Fray Bentos Pies..

Find a selection of household tips and recipes for Egyptian Foods.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Fray Bentos Pies..

Post by Who2 »

Remember those ?
Months ago as our first lockdown was instigated Simona started hoarding toilet rolls and rice ?
Me, on the other hand collected a few 'well-remembered Fray Bentos steak & kidney tinned pies.

So tonight's' dinner...
"steak et tarte à la sauce
Now they were always a nice puff pastry top and 'soggy bottom.
So if lockdowned, hungary, and remember rationing try this tip...

For me the trick with them is a massively hot oven.
When the crust has risen well, remove, decapitate and reserve.
Return and continue to allow the remaining sludge pastry to rise and crispen.
Then add in some of yesterday's 'amazing bolognese meat sauce and flip the top over to crispen up.
Serve with loads of fresh veg and a few boiled potatoes it creates a good meal,
whether you're on a budget or not.
Good value & tasty, and with double crispy pastry done this way!

Oh! and a bottle of £5quid Co-Op spanish wine,
Celeb chefs often wrongly quote: "If you wouldn’t drink it, don’t cook with it..'sod em. 8)

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Fray Bentos Pies..

Post by Who2 »

I'm now getting pop ups for caviar & fray bentos pies.. 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I remember those. Always a store cupboard staple.
I bought one a few years back to see if it tasted the same. The only difference I could detect was less meat and more gravy in the filling. Nostalgia was cured.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Thought I’d look up recent reviews of this delicacy.

This is typical.....

STEPHEN MILLS
April 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM
Seen the old favourite in a shop along with a pudding, well, i got to say, both pie and pudding are an absolute pile of crap ! If i had a dog, i certainly WOULD NOT feed this **** to it. I can’t believe food standards agency allow this product. ****** DISGUSTING is an understatement.
When i was a kid, one of these pies, chips and a fried egg was lovely. This **** has shattered my memories forever.
Please, people out there DO NOT BUY !!. Complete and utter rubbish, 2 steps down from dog food …..

Think I’ll give it a miss

Mind you...with a couple of bottles of £5 Spanish red your taste buds will be anaesthetised :lol:
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I remember a couple of years ago, arrived home from abroad about 2 in the morning, to me it was still 3 in the afternoon. Nothing in the fridge, in the cupboard a Fray Bentos pie, great I thought, I knew this would come in useful one day.

I got the tin opener, one of those wheel things with a cork screw, total disaster, would not open the damn thing, slung it in the bin, so got smashed instead.

Learnt afterwards that the problem I had was a very common thing, the company, Fray Bentos had the nearve to suggest to people who complained that they should buy one of their recommended tin openers £7-50 if you please. Anyhow my dear Dr, I wish you well with that one.

P.S.- Ever thought about Argentinan Malbec wine, only £8.
Gopha75

Post by Gopha75 »

I remember those...staggering back on the eurostar with a case load of goodies...
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

"STEPHEN MILLS
April 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM"

As a matter of course, I could never take seriously a recommendation from someone who needs to slip all of these profanities into a written, and publicly available, comment. I see it as being as stupid as an old associate of mine, who once told me that he could never eat Spam (or maybe it was generic chopped pork) as it was "poor man's meat". I cannot stand snobs!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Teddyboy wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:00 pm "STEPHEN MILLS
April 28, 2020 at 1:40 PM"

As a matter of course, I could never take seriously a recommendation from someone who needs to slip all of these profanities into a written, and publicly available, comment. I see it as being as stupid as an old associate of mine, who once told me that he could never eat Spam (or maybe it was generic chopped pork) as it was "poor man's meat". I cannot stand snobs!
Then this may be more to your taste....

mber 20, 2019
Verified Purchase
dreadful flavour, dreadful pie crust, dreadful taste and dreadful value for money.
The last thing i would order. I was living in England and thought that Frey Bentos was a good product
as it is today it is dreadful. I would not feed this to a dog not only a dog i liked. Save you money and make your own pie it will be cheaper and taste better, this is disgusting.

Of course, the repetition of “dreadful” does indicate someone of limited vocabulary and, perhaps, an equally limited ability to appreciate good food. :urm:
Jayway
Portugal

Post by Jayway »

After reading this I went to Iceland and bought one. Cooked it and was sorry I had wasted my money. To make them they start with squirting a mixture of small pieces of mystery meat into the tin, then cover with gravy, There is no pastry bottom to this pie. The top is the worst puff pastry I have ever tasted and grew alarmingly in the oven. Later the hens enjoyed but as we know they eat anything.