visa

What is it like to live in Luxor? Share your experiences of Luxor's culture.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: visa

Post by A-Four » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:46 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Good on them for doing proper checks before they dish out the visas. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.
Really, I think it's only Robbo here who makes any sense of how the situation is in present day Egypt, and any one who is a guest in that dear old country, at this present moment should understand the pressure that is upon its national security service. Long gone are the days when one simply dealt with the local Amdowla.

Incidently, every tourist and so called ex-pat was regularly checked out by those people, when their 'regional office' was next to Luxor Museum, I remember once when they thought it might be prudent to kick yours truly out of the country, so pity some of you lot, should the s**t hits the fan, and what's more you might not even realise it's hit the fan until it's too late.

Believe me, I know.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:40 pm

It's not obvious to me that curtailing tourist visas to 3 months has much to do with security.

They are still letting Europeans in with visa on arrival & "no questions asked". Plenty of time for them to get up to mischief.

Or are they concerned about "sleeper cells" of terrorists lurking in Luxor, Hurghada, Sharm etc. waiting and plotting?

If it was about "security" then the logical approach would be (as proposed earlier this year) to require visa applications in advance of arrival.

(I haven't heard any more about the "on line" application system)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:59 pm

My point is though Newcastle is that, all Europeans arriving at the caccoons in Egypt, as I call them are checked by the national security service within 24 hours of their arrival in both Sharm and Hurgarda, and they know exactly where each individual is staying. The problem these days with Luxor is that often people are arriving from Europe, and staying at places that are not registered, for various reasons, with the National Security Service.

I honestly do not see any problem for long term residents there, but if they have 'guests' staying with them on a regular basis, and do not bother to register them, which has been the case by some, then they could quite easily find their presence in Egypt is no longer required, and I know these people do not give a fig how much property one might own, or think they own.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:20 pm

A-Four many people arriving in Hurghada, Sharm etc. are not staying there but moving on to somewhere else so how a check by the security forces is any different there than it is here in Luxor I fail to understand.
As Glyph so often reminds us we are living here on a visitors visa, if the authorities decide not to renew the visa then there's not a lot anyone can do about it.
Question for Dusak, are the meetings still held with the British officials and if so are visa's ever discussed?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:52 pm

carrie wrote:A-Four many people arriving in Hurghada, Sharm etc. are not staying there but moving on to somewhere else so how a check by the security forces is any different there than it is here in Luxor I fail to understand.d
The only way any European got out of Luxor in the old days without the authorities immediately knowing about it, was when you used the trains. If you got off in either Asswan or Cairo then fine, any station in between you were met by intelligence officials, long before you got off that station.

I don't know what the present day precautions in Egypt are, but I assure you Carrie, they will know more than you or I, in keeping track of non Egyptians in their country.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:34 am

A-Four wrote:My point is though Newcastle is that, all Europeans arriving at the caccoons in Egypt, as I call them are checked by the national security service within 24 hours of their arrival in both Sharm and Hurgarda, and they know exactly where each individual is staying. The problem these days with Luxor is that often people are arriving from Europe, and staying at places that are not registered, for various reasons, with the National Security Service.

I honestly do not see any problem for long term residents there, but if they have 'guests' staying with them on a regular basis, and do not bother to register them, which has been the case by some, then they could quite easily find their presence in Egypt is no longer required, and I know these people do not give a fig how much property one might own, or think they own.
If you think they process each & every landing card (assuming it's legible), investigating in some way the individual concerned (via their passport number?), you're living in cloud cuckoo land :lol:

In Hurghada alone thousands arrive every day. It would be a Herculean task even for a committed and efficient security apparatus.

Unless the individual is involved in some incident, or attempts to leave having overstayed his entry visa, the police are blissfully unaware of their presence & whereabouts. Hotels generally submit a list of guests, or so I assume, but I don't think the police have the resources to go crawling through such lists.

Even 'over-stayers' are usually subject to no more than a piffling fine at the airport.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am

carrie wrote:A-Four many people arriving in Hurghada, Sharm etc. are not staying there but moving on to somewhere else so how a check by the security forces is any different there than it is here in Luxor I fail to understand.
As Glyph so often reminds us we are living here on a visitors visa, if the authorities decide not to renew the visa then there's not a lot anyone can do about it.
Question for Dusak, are the meetings still held with the British officials and if so are visa's ever discussed?
No carrie, the wardens seem to have died the death, not heard anything, nor had contact from the BE for many months. Although a grand scale 'what if' escape strategy, a wasted effort me thinks. Besides, there are so few of us left now a taxi would be enough to transport us.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:27 pm

Perhaps its time they followed other countries and get a little more strict. For a longer visitor stay, proof of income and a sponsor, and an itinery of your plans and where exactly you will be staying. For longer term, a greater income, sponsor or spouse, and a basic exam for Arabic, spoken and written to show you can manage in an emergency and get by without being a drain on the system.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:29 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Perhaps its time they followed other countries and get a little more strict. For a longer visitor stay, proof of income and a sponsor, and an itinery of your plans and where exactly you will be staying. For longer term, a greater income, sponsor or spouse, and a basic exam for Arabic, spoken and written to show you can manage in an emergency and get by without being a drain on the system.

Here again, it's Robbo, with the common sense element,..........after all, it is what is expected of any long stay person in the U.K.,............though I'm sure there will be others who will think their life in Egypt is a special case.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:32 pm

They don't need to follow other countries, they just need to go back to the way it was before. In the 90s and possibly even the early 00s, you had to bring receipts showing you had exchanged at least $180 in hard currency via official exchange places for every month you wanted to extend your visa. Bump that up to $500 for inflation and that would at least eliminate the bottom scrapers who are funding their stay from local illegal activities or who are getting by on the real cheap beyond what a tourist should actually be spending. It's no wonder the seedy characters started settling in once those rules went by the wayside.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:39 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:...or who are getting by on the real cheap beyond what a tourist should actually be spending.
I had no idea about the old rules.

I am curious. Who would decide, or how would it be decided how much a tourist actually be spending? Is there already a model for this when it comes to working out prospective income for tourism over a specified period?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:21 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Perhaps its time they followed other countries and get a little more strict. For a longer visitor stay, proof of income and a sponsor, and an itinery of your plans and where exactly you will be staying. For longer term, a greater income, sponsor or spouse, and a basic exam for Arabic, spoken and written to show you can manage in an emergency and get by without being a drain on the system.
A drain on the system??

:))) :))) :)))

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeh Newcastle, now many wasted man hours in the police station trying to fix the problems of the long term visitors who got ripped off and don't have a pot to pee in, with the costs of translators. I am fairly sure the police and tourist police would welcome the weeding out of the visitors to stop mithering them because it turned out Mohammed wasn't different after all. How many wasted man hours for the secret police following or finding undesirable visitors? It all costs money to the government.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 pm

Robbo70 wrote:Yeh Newcastle, now many wasted man hours in the police station trying to fix the problems of the long term visitors who got ripped off and don't have a pot to pee in, with the costs of translators. I am fairly sure the police and tourist police would welcome the weeding out of the visitors to stop mithering them because it turned out Mohammed wasn't different after all. How many wasted man hours for the secret police following or finding undesirable visitors? It all costs money to the government.
I think you'll find the authorities have zero sympathy for tourists ripped off by gooey-eyed Mohameds or dodgy real estate agents. Nor do they give them any worthwhile assistance (quite rightly so IMO).

You're talking about a miniscule issue when it comes to long term stayers.

Presumably the tourism police are there to help tourists (but you wonder....). If they want tourists, they need to provide the infrastructure to handle them. They don't do too well in this regard

Tourists contribute significantly to Egypt's economy.

By all means restrict visas to 30 days....but don't say it's about "security" or that the longer term stayers are a drain on the system

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:04 am

In Turkey a tourist visa is valid for 90days in a period of 180 days - after 90 days you have to leave the country and cannot re-enter until 90 days have lapsed. The alternative is a Residence Permit, which requires that you have Turkish health insurance, proof of a minimum monthly income of 1000TL, about $500, either deeds to a property or a notorised rental agreement, and an official form showing you are registered at your address with the local council (and therefore police).

If you overstay a tourist visa, or cannot show a valid Residence Permit, if you're stopped by the police or try to leave Turkey you face a large fine and can be refused re-entry for 5 years. If you're caught working illegally it's instant deportation and a five year ban on re-entry.

Complaining about having to renew your visa every 3 months? Seems a pretty easy option to me!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:40 am

Yildez wrote:
Complaining about having to renew your visa every 3 months? Seems a pretty easy option to me!
BENNU wrote:
Glyphdoctor wrote:
That tourists have it easier in Egypt than they would anywhere else and then complain, it's shameful and selfish and downright delusional.
Who is complaining?
Has anyone complained? :ni:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:10 am

After a long and 'heady night with my mates, We are discussing this very issue and related subjects over breakfast.
It's as if they do-not want tourists or ex-pates living or visiting here anymore.
Bank charges, visa's, tourists hassles, flight costs, it all mounts up without talking about Daeesh.
My mates have put over 2.5million through the banks, myself over 700,000le.
The only people that seem to be benefiting are the Archeologists and only because 'the prat in the hat is not around anymore... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:03 pm

Yildez I'm sure the majority of ex pats would be more than happy to comply with the sort of requirements you list if it gave them a Residence Permit, unfortunately that is not an option here :(

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:56 am

You'll probably find that the passport office has a target to reach of X number of visas per year (or they get commission per visa) - with the drastic reduction in the number of tourists the only way to achieve their target is to make the long term tourist buy 4 a year rather than just one.

Or they could be using the number of visas issued to help in the calculations of how many tourists still visit Egypt - giving the impression that the tourist industry is doing better than it actually is.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Just as a matter of interest..what's the procedure if your visa ISN'T renewed?
Are you given a set amount of time to attend to and settle your affairs there?
Do you have to leave the country immediately?
Do you have the right to appeal the decision?
Can you be incarcerated for staying without a visa?
Do you leave the country for a certain amount of time and are then able to re-enter with a brand new visa,etc,etc?

What does the process entail and how strictly is it implemented?