About photography Number 3

A place to swap ideas, share your hobbies, pass on hints and tips and discuss how you spend your free time.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

I was compelled to get my camera out for the first time in months the other day.

We were moving the garden shed to another part of the garden so I started to empty everything out. I noticed this odd thing on the inside of the roof of the shed - look a bit like a golf ball but made out of rice paper. Then I noticed a humongous wasp buzzing around it.

Needless to say (and quite sad to say) we had to remove the wasps nest but I was absolutely fascinatd with the intricate construction that had been made. I didn't know at the time - but my son told me later that it was a paper wasp. Inside this cocoon of rice paper was a little comb with tiny larvae wriggling inside. The garden really is a fascinating source of material!

Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

LLL going back to your question about what makes the difference between a snap and a good photo - I would say composition. They can include people but like Grandad said - if they provide a particular point of interest. A couple of my favourite photos of two of my grandaughters are below - I love photographing people from behind - more subtle.

Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Sorry - I'm not saying that these are good photo's - just tried to work on composition!!
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Sorry, had problems making this post in Chrome, will try again in IE
Grandad :gg:
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Interesting Ashtree that you mentioned photographing people from behind. We were at 'The White Cliffs, National Trust' Dover this morning for coffee and I spotted these three old people just sitting in contemplation. Couldn't resist a shot particularly as it is the 70th anniversary of Dunkirk and they may well have been remembering those days....they were old enough to remember. Sorry I'm getting all sentimental and nostalgic. :)

Anyhow, I softened the area around the subjects to try to focus on the three.... a mistake..also tried focal B & W, that didn't work either......but I will try a different approach later.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Very interesting about taking photos of people from behind cause these are some of my most recent and latest!!

For me taking photos of people and/or children from behind, I believe, allows for us to identify more with the subjects in the photo cause we can more easily submit our own traits and personality into the photo. Relate to it more.
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Since I'm on 'half' a roll and getting half of what I'm trying to do on here I've also added these - love birds and have been having a real challenged out in the back yard trying to cpature the Jays. Soon as I bring out the camera they disappear - WHOOSH - GONE! Can't get them to hang around AND my other photographic challenge with the 70 - 300mm lens is to actually FIND the birds fast enough through the lens. These guys were NOT moving fast so was able to get some photos of them.

Ok - seems my MAX is going to be TWO pictures....... :(
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

WOW! Lovely pictures LLL. :)

When I opened this thread Number 3, I did say that I was considering dispensing with the Fuji 6500 bridge and getting a DSLR. Didn't think I would think along those lines and that I was resigned to just snap with a compact for the rest of my days. :(

The pictures on this thread have convinced me that I will not be happy until I get a decent body with some quality glassware on the front.

I am almost decided on the Nikon D5000 with the kit 18 - 55 lens but eventually getting an F1.8 or F1.4 50mm and then a 70 - 300mm. Kit first then see how the funds run out. :)

Any comments or criticism about my camera choice warmly welcomed. ;)
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

LOVE those NIKONS!!! And am having an absolute blast with the 70-300mm lens too!
Kiya
United Kingdom

Post by Kiya »

Wow!! LLL your really coming on leaps & bounds with your pictures, they're all so lovely.
I haven't been able to get out & about lately but taking some pictures from my window & like yourself LLL & Grandad been taking folks into my pictures also, we must all be in the seem frame of mind of late.
Below I like the little boy running around his dog & the group sitting on the bench where I managed to capture a friends face looking through.
Grandad you know I don't much about camera's but hope you go ahead & treat yourself to the Nikon, I'm sure we'll see some great shots from you

[flash width=270 height=14 loop=true]ad_signatures//kiya-sig.swf[/flash]
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Grandad wrote:WOW! Lovely pictures LLL. :)

When I opened this thread Number 3, I did say that I was considering dispensing with the Fuji 6500 bridge and getting a DSLR. Didn't think I would think along those lines and that I was resigned to just snap with a compact for the rest of my days. :(

The pictures on this thread have convinced me that I will not be happy until I get a decent body with some quality glassware on the front.

I am almost decided on the Nikon D5000 with the kit 18 - 55 lens but eventually getting an F1.8 or F1.4 50mm and then a 70 - 300mm. Kit first then see how the funds run out. :)

Any comments or criticism about my camera choice warmly welcomed. ;)
More of a Canon fan myself Grandad but I believe you get more for your money with a Nikon!
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Not only do I like taking photos from behind I like taking photos in silhouette too - especially against a beautiful sunset.

Hey Grandad - I was born in Dover! Remind me to you story about it one day!

Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Ashtree, all your camera club sessions really show in your pictures...forgot to mention how much I like the mono one of your grand daughters walking away between the fenced road. :) I realised that the SLR style with an enormous zoom does lack something on quality.....so I am looking forward to getting back to an SLR that I gave up well over ten years ago.

I ordered it today and have already put my old camera on ebay...why wait? :)

I also long to get a 50mm with big aperture, 1.4 if funds will run to it. :roll:

Didn't quite get your comment
Remind me to you story about it one day!
Ashtree? Anyway, we live in Canterbury and the White Cliffs visitor centre is a frequent destination for coffee and a walk along the cliff tops. :)

PS. I went for the Nikon because I thought the tilting screen may help with my worsening eye sight and difficulty to see the screen image. Left eye not bad for EV finder. ;)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Before I retire for the night I found this shot of a young girl alone with her thoughts (and bottle of water) at Sissinghurst in Kent. Just another rear view pic.

Nite all...zzzzzzzzzzzz
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Wonderful photos by you all! Love the sillouettes...haven't made those yet but 'soon'! Am really getting the hang of the camera now but am getting more adventuresome and actually KNOWING what I'm doing!

There 2 are favs.......Again - one from the back BUT the other one from the front....

I'm finding that (to me) what I consider my better shots are more close ups with lots of detail. Grandad you have a great 'eye' for lots of different shots and perscpectives! You are going to LOVE a DSLR!

Again am not sure 'why' I can't seem to get photos to post here (AND BTW - THANKS KEEFY for sorting out the mess I left on L4U last night!)

edit don't know why but I just fixed these...Barry
Ashtree0
United Kingdom

Post by Ashtree0 »

Congratulations on taking the leap back to SLR Grandad - I'm sure you won't regret it and will definitely be giving us a run for our money in the photo comp!!! Must admit I've not been very active with the camera of late - focusing on turning the side of my house into a Moroccan style courtyard and planting my veg for the summer!

I'll PM you my story about Dover Castle - don't want to bore everyone with it!!
LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux »

Thanks Barry for "fixing" the photos. Dunno why but I'm having a devil of a time getting them to appear. Thanks again! Much appreciated.

And Grandad - I think I missed summen - are you getting a new SLR or DSLR? I think I mis-read cause I thought you were moving to a digital. Either way I just love the photos you take! Looking forward to seeing more. Am gone for a week now but will post a few photos when I return cause am positive I'll take a bizillion! That could be considered a drawback of a DSLR. You CAN take so many on the off-hand chance that one will turn out ok (that was my theory when I first started using the Digital.) I first learned delete and was so sure that something would turn out I don't think I really concentrated too much on what would make a decent photo!
FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by FABlux »

Looking for something totally unrelated :oops: and spotted this old thread viewtopic.php?t=17990 and thought maybe some of you could add to the L4U garden, it is in need of rejuvenating :)
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Ashtree I am like a kid waiting for a special Christmas present to be delivered. My No.2 son, son in law and a nephew have decent Nikon and Canon cameras and I always admire the clarity of their shots. I have found the electronic viewfinder more difficult recently even with my good eye :( But having been to Dixons and tried all the DSLR's I find the TTL viewfinder is much better.

LLL, when making reference to SLR it was my much loved old Minolta 7000 roll film camera that I was referring to. Wish I had kept my lenses because they would be compatible with Panasonic DSLR today. As it was my cameras and kit went to all points from USA to Japan, west to east that is.

That's a nice nostalgic link back Fab....and a much missed Chas will be popping up in links like that for years to come.......We were in Aswan 2 weeks ago and 'The Sudan' Sidewheeler was moored along the East Bank Corniche....thought about Chas then because paddlers were one of his passionate interests...
Last edited by Grandad on Fri May 21, 2010 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member
Cambodia

Post by Bearded Brian »

So much sunsine today I decided to do some sunbathing.