Prices

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Prices

Post by Major Thom »

I have just read the prices for entry to the new museum in Cairo, 60le for locals and 200le for others and tourist. To think they are trying to attract tourism, they have no idea. But in keeping I suppose you can say it's the usual dual economy which all deny is happening. Article in the Mail yesterday.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Prices

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Multi layered pricing systems are not unique to Egypt.

At the equivalent of under £10 for entry, that would seem to be a reasonable price to those that live in the real world - and have an interest in wanting to visit the museum.

Major Thom, would you suggest that the allow everyone in for 60LE? Or perhaps even free? Do you really believe that if it were a lower a price that it would make any difference to tourism? I certainly don't.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Your always bragging MT about your income, I am sure that if Egyptians earned the same kind of money they would be happy to pay the higher ticket prices.
I still think they are a bargain and have no problem paying more for my tickets.
As for duel pricing elsewhere, depends on who you are and how you treat people I find.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I think its an absolute bargain when you compare it with entry ticket prices for various places in the UK and what you actually see in the Egyptian museum eg entry price to the Tower of London is £25, concession £20. I spend my summers in the UK in the seaside resort of Scarborough – entry to the ruins of Scarborough Castle there is £8, concessions £7 (great views from the headland out to sea I grant you, but very little left of the castle ruins). So I consider £10 for this Cairo Museum is excellent value for money.
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

And another thing - you criticise the dual pricing - "But in keeping I suppose you can say it's the usual dual economy which all deny is happening. "
The UK has dual pricing for entry tickets everywhere ie concessions for a certain group of people. Egypt has concession prices for a certain group of people and why not?
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

So does Turkey! The price is always cheaper for citizens - they show their ID card - and rightly so in my opinion!!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

MT talking out of his backside....as usual.

The world’s great museums.......the Metropolitan in New York, the Louvre in Paris, the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam....all more expensive.

The British Museum and others in London are the anomalies....and as hatusu points out, most places in UK charge. A day out at a National Trust venue can be quite expensive.

The Egyptians themselves receive a concessionary rate...and quite right too considering their relative poverty compared with international visitors.
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

However, there are visitors from other states that are NOT so rich to afford "dual" prices....
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:14 am However, there are visitors from other states that are NOT so rich to afford "dual" prices....
I’d be surprised if there were many visitors who could afford a trip to Egypt.....but were too poor to pay a tenner to enter what looks like being one of the world’s great museums.
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

I would say that I have heard this very same point before, so many times, from native Egyptians ....
On the other side of the same coin, a Kuwaiti friend of mine got his Museum ticket at "the Egyptians only " fee, while I've got it at WASP fee...The same "rule" applies to any Arabic speaking visitor, no matter rich or poor!
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:23 pm I would say that I have heard this very same point before, so many times, from native Egyptians ....
On the other side of the same coin, a Kuwaiti friend of mine got his Museum ticket at "the Egyptians only " fee, while I've got it at WASP fee...The same "rule" applies to any Arabic speaking visitor, no matter rich or poor!
What is a 'WASP' fee?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:23 pm I would say that I have heard this very same point before, so many times, from native Egyptians ....
I imagine a Kuwaiti could easily pass as an Egyptian. They don’t usually ask to see your passport or ID when buying entrance tickets.

I doubt a WASP would get away with it, however fluent his Arabic. :lol:

Egypt has always offered its citizens reduced rates for all sorts of services....irrespective of their age or wealth. In the UK we offer reduced rates, on certain services, to the elderly....again irrespective of their financial situation. NHS services are generally free to UK citizens whereas foreigners pay...or, at least, should do.

MT was always bellyaching about dual pricing....possibly because he was frequently overcharged.

I suspect that was more due to his gullibility than anything :lol:
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:01 pm

What is a 'WASP' fee?

White Anglo-Saxon Protestants (WASPs) are upper-class white American Protestants, usually of British descent. WASP elites dominated American society, culture, and politics for most of the history of the United States, maintaining a monopoly through intermarriage, inheritance, and nepotism.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Rather than his gullibility, MT's problems seemed to be a result of the way he treated and spoke to people.
If you think you are being overcharged, walk.
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

How do you fee paying a fee to enter place of worship, other than that of your faith?
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

How do you FEEL about it?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 pm How do you fee paying a fee to enter place of worship, other than that of your faith?
Your point being.....?
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

newcastle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm
nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 pm How do you fee paying a fee to enter place of worship, other than that of your faith?
Your point being.....?
How do you feel about it?
Should it be mandatory for visitors of a DIFFERENT religion?
Or donations?
I find it a bit strange to pay a "ticket" to enter the mosque, or a Buddhist temple.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:43 pm
newcastle wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 pm
Your point being.....?
How do you feel about it?
Should it be mandatory for visitors of a DIFFERENT religion?
Or donations?
I find it a bit strange to pay a "ticket" to enter the mosque, or a Buddhist temple.
In the UK it’s not unusual to pay an entrance fee ( or a voluntary donation) to visit a place of worship which has some historic interest. It seems to me an appropriate way of acquiring funds for the upkeep of the building.

As far as I know, there’s no compulsory charge if you’re attending a church or mosque for the purpose of worship.

The religious affiliation of the visitor is irrelevant.

Mosques, of course, are places of continuous prayer.

In Egypt, non Muslim visitors might be expected to pay if the mosque is ( for them) of no interest religiously speaking. I’ve visited several mosques as a tourist in Cairo and don’t recall paying at any....but I wouldn’t be surprised if some charge an entrance fee to obvious non Muslims.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Been in many mosques in Cairo, always welcome and never had to pay also used the loo's. I recall being taken up to the top of one mosque in Cairo to view the city from the roof, we did give the man who opened the doors and explained what we were seeing some backsheesh but we weren't asked for money.
Canterbury Cathedral however last time I visited I was asked to pay 5 GBP.