Hobbies and Pastimes ?

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Hobbies and Pastimes ?

Post by Who2 »

err, watching the London Marathon live on tv.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p ... d-coverage

Just what was that song 'the air that I breath ? the Hollies! originally sung by albert hammond 72.

I think the winner by a mile a certain mr covid, he walked it.... 8)

Ps: Don't visit London any time soon, it will be well circulated by then...TBC...
Pss: I predict the losers to be the mask sellers...oh! and the geezer dressed as a tree...
P*ss: And only 80,000 runners and a few hundred thousand of watchers also all maskless, 'you couldn't make it up. ffs

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Hobbies and Pastimes ?

Post by Who2 »

Udate: change that only 40,000 runners...sorry....
Ps: some people are running for charity that already have some diseases or other.
My mum always said 'coughs and neezeze spread diseases, use your handkerchief like your father"... 8)
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Iv'e only observed the marathon once walked down to the thames,
Anyway it's a sunny day for them all and a question popped up ?

"Do they have toilets along the route ? 'you never see them popping in and out of toilets.
A small but important point in my book... 8)

So anyone out there know about toilets on the marathon and running 23 miles...?
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

October 2020 daily covid figures 21,000..cases
October 2021 daily covid figures 30,000..cases

October 2020 maximum spectators allowed at an Arsenal FC 2,000.
October 2021 Maximum runners at London Marathon 40,000.

So perhaps I have missed something 'We are out of the pandemic ?..... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I think you’re ignoring the figures for hospitalisations and deaths.

We’re fast approaching the situation where we’ll just have to live with covid-19 as we do with ‘flu. Both kill a number of people each year, but for the vast majority are just a nuisance.

The remaining worrying factor is the possibility of variants arising on which the existing vaccines are powerless....but no signs of that....yet. And the likelihood will diminish as more of the world population is vaccinated.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I think you’re ignoring the figures for hospitalisations and deaths.

Well let 'your fingers do the talking........... 8)
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:16 am I think you’re ignoring the figures for hospitalisations and deaths.

Well let 'your fingers do the talking........... 8)
Can’t be arsed with interpreting cryptic comments :ct
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Covid-19 in the UK
Mar
Daily cases
vs last week

Daily deaths
Total deaths
Vaccination rollout
Dec
Daily vaccinations
vs last week

Received 1st dose
72.9%
Received 2nd dose
67.0%
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@Who2

It might make this thread more comprehensible if you clearly stated the point - if any - you’re trying to make.

You seem to be concerned about reports that “ the pandemic is over” . I’ve seen no such reports...and would disagree with any such suggestion.

You seem concerned that we’re relaxing the anti- covid protocols. Well, of course we are. We can’t go on as a viable society with perpetual lockdowns. At some point, the damage caused by the virus becomes less than that caused by the measures to combat it. It’s a case of monitoring the situation and responding accordingly.

The government seem to have reached the conclusion that the level of hospitalisations and deaths caused by covid is such that the degree of social restriction can be relaxed. There’s no doubt that the level of hospitalisations and deaths has decreased to the extent that the NHS is no longer threatened by being overwhelmed...as it was in the early days.

Whether you agree with this is neither here nor there as far as the rest of us is concerned. You’re entitled to your opinion. I just wish you’d express it less cryptically :lol:
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

To answer your question about comfort breaks, it seems they just pee themselves or empty thier bowels in their shorts. Or deposit a curly wurly directly on the pavement.
Apparent it's a problem when long distance running. Paula Radcliffe was more recently famous for taking a quick comfort break on the pavement in front of a huge crowd.

So yesterday must have been national marathon day or something like that.

I was unable to take the back roads to Chester because there was a marathon going on.

If you ever see me running, then make sure you kill whatever is chasing me.... 😎

I agree with Newcastle on this covid situation, the herd immunity strategy has been playing out these last few months and the figures don't seem that bad, and at some point soon, we have to get used to living with it, just like seasonal flu and in the next year, hopefully it will all be just a bad memory.
It's probably the worst situation my generation has had to face. My parents and grandparents lived through world wars !

Next thing will be the environment, a situation which is well overdue being taken seriously . Covid has at least trodden one or 2 pathways for that to start happening.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Next thing will be the environment, a situation which is well overdue being taken seriously

How true. I’m glad i won’t be around to witness the general effect on the environment, wildlife etc and have to compare it with what I enjoyed and appreciated in my youth.

I’m not at all optimistic that the opinions and warnings of the scientists will overcome the foot-dragging of those with vested commercial interests in the status quo.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

We who have lived in Egypt understand that expats residing there lose all track of
what is happening in the rest of the world.
One of the reasons I long to return, and being honest this country has gone 'tits-up since
Brexit and that clown Johnson took control, or I should say lost control..... 8)
Ps: Every MP and radio talk-show host use the words 'coming out of the pandemic.
So, 30,000 UK new daily cases is 'coming out of the pandemic, really ? 'get a grip!
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:27 pm We who have lived in Egypt understand that expats residing there lose all track of
what is happening in the rest of the world.
One of the reasons I long to return, and being honest this country has gone 'tits-up since
Brexit and that clown Johnson took control, or I should say lost control..... 8)
Ps: Every MP and radio talk-show host use the words 'coming out of the pandemic.
So, 30,000 UK new daily cases is 'coming out of the pandemic, really ? 'get a grip!
I saw my GP the other day. He reckons we’ll all have had the virus by the end of next year. Deaths from now on will be mainly in the unvaccinated. We’ll live with it.

In a sense, a pandemic ends when it becomes “endemic”....like ‘flu. In that sense, the MPs and radio talk-show hosts are correct.

I don’t think you should get hung up on terminology.

You’ve probably got as good a chance of being infected in UK as in Egypt...but, if fully vaccinated, little chance of being badly affected. And I doubt whether the situation in either country is going to change much from now on.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A bit like talking about 'The Great American Dream, it is really only a dream.
Dream on!....... 8)
Ps: Was that an egyptian GP ?
Sophocles.
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Here in France we watch the goings on with the UK Government and their "handling" of Covid in complete disbelief.
We still wear masks inside shops and other public spaces. We carry and have to show our Covid passports to be allowed into restaurants and bars. Do we complain, no. We look at our weekly figures of 3744 new cases and 9 deaths this week and we know what we are doing is worth the effort. We can go out for a meal or a drink with friends. We can shop and get everything we need without shortages. I needed to fill the car with fuel last week. I was the only one at the pumps.
We have just returned from a month in Ireland where things were almost exactly the same but with greater emphasis on social distancing. The shops were all fully stocked and people were very friendly (once they realised our English accents had not just come over from the UK but France)
Do you realise that the UK is know as "Plague Island" by all the ex-pats living here?
For those of you trying to justify the UK returning to normality enjoy your delusions with the current government.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@ BBLUX

It is remarkable that the French seem to have accepted the tedium of covid passes without the usual protests about “ Liberté “ etc.

Probably distracted by the thousands of Catholic paedophiles they’ve just discovered :urm:
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
France

Post by BBLUX »

Nothing to do with it you old cynic!
Tell a Frenchman he may die without the vaccine and he shrugs his shoulders.
Tell him he cannot go into a bar or enjoy a good meal and he rushes to embrace the vaccine and the pass sanitaire for le joie de vivre.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I read with interest BBLUX's post.

I often read international news as seen by their nationals, such as France 24, German DW, CNN International, etc, in an attempt to get a balance view of British and world news, where as once I would also look here to learn from such old members in Australia, New Zealand, Canada, USA, Denmark, etc. It would have been interesting to how they were dealing with Covid on a local level.

Last week I went back up to the East End of London, my last home sold very quickly, from exchange to completion was three days so had little time to say goodbye. I went to two local market centres there, it was almost frightening, no one bothers with masks, they stand directly next to each other, and as for wearing a mask on a bus,.....that's a joke.

I had a chat with an old friend there, who told me at a recent open air event, mainly for the Asian community, in a local park, the local council offered food vouchers to any one who would have a Covid injection. I could not believe it, until I checked it on LBTH website.

While staying down on the South coast, we avoid the tourist areas, the people are really responsible, even buses are cleaned while still in use, people wear masks, like it or not. In my old area of London things are very different, but friends in Nice and Paris tell me you have a big Covid problem with the Arab community there.

Before the Dr comes up with that old saying 'tired of London,...tired of' etc, I was just tired of what MY part of London had become, and certainly not just because of Covid.