Remembering Carrie

Anything that does not fit elsewhere can be discussed here.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Remembering Carrie

Post by Yildez »

Today is Carol’s birthday, and the second anniversary of her death. 2 years already, it doesn’t seem possible, but the old adage is true - time goes faster as you get older. She’s still in my thoughts most days, and I don’t think that will change, but the pain of loss has become a sad melancholy that she’s gone.

At the moment the Datca peninsula is glorious with Almond blossom, from white through all the shades to deep pink, depending on the variety of the tree. It is spectacular, and Carol really wanted to see it, along with the many varieties of wild flowers that bloom at the same time. She’d planned to come in February 2020 for a couple of months, but sadly Covid put a stop to that. Many gardens in the town have at least 1 almond tree, which I can see from my balcony. I look at the fragile flowers and remember my friends face lit up in pleasure when she looked at photos of the almond groves in their beauty. That beauty is fleeting, like our lives.

Carol and I were friends for 11 years. We met through this Forum when I was planning a trip to Luxor in 2011. Our first meeting was in Sinbads! Sometimes you meet someone and instantly ‘click’ - that’s how it was with us! In 2012 I stayed in Luxor for nearly 3 months, and by the time I left our friendship had deepened to the close attachment which continued until she died. More like sisters than friends.

I’ll be raising a glass to her this afternoon in the harbour that she loved, and also remembering other Luxor friends like Stan, and Ahmed from Petra Travel. If you knew Carol perhaps you’ll do the same. Old friends, gone but never forgotten.