110, 21 of which were discharged from the isolation hospital.

Only two deaths have been reported thus far: a 60-year-old Egyptian woman who died on March 12 and a 60-year-old German tourist who died March 8.

The moment an infection is suspected it will be announced immediately, Megahed stressed, reflecting Egypt’s full transparency in line with international health regulations and in cooperation with the World Health Organization (WHO).

The ministry of health, he added, continues working to upgrade preparations in ports all across the country and is following up the situation first-hand.

Minister of Health Hala Zayed said on Saturday that 85 percent of the country’s infected cases display mild or no symptoms and recover without any medication, with procedures limited to isolation in a clean and well-ventilated place.

During a phone-in with Ahmed Moussa’s TV show “Ala Massoulity” (By My Responsibility) Zayed said that most of Egypt’s infections are from contact with infected people.

She thus stressed the importance of reducing direct contact and family visits, particularly for the elderly and those with chronic health conditions, and ensuring senior citizens receive the proper care.

Zayed stressed that the matter must be taken seriously and citizens remain committed to following public health instructions.

Egypt is in a better place to manage the outbreak than Europe and other countries, she said, noting that Egypt was among the first countries worldwide to take precautionary measures even before registering a single case.

Source: https://egyptindependent.com/egypt-regi ... -ministry/
doberso
Bahamas

Post by doberso »

In situations like this I think it’s sensible to “follow the science” . The medical officials - and the UK is blessed with world experts in this field - are not in the business of spreading alarm unnecessarily. The development of the likely epidemic, and how we can slow its progress, is saturating the news. If it helps modify people’s behaviour, so much the better. It will give time for the development of a vaccine, drug therapies, better diagnostic techniques. It will also push the likely peak of the epidemic towards the summer when the NHS will be better able to cope and respiratory infections are less disabling.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

It stated on the world news this morning that they are having some success treating the virus with two types of malaria tablets.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:33 am It stated on the world news this morning that they are having some success treating the virus with two types of malaria tablets.
Trump first hailed this as a miracle “cure” some time ago.

There has been considerable hype around the potential of hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine to stop the spread of COVID-19. While some have described these drugs as possible game-changers, others have reported serious concerns.

Investing in research at scale and at speed is the only way to find out definitively whether these drugs can help in this pandemic. That’s why, as part of the COVID-19 Therapeutics Accelerator, an initiative launched by Wellcome, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and Mastercard, we’re investing £7.5 million in hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine clinical trials.

https://wellcome.ac.uk/news/can-chloroq ... -us-answer

At the moment, there have only been a small number of trials.

It’s important to recognise that these, and other promising therapies, are unlikely to kill the virus itself or provide immunity ( like a vaccine) . They may reduce the seriousness of the symptoms and inhibit the ability of the virus to replicate.

An analogy would be the anti-retroviral drugs developed over the last 20 years to treat those infected with HIV. They don’t remove the virus but stop it replicating to the extent that the viral load is reduced to almost nil ( viruses don’t live forever!) and those infected can lead a normal life. They don’t go on to develop the ancillary conditions known as AIDS.

We may, if a successful therapy is developed, be able to say that Coronavirus still exists in the population but COVID-19, the respiratory syndromes that kill, has been defeated.
Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

So my friends In the Uk who think they’ve got it bad at the minute
Here in Cyprus we are now in total lockdown from 9pm to 6am
You are only allowed out of your home once per day and MUST request permission by text message before you leave home. You must carry your passport and proof that you have permission with you.
You are NOT allowed in anyone else’s house and all shops including supermarkets etc will now be closed on Sundays
If you break any of these rules you will receive an on the spot fine of €300

These restrictions come into force tomorrow and are because people just DID NOT LISTEN!! And continued to do whatever they wanted.

This is a residents post that I have copied. I am definitely NOT in Cyprus, so asking a question from our resident Cyprus expert!

This was Monday’s news. Is it working, MT?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I think these restrictions came into force last Monday.

They won’t bother MT. He’s in bed by 10 pm.

After he’s walked the dog. Assuming it’s still alive.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Ruby Slippers wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:36 am So my friends In the Uk who think they’ve got it bad at the minute
Here in Cyprus we are now in total lockdown from 9pm to 6am
You are only allowed out of your home once per day and MUST request permission by text message before you leave home. You must carry your passport and proof that you have permission with you.
You are NOT allowed in anyone else’s house and all shops including supermarkets etc will now be closed on Sundays
If you break any of these rules you will receive an on the spot fine of €300

These restrictions come into force tomorrow and are because people just DID NOT LISTEN!! And continued to do whatever they wanted.

This is a residents post that I have copied. I am definitely NOT in Cyprus, so asking a question from our resident Cyprus expert!

This was Monday’s news. Is it working, MT?
This anonymous resident of Cyprus seems to be complaining of the very system that is set up to protect them.
Such total lock-downs are not unique to Cyprus and have been happening in different countries around the world, and for many a lot longer than in Cyprus.
There are many in the UK that would welcome such measures.

'You are NOT allowed in anyone else’s house and all shops including supermarkets etc will now be closed on Sundays
If you break any of these rules you will receive an on the spot fine of €300'

The author of the original post, doesn't seem to to know that in the UK you are not allowed into anyone else's house either, (except for certain exceptions which are to do with care and welfare), or that Supermarket and other essential shops, including pharmacies, have also changed their trading hours and this is likely to change again - possibly including Sunday closing.
I believe that the Police also now have the power to give on the spot fines, although I don't know the fee.

So, no matter where we live around the world, we are all under restrictions of some kind or other and they can always change at any time. It is in our best interest to observe and adapt to the restrictions, but sadly there will always be the idiot brigade who think they are invincible.

'So my friends In the Uk who think they’ve got it bad at the minute...'
For most, it's not about thinking it's bad at the minute, it's a matter of adjustment and change of mindset. Perhaps the author should be encouraging their friends, not implying they've got a worse situation in Cyprus.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Couldn't resist this one, sorry !........ 8)

Ps: 'This is a doddle 'imagine being locked up in a 12x8 room with an 18 stone 'sweaty illiterate,
from Notting Hill for..7 days.

"This is nuthing....nothing... 8)
6 rooms, balcony, sky, views....Beer...
TV,Broadband,Food, a mad cat, a mad cat owner,
It'll be her lunch hour in 30 minutes, she's cutting my hair.
Pss: I was also the barber in C wing of the Scrubbs for 3 months once...great fun!
Sophocles.
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

It was reported on Luxor news live last night that 3 nurses at Luxor International Hospital tested positive with coronavirus, they have closed the Oncology department down.