Egypt to exempt tourists arriving on direct flights from paying visa fees

Advice, information and discussion about Egypt in general.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Al-Masry Al-Youm
June 11, 2020
12:26 pm

The Egyptian Cabinet, during its virtual meeting Wednesday, approved a number of important decisions, including agreeing to exempt tourists arriving on direct flights from paying visa fees through October 31, 2020, the end of the summer tourist season.

The measure comes with the aim of giving Egypt a competitive advantage in the tourism market, reviving business at Egyptian tourist destinations, and bringing back the flow of tourism once international air travel resumes.

Egypt’s Ministry of Civil Aviation had previously agreed to grant a 50 percent discount on accommodation and landing fees in all tourist cities for charter trips, and a 20 percent discount on ground services at all tourist cities.

The Cabinet also approved a draft resolution amending some provisions of the executive regulations on distance education, specifically regarding vacations and online exams.

In addition, the Cabinet approved an agreement on debt owed by EgyptAir to Misr Petroleum Company.

The agreement included restructuring the debt over eights years and canceling 50 percent of the interest imposed on delayed repayment.

The agreement also granted EgyptAir one year before it has to begin repaying the debt.

The Cabinet also approved decisions and recommendations issued by the ministerial committee meeting to resolve investment disputes at its 63rd session on June 1, 2020, part of the government’s efforts to create an attractive climate for investment.

The Cabinet took action to approve the decisions and recommendations issued by the June 3 Ministerial Engineering Committee meeting regarding investment by direct order to complete 24 projects.

The Cabinet approved the proposal of the Ministry of Finance to start work on patterns of model contracts, starting the new fiscal year in July.

The Cabinet also instructed the Public Authority for Governmental Services to coordinate with concerned authorities regarding the automation of model contracts.

Edited translation from Al-Masry Al-Youm

'The agreement included restructuring the debt over eights years and canceling 50 percent of the interest imposed on delayed repayment.

The agreement also granted EgyptAir one year before it has to begin repaying the debt.'

Let's hope Egyptair can start paying off its debt soon. It would put more than a fly in the ointment if they disappeared, along with the other airlines that are disappearing or have already gone in recent times.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Egypt to exempt tourists arriving on direct flights from paying visa fees

Post by newcastle »

It’ll be interesting to see whether this not- to-be- missed offer stimulates an avalanche of tourists heading for Egypt.

Somehow...i think not.

Apart from any general misgivings one might have about the prevalence of the virus in Egypt, I suspect many countries would still view it as an “at your own risk” destination making insurance a problem.

And with the social distancing and other measures in place in hotels...is it likely to attract the usual package/hotel visitors?

Of course, semi- resident ex pats might take the risk. I’ve got a flight booked in October with EasyJet and will take it if it operates. Maybe even treat myself to a couple of beers on the visa saving.

Oops...as you were...EasyJet is scheduled not charter :x
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:02 pm Egypt to exempt tourists arriving on direct flights from paying visa fees.

Egypt’s Ministry of Civil Aviation had previously agreed to grant a 50 percent discount on accommodation and landing fees in all tourist cities for charter trips,
I am sorry but the above statement makes no sense what so ever, no way is the government of Egypt going to pay hotels for the massive 50% reduction for international tourist. The government's finances are in an absolute mess, it is borrowing from all over the world, including T-Bond at a very high interest rate, and at the end of the day Egypt's poorest people will pay. I can not believe even the present administration in Egypt will allow this.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Oh dear A-Four. :lol:

You should be used to quaint translations of Arabic by now.

The 50% reduction is to do with the landing and associated servicing fees of arriving charter flights.

Nothing to do with tourist holiday accommodation :))) :)))
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:02 pm Oh dear A-Four. :lol:

You should be used to quaint translations of Arabic by now.

The 50% reduction is to do with the landing and associated servicing fees of arriving charter flights.

Nothing to do with tourist holiday accommodation :))) :)))
Yes, I think I made that quite clear in the full post I wrote on here earlier today.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I believe the initial poster here is a little confused, the Egyptian government agreed that Egyptian people visiting tourist sites would for a limited period receive a 50% reduction on certain hotel accommodation, this certainly would not apply to the likes of the Four Seasons Hotels, etc.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

This from ElBalad, wait for the translation.... 8)
https://www.elbalad.news/4359228
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:10 pm I believe the initial poster here is a little confused, the Egyptian government agreed that Egyptian people visiting tourist sites would for a limited period receive a 50% reduction on certain hotel accommodation, this certainly would not apply to the likes of the Four Seasons Hotels, etc.
The only person confused is you :lol:

Hepzibah’s post has nothing to do with tourist accommodation..whether for Egyptians or foreigners. It’s to do with what the airlines pay in the way of landing fees etc.

The clue is in the word “charter”. As far as I know, Egyptians do not take charter flights when touring Egypt :)))

Maybe this extract from Al Ahram makes it a little clearer for you...
The civil aviation ministry had earlier decided to grant a 50 percent discount on landing and parking fees for charter planes to the country's resort cities.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/371921.aspx