Questions and more questions.

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Questions and more questions.

Post by carrie »

:D I have a wooden coffee table that has been varnished but not stained. I want to paint it.
!. can I paint over the varnish?
2. if I can't how much of the varnish must I remove?
3. Will a quick rub down with glass paper be enough or does it all have to be removed?
4. If it all has to be removed where can I buy a sander?
5. When the table has been prepared for painting I want to do it in a paint that isn't shiny. A matt finish is required. Can I buy paint for wood that is matt?

Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Re: Questions and more questions.

Post by Teddyboy »

Cannot help you with the technical advice, but the best place I've found for buying tools in Luxor is Naseem Salama's. It's next to the Horus Hotel directly opposite the big Mosque behind Luxor Temple. Commonly known amongst many foreigners as the underground shop (it's down about 8 stairs from the street) or B&Q.
It's a Christian shop with fixed prices, although not labelled, and the managers sit at a desk in the middle and speak good English. But be careful, as there are may hazards once you get in there! They sell everything from the tiniest nails and screws to great big shackles for ships anchors, and bubble wrap! I could easily spend hours rummaging around in there. (And would LOVE to just now!!)
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, I know nothing really re your questions other than I believe Chalk Paint is a popular non shine paint used on wood, and is quite popular in the trend of upcycling furniture. I understand it can be bought in tins - but in Luxor I have even less of a clue - but can also be made by yourself from online recipes.

I base my knowledge above from snippets on the internet and recycle/upcycle programmes. It may be worth you lookinv it up online to see if it's suitable to your needs.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I think @Dusak is the fount of all knowledge on carpentry/DIY etc.

It’s rumoured he taught JC when the Holy family passed through Karnak in their flight from the wrath of Herod.

Would you believe it! Here he is helping the young JC with a table!
14288C16-CA35-4C6F-89D6-D36485D67F0D.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Oh Teddyboy I love that shop, they look at me when I go in as if to say "oh it's her again" then let me rummage round. All the little rooms with millions of drawers. I never know what things are called half the time in English let alone Arabic.
Once or twice I have gone in with a drawing of what I want, not a lot of success there.
Unfortunately I have been 3 times in the past two weeks and each time they have been closed.
On asking, one person said it was only open in the evening now, another that it had closed down. I will continue to look when I am passing.
Someone told me that there is a tool shop not far from your home but on the main drag, I know where they mean but is it any good?
Thank you Hepzibah I will check it out.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Carrie, for my own curiosity, after making my earlier post I had a quick search on line for 'Chalk Paint' . It came up with a lot of images of various brands, samples of furniture painted in it; How to Use; How to Make; and all sorts of other information but I had no time to look any further.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just checked it out Hepzibah, going to have a go at making chalk paint.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:59 pm Just checked it out Hepzibah, going to have a go at making chalk paint.
Hope you let us all know how you get on with it. Also, please post some before and after photographs.
-Aldous Huxley
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

Carrie, if you stand looking into our alley, there's a tool man on the left, just a door or two away with two little shops. He's fine, and that's all he sells. It's so long since we've been home (in Luxor, I mean) that I cannot recall his name. Tell him that I recommended you. He's about 30/35, good looking (probably) with glasses. There's also another, just into Gold Street, on the left, called Rubi, but he always tries to take the proverbial out of me, pricewise. Even though he carries a much more wide ranging stock, I stopped dealing with him.
If it's any help, the Arabic word for an electric sander is the same as for a (military) tank. I'd give it to you phonetically, but I've forgotten that as well! Absence doesn't make the heart grow, it just makes your brain go numb.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:20 am I have a wooden coffee table that has been varnished but not stained. I want to paint it.
!. can I paint over the varnish?
2. if I can't how much of the varnish must I remove?
3. Will a quick rub down with glass paper be enough or does it all have to be removed?
4. If it all has to be removed where can I buy a sander?
5. When the table has been prepared for painting I want to do it in a paint that isn't shiny. A matt finish is required. Can I buy paint for wood that is matt?
Carrie, give it a light sanding first, wipe off with a damp clothe then apply 1 coat of white undercoat. This is readily found in paint shops, sometimes they call it number 1 coat, number 2 being the gloss. This paint is very thick, a bit like your average male, so you need to buy a small thinner and start stairing until your wrist goes numb. There are no Matt finish paints sold here apart from black and white as far as I know, but, the undercoat can be made to whatever colour you want by mixing into it the small plastics bottles of colour add, 6Le each. You may need 2/4 of these to obtain the shade you need, and only buy a small undercoat for the job, larger if your table is a big one. Newcastle, I would of appreciated being asked first before you published a family picture, but that, I guess, is like expecting a miracle from you. ;-)
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This paint is very thick, a bit like your average male, so you need to buy a small thinner and start stairing until your wrist goes numb
Possibly a slip of the pen?

Dusak meant start stairing until you go cross-eyed.

P.S. @Dusak

Apologies. But , as they say, all publicity is good publicity! I had a wonderful response to your party- planner circular “Catering on the Cheap”
90B19BC7-4C10-4339-8031-701F9DEEE166.jpeg
I’ve been asking about bar mitzvah’s...but haven’t had much interest locally.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:08 pm
This paint is very thick, a bit like your average male, so you need to buy a small thinner and start stairing until your wrist goes numb
Possibly a slip of the pen?

Dusak meant start stairing until you go cross-eyed.

P.S. @Dusak

Apologies. But , as they say, all publicity is good publicity! I had a wonderful response to your party- planner circular “Catering on the Cheap”

90B19BC7-4C10-4339-8031-701F9DEEE166.jpeg

I’ve been asking about bar mitzvah’s...but haven’t had much interest locally.
Just cut it out.🥕
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

03A0ADDD-5827-4321-8F79-020530FB5B8B.jpeg
As you wish.

Something I said? :lol:

I think my friends have all left!
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The last supper of Billy no mates.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Thank you Teddyboy and Dusak. I will do what I have been told Dusak.

Sorry Hepzibah no photo's because I don't know how to do them.
I have had full instructions before and failed miserably.