Slow Train Through Africa with Griff Rhys Jones

Discuss your favourite forms of entertainment; games, music, dvd's, films, TV, books, singers and songwriters, Exchange gossip about the stars and download your favourite music.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I'm sure there are some train enthusiasts on this forum, and also those who are interested in North African countries other than Egypt. If I'm right, this programme may be for you.

Slow Train Through Africa with Griff..., Episode 1
TFriday 10th April on ITV from 9:00pm to 10:00pm
Griff Rhys Jones attempts five remarkable train journeys across the world's most spectacular continent, Africa. In the first episode, Griff begins a 1700-mile trip across North Africa in Marrakech, where he stocks up with items from the souk - including some traditional Berber medicines. His North African train ride then takes him east on a line that links the great trading cities of Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia. In the ancient city of Fes, Griff enlists the help of Morocco's most eccentric guide to make sure he does not get lost in the medieval streets and medinas. Then it is on to Tunis, from where Griff heads south towards the desert and his final destination, Tozeur. AD SUB
Documentary

I'm looking forward to this. I've done a little bit of train travel around Morocco and it's a very efficient, comfortable and cheap method of transport there, although much of the country is not serviced by trains but has excellent choices of coach services.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Slow Train Through Africa with Griff Rhys Jones

Post by Brian Yare »

I am wondering whether another episode will include the Nile Valley through Egypt or the fortnightly train from Wadi Halfa to Khartoum. It is too late for the desert railways from Kharga to Safaga via Qena. :-(
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I've only read the details for tonight so far. It may be that the programme details are given for the whole series, programme by programme. Check out the ITV website.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I've only read the details for tonight so far. It may be that the programme details are given for the whole series, programme by programme. Check out the ITV website.
"Griff travels through Morocco, Algeria and Tunisia, Kenya and Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe, Namibia and South Africa. He experiences the extraordinary diversity of Africa, on and off the railways, drawing together a rich and entertaining narrative. " :-(