Prices

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Re: Prices

Post by HEPZIBAH »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 pm How do you fee paying a fee to enter place of worship, other than that of your faith?
I feel it is quite legitimate for a place of worship, no matter which religious umberella it or I come under, to charge a fee or request a donation from those who are not attending the actual service of worship there. Even if attending for some sort if religious ceremony, I have no problem donating either by a collection plate, offerings/ box.

It seems to me too many people expect cathedrals, abbeys, mosques, temples etc. (local or otherwise) to be open for them to go in and have a nosy around, but take no consideration of the running costs of such places.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Quote "Canterbury Cathedral however last time I visited I was asked to pay 5 GBP.

Last time I was in there was many years ago, I 'collared an aged priest as he descended from his pulpit, for a chat.
I said:
"How come the only place in here you cannot walk on is that huge Astrological inlaid floor ?
"What's that all about then ?

He smiled, coughed and never answered my simple question, 'tricky old evading priest...... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by crewmeal »

Once the famous UK catherdals were free to explore but now they charge a nominal entrance fee which I presume is for the upkeep. I wouldn't have any objection in paying a mere 200le or even 500le to see some of the famous wonders of Egypt.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

I am just thinking of what would be said in the UK if it was decided that different charges were made to different communities. They seem to get away with it there.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm I am just thinking of what would be said in the UK if it was decided that different charges were made to different communities. They seem to get away with it there.
Different charges are made for all sorts of things in the UK. They have been for donkeys years - even long before you chose not to reside here. Perhaps your memory is failing you. Let me remind you of a few:
- Many town/regional museums allow free/reduced price entry to those residing within certain local postcodes. Visitors from outside those areas pay a higher entry fee.
- Entrance fees to museums, theatres, cinemas usually have reductions for seniors, juniors, groups.
- Public transport systems have concessions for many sectors of society: children, students, elderly, disabled, etc.
- Restaurants/Cafes/Pubs often have cheaper menus for OAP's.
(During a long journey I, and my OAP (old age pensioner) friend, decided to stop for a break and something to eat. I didn't find anything on the main menu that I fancied, and I didn't want a big meal to eat either, but there was a meal on the OAP menu that tempted me. My friend ordered both meals whilst I was visiting the loo. She was told by the manager that I could not have anything from that menu as I wasn't an OAP. Yup! A dual pricing system. My friend was more indignant about it than I was, so we voted with our feet and left. Ended up having a lovely meal a bit closer to home, and worth every penny of our non 'OAP' menu. )

Those are just a few examples of multi level pricing in the UK.
'They seem to get away with it there.' Yes, they certainly do in the UK.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Indeed, whilst I was expected to pay to visit the cathedral, my daughter a local, was not.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm not sure how much my local cathedral charges these days. The last time I bought a ticket was a couple of years ago and it was £7:50, so I imagine it is about £10:00 now. However, that ticket would allow you to enter the cathedral as many times as you liked for a year. So value for money in my opinion.
-Aldous Huxley
hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

York Minster is £11.50 but worth every penny as it includes a guided tour by extremely knowledgeable volunteers. When my son and I visited 2 yrs ago we were lucky enough to be there while the cathedral choir was practising and that proved to be the icing on the cake.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Really don't know what all the fuss is about, if you don't want to pay then don't go.
If you think there is a dual pricing policy that is unfair then stay away from the place.
I for one think the charges are fair, whether it's to visit a cathedral, stately home or gardens in the UK or the tombs and temples in Egypt.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It’s quite expensive to visit the Tower of London nowadays.

But, as a resident of Tower Hamlets, I get in for a quid.

Long live dual pricing! :lol:
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:18 pm I'm not sure how much my local cathedral charges these days. The last time I bought a ticket was a couple of years ago and it was £7:50, so I imagine it is about £10:00 now. However, that ticket would allow you to enter the cathedral as many times as you liked for a year. So value for money in my opinion.
I piqued my own interest, so just had a look at the Winchester Cathedral website. Of course, they are not open to visitors and tours yet, but these are the published entrance charges.
Pay today and visit as often as you like for 12 months.
Adult – £9.95
Concession – £8.00
Student – £6.50
Children under 16 (with family) – Free

Tower tours are usually available too but I think there is usually an extra charge for this.
Either way, that all looks like good value to me - tiered pricing or not.
-Aldous Huxley
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Bringing the thread back to Egypt...
Does anyone know what the current charges for the historic sites of Luxor are these days?
Is the multi site pass still available, and if so, how much does it cost?
-Aldous Huxley
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

HEPZIBAH wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:45 pm Does anyone know what the current charges for the historic sites of Luxor are these days?
Is the multi site pass still available, and if so, how much does it cost?
Here are the latest officialy published ticket fees to enter the sites (as of Nov. 2019 !)
http://www.egyptologyforum.org/MOA/MoA_ ... 019_EN.pdf
Luxor is at page 4.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

nanavira wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:23 pm I would say that I have heard this very same point before, so many times, from native Egyptians ....
On the other side of the same coin, a Kuwaiti friend of mine got his Museum ticket at "the Egyptians only " fee, while I've got it at WASP fee...The same "rule" applies to any Arabic speaking visitor, no matter rich or poor!

I don't think this has been correctly answered for you Nanavira so let me try. What has to be understood is that the Arab world see's itself as a sort of brotherhood or family, some would say a rather dis functional one, and as for the Arab League, well it's generally known it is very rare for them to agree on anything, we only have to look at their dealings with the non Arabic nation of Ethiopia with regards its new dam.

If you are from a country like Kuwait and visiting another Arab country such as Egypt you are not really a foreigner, (in a way a little like visiting a state other than your own in the U.S.) there are even two separate words meaning foreigner, one for Arabs, one used for non Arab. To give an example of this, last week Zahi Hawass made a public statement, part of which was, "We will host the Arab and foreign press on site on April 10th". I think this make the distinction clear.

As I am sure you are aware even in one country people use different various accents or even special words, some can be quite offensive to non locals, without them even realising it. Over 25 years ago now, I heard a certain word in Luxor, which now is in common use throughout Upper Egypt to refer to western foreigners, both male and female. In my oppinion, I find it quite offensive. Most people in Lower Egypt believe it to be most disrespectful.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I can not understand all this fuss about paying to visit a Cathedral, you simply show up at Evensong, it's FREE, where you will appreciate the full atmosphere of music along with (on most days) choir. This includes the likes of York Minster, Canterbury, St Paul's, and even the Queen's own private cathedral,.....Westminster Abbey.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:28 pm ........... and even the Queen's own private cathedral,.....Westminster Abbey.
Except, as most people know, Westminster Abbey is NOT a cathedral. :ct
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

A-Four wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:28 pm I can not understand all this fuss about paying to visit a Cathedral, you simply show up at Evensong, it's FREE, where you will appreciate the full atmosphere of music along with (on most days) choir. This includes the likes of York Minster, Canterbury, St Paul's, and even the Queen's own private cathedral,.....Westminster Abbey.
I hadn't realised that there was a fuss. :roll:

I think it's fair to point out that Evensong is not the only service that may be taking place during the day. Many places of worship do not encourage [touristic style] movement about all or parts of the building during this time, so if you are going to see the inside of a particular cathedral and its treasures, evensong - free or not - is likely not the best time to visit.
-Aldous Huxley
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I suppose people have differing ideas, but to pay to walk around an often cold very old ancient building, is similar to walking around the internal areas of a West End theatre, with no audience, no cast, no real staff. All I would have to keep me company would be the signed photographs in the foyer, of long past star actors that once graced its stage, and then being charged an exorbitant price.

To be in one of the great Cathedrals such as Durham, Liverpool, Salisbury to attend an organ recital such as Wider's 5th, with acoustics that are the best ones ever going to hear, and all this for free, even quite often each summer Sunday's at St Paul's here in London free also,....and for that even I don't mind dropping a £10 note on the plate afterwards.
Teddyboy
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by Teddyboy »

A-Four, I think you may be missing the point here. A great many folk would not dream of going into a place of Christian worship other than as a detached tourist. These places often cost more to run than most regular congregations can afford, and therefore the powers-that-be actively seek tourism to help pay the bills. Christianity is anathema to most people nowadays, especially to those who serve on those bodies which govern most of what we do and/or think, or are allowed to do. It's the religion which doesn't fight back, and is therefore being side-lined at every opportunity.
(Maybe I'm on my rocky horse here, hehehe! Sorry.)
nanavira
Serbia & Montenegro

Post by nanavira »

A-Four wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:36 pm
What has to be understood is that the Arab world see's itself as a sort of brotherhood or family....

If you are from a country like Kuwait and visiting another Arab country such as Egypt you are not really a foreigner, (in a way a little like visiting a state other than your own in the U.S.) there are even two separate words meaning foreigner, one for Arabs, one used for non Arab. To give an example of this, last week Zahi Hawass made a public statement, part of which was, "We will host the Arab and foreign press on site on April 10th". I think this make the distinction clear.
Thank you for the elaboration of concept of “Arab” family. I was under impression that an Egyptian pay ticket at Egyptian fee while ALL the rest do pay “Foreigner” fee. So, it turns out that the correct spelling of fees quoted in the OFFICIAL document should be: Arabs vs Foreign (cf. Hawass).